You limited your search to:

  Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
 Decade: 1940-1949
 Collection: Austin History Center General Collection Photographs
[Altar Boys at St. David's Episcopal Church]
Photograph of two altar boys kneeling at the altar of St. David's Episcopal Church. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123991/
[Anna Duval Bank's Spring Dance Recital]
Photograph of Anna Duval Bank's Spring Dance Recital with a row of five young girls, including Sharon Ward (second from the front) and Elizabeth Ann Curry (third from the front), wearing drummer costumes and sitting on wooden chairs. They are holding drums decorated with cartoon characters on their laps. Champ Howell, a young boy wearing a similar costume, sits at the end of the row. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124166/
[Arch construction of the Negro Recreation Building, now Doris Miller Auditorium, in Rosewood Park]
Photograph of the construction of an arch at the Negro Recreation Building, now Doris Miller Auditorium, in Rosewood Park. A man in a fedora sits astride a semi-circular laminated wooden truss, working on joining it at the center. This truss, and two completed trusses in the background are framed against the sky. The trusses are supported by posts, and temporarily joined together with wooden cross braces. The top of a wooden scaffold is visible in the lower right corner of the image. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124740/
[Ariel view of Camp Swift including Headquarters, Post Finance Office, U. S. Post Office and north cantonment area]
Photograph of an aerial view of Camp Swift Headquarters, Finance Building, U. S. Post Office and a portion of the north cantonment area. The long wooden buildings are arranged parallel to each other, with the two-story Headquarters building in the center and the one-story Finance and Post Office buildings to each side. A flag pole with flag is visible in the foreground, and the cantonment area buildings are in the background. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124749/
[Army enlisted men and women in civilian dress pose with leis at the Austin USO Club]
Photograph of a group of soldiers standing on a stage with women at the U.S.O. Club. All are wearing leis, and some of the soldiers wear white t-shirts with their uniform pants. Most of the women are wearing colorful cotton dresses or skirts. One couple is holding a U.S.O. flag. Two soldiers and one woman are standing on a ladder leading up to the stage. The people look like they are participants in a Hawaiian-themed party or show. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124164/
Austin Athletic Club at Shoal Creek by House Park
Photograph of rear exterior of the Austin Athletic Club at Shoal Creek by House Park. Visible are: a tennis court; benches for watching matches; two workers changing out screens on the second floor windows. The first organized recreation center in Austin was the privately owned Austin Athletic Club, built in 1923, by William T. Caswell. In 1931. Mr. Caswell sold the club to the City of Austin for "a small remuneration". The name of the center was officially changed to the Austin Recreation Center in 1970. After substantial damage, due to the Memorial Day flood of 1981 that center was closed after the existing center was built and opened in 1986. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124723/
Austin, "The Friendly City"
Photograph of the Texas State Capitol. The photograph appeared on the front of a card given out by the Austin Chamber of Commerce. The back of the card reads as follows, "This Card Certifies that Geo. A. Newgent representing A. J. Maloney Co is a member in good standing of the Austin Chamber of Commerce". The card is signed by the president and the manager of the Austin Chamber of Commerce and states that it will expire Dec. 31, 1949. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124091/
[Austin, TX]
Photograph of the city of Austin looking northeast from the Calcasieu Lumber Company. The Walter Tips Co. Hardware store can be seen on the north side of the street. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123906/
[Bathers at Barton Springs Pool]
Photograph of bathers standing and splashing in Barton Springs wading pool near the waterfall. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124419/
[Beverly S. Sheffield at desk]
Photograph of Beverly Sheffield sitting at his desk. He holds a fountain pen above some papers. Sheffield wears a short-sleeved, button-up shirt and has glasses. A phone sits at his left elbow. His desk sits near a wall with two windows and a radiator. His name plate reads "B. S. Sheffield." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124808/
[Boys making model airplanes at the Pan American Recreation Center in Austin]
Photograph of a group of six Latino youth making balsa-wood airplanes from a Comet brand "Air-Age Educational Kit" at the Pan American Recreation Center (Pan American Community Center), 300 Comal Street, in Austin. The boys are working at two picnic tables placed end-to-end. Several other people, including a girl, two boys, a man and a woman, stand behind the table either observing or assisting. There is a Mexican tourism poster featuring a woman, with her hair in braids, holding a basket of fruit on the wall behind one of the tables. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124810/
[Children around USN sand sculpture at Sandcraft]
Photograph of a group of children around a sandbox with a sand sculpture of an anchor and the initials U.S.N. (United States Navy) imprinted over it at Sandcraft Park. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124747/
[Construction of the Rosewood Recreation Center, now Doris Miller Auditorium, in Rosewood Park]
Photograph of construction of the Negro Recreation Building in Rosewood Park. Three men stand on the back of a 1930s flat bed truck, as they use a crane mounted on the truck to lift half of a laminated wooden semi-circular arched truss into place. Two of the trusses are already completed in the background. The scaffolding used to support workers joining the trusses at their centers stands to the back of the truck. The trusses are joined by cross members, and the half truss erected to the left in the photograph is supported by a post, awaiting the other half of the truss. Two wooden saw horses and several stacks of bags of cement(?) are on the ground under and near the trusses. This photograph appeared in the 1944 Annual Report of the Austin Recreation Department, on page 48, labeled "New Gymnasium - Auditorium at Rosewood". texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124741/
[Dress fitting at Pan American Recreation Center]
Photograph of a woman standing with her right arm lifted while a seamstress works on the waistline of her dress. More women are working on sewing machines or sewing by hand. Several women measure and cut fabric in the back. This sewing room was in the old Pan American Recreation Center at 3rd Street and Comal Street. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124783/
[East 1st Street]
Photograph of East First Street looking west from San Marcos Street after track removal. Lockhart Ice Cream store sign visible on left. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125099/
East First Street
Photograph of East First Street looking west from San Marcos Street, after track removal. Cagles Place, Lockhart Ice Cream and Heep Dairy Products are on the south side of the street. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123935/
[Elisabet Ney Museum]
Photograph of the exterior of the Elisabet Ney Museum. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123844/
[Entrance to Memorial Park Cemetery]
Photograph of entrance to Memorial Park Cemetery, showing Sexton's residence and office. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123979/
[Front exterior of Governor's Mansion]
Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion east elevation and walkway leading up to the front door. The walkway is lined with shrubs, and there are evergreens at each side of the entry stairs. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1941 was Governor Coke R. Stevenson. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124128/
[Front Exterior of Governor's Mansion]
Photograph of the front exterior of the Governor's Mansion. This view shows the east elevation and walkway, with large trees at the curb, screened porch, and carriage house is visible in background. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124028/
[Golfer teeing off at Municipal Golf Course]
Photograph of a man teeing off at the start of a drive on the Austin Municipal Golf Course. His golf bag lies on the ground behind him. Trees are visible in the background. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road, has served its citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124608/
[Golfers putting on green at Austin Municipal Golf Course]
Photograph of a man putting while a man in a suit looks on. Men are standing in the background. The Austin Municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road, has served its citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124603/
[Golfers putting on green at Municipal Golf Course]
Photograph of a man in suit putting while another golfer looks on. Golfers stand and sit in the shade under trees in the background. The Austin Municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road, has served its citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124602/
[Golfers putting on Municipal Golf Course green]
Photograph of Four men at putting green on the Austin Municipal Golf Course. Their golf bags lie on the ground at the far edge of the green. Golfers are visible in the background. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road, has served its citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124609/
[Golfers teeing off at Austin Municipal Golf Course]
Photograph of a group of men teeing off in front of the Municipal Golf course club house. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road, has served it's citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124604/
[Governor O'Daniel & Molly in front of Governor's Mansion]
Photograph of Governor O'Daniel and Molly posing in front of the Texas Governor's mansion after a recent snowfall. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124025/
[Governor's Mansion]
Photograph of the Governor's Mansion taken from the front lawn. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124450/
[Governor's Mansion]
Photograph of a photograph of the Texas Governor's mansion taken around 1898 before additions were made to the mansion. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124456/
[Governor's Mansion]
Photograph of the Texas Governor's mansion taken from 11th Street and Lavaca Street. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124123/
[Governor's Mansion]
Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion east elevation and front entrance. Concrete steps leading up to a walkway flanked by potted plant urns. The upper porch is screened. Trees obscure the left side of the mansion. A swing hangs on the right (north) side of the porch. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124615/
[Governor's Mansion]
Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion showing the east elevation, grounds, walkway, screened upper porch, flag pole, and Carriage House. The roof of the house is obscured by green foliage from several trees on the front lawn. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1945 was Governor Coke R. Stevenson. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124154/
[Governor's Mansion]
Photograph of a partial view of the Texas Governor's mansion, possibly taken from the back lawn. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124367/
[Governor's Mansion]
Photograph of a side view of the Texas Governor's mansion. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124368/
[Governor's Mansion]
Photograph of the front entrance of the Texas Governor's mansion. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124366/
[Governor's Mansion behind trees and under snow]
Photograph of Texas Governor's Mansion grounds with snow, trees, greenhouse visible, south and front elevation. Seen from West 10th and Colorado Streets. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and continuously occupied since 1856. The mansion was occupied by Governor W. Lee O'Daniel and his wife Molly in 1940 when this image was taken. The mansion was named a Texas historic landmark in 1962 and a National historic landmark in 1970. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124112/
[Governor's Mansion from grounds]
Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion front and north elevations showing the grounds and a partial walkway, obscured by grass, bushes, and a flagpole. The upper porch is screened. The carriage house is visible behind the house. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1941 was Governor Coke R. Stevenson. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124127/
[Group of African American women in the Negro War Recreation Council Building]
Photograph of a group of African American women seated in a reading room at the Negro War Recreation Council Building and bus depot, located in the former city market building at 702-14 East Avenue (now I-35). The group is seated in a "U" shape, facing a woman seated at a the head table. Books, a four-drawer card file, magazines, and a radio line the back wall. On the wall there is a war bond poster which reads: "Don't let that shadow touch them, Buy WAR BONDS", where the "shadow" is in the shape of a swastika and three children cower in its wake. There is a wall-mounted electric fan to the right of the war bond poster, and a fur coat hangs on a coat hook on the left window wall. A hand-made poster on a window at the back reads: "ATTENTION, Have you written a Letter home to-day? Writing facilities may be obtained at the information desk. Books and Magazines are available in the office for SERVICE MEN." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124811/
[Group teeing off at the Municipal Golf Course]
Photograph of a group of golfers getting ready to tee off in front of the Austin Municipal Golf Course club house. Their golf bags are on the ground around them. The club house is visible in the background. The shadow of a tree is on the green in the foreground. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road, has served its citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124611/
[Interior of Austin Atheltic Club with scaffolding before painting]
Photograph of interior view showing the scaffolding used in painting the interior of the Austin Athletic Club building and the condition of building before painting. Volleyball nets stretch across two courts, with empty bleachers visible in background. The first organized recreation center in Austin was the privately owned Austin Athletic Club, built in 1923, by William T. Caswell. In 1931. Mr. Caswell sold the club to the City of Austin for "a small remuneration". The name of the center was officially changed to the Austin Recreation Center in 1970. After substantial damage, due to the Memorial Day flood of 1981 that center was closed after the existing center was built and opened in 1986. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124725/
[Interior view of the Negro War Recreation Council Building with 3 women and 3 Soldiers around a table]
Photograph of the interior of the Negro War Recreation Council Building, located at 702-14 East Avenue (now I-35) in the former city market building, showing a group of African Americans, including 3 women and 3 soldiers in uniform. Four of the women and men are seated in couples at a table, while the remaining soldier is sitting on the table as the woman stands in front of it. All of the women are nicely dressed; one has a fur collar and hat, and one has flowers in her hair. The building, which also served as a bus depot, has several wooden benches, roughly constructed of lumber. Several of the windows to the rear of the photograph are decoratively painted with stars, patriotic shields and the letter "V". Three single glass globe pendant light fixtures are visible hanging from the open vaulted ceiling. The market building was originally constructed as a 1935 Public Works Administration (PWA) project, which opened in June 1935. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124812/
[Last streetcar in front of Palm School, Austin, Texas]
Photograph of an Austin Street Railway Company streetcar in front of the Palm School on First Street (now Cesar Chavez), reportedly taken on the last day of streetcar service in Austin. A group of children and a few women, possibly students and teachers, are standing on the sidewalk in front of the school, waving at the streetcar. There is a blurred car in the foreground, about to pass the streetcar on the right, and another car is behind the streetcar on the right side of the photograph. The Austin Chronicle reported on July 21, 2000 that "(t)he last day for Austin's streetcars came on February 7, 1940. By June (1940), most of the tracks had been torn up and paved over. The last tracks were removed in 1942, providing 50,000 pounds of steel for use in World War II." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124369/
[Municipal Golf Course tool house]
Photograph of the tool house at the Municipal Golf Course. Boards, concrete slabs, and sand are visible along the side of the house. A man stands near a truck on the right. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124588/
[Municipal Golf Course view of rough]
Photograph of the rough from the green at the Municipal Golf Course in Austin. Trees are the visible challenges on either side of the course. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124587/
[Negro War Recreation Council Headquarters building]
Photograph of the Negro War Recreation Council Headquarters building, a concrete frame building located at 702-14 East Avenue (now I-35) in the former city market, repurposed as a bus depot and recreation building for African American soldiers. The windows are 6/6 configuration, many of which are decoratively painted with stars, patriotic shields and the letter "V". The 5-panel double wooden entrance doors, at the center of the photograph, each have painted or decal flags on the second horizontal panel from the top. The sign above the doors reads: "HEADQUARTERS, SUB-BUS STATION, NEGRO WAR RECREATION COUNCIL". To the left of the doors sits a 1930s-era sedan, and to the left of that is a ground-mounted sign that reads: "SUB-BUS STATION for COLORED SOLDIERS". There is a large flag pole, without a flag, visible to the rear of photograph. A wooden bench sits in front of the right building bay. There are several suitcases on the bench, and an overcoat appears to be draped over some of them. The market building was originally constructed as a 1935 Public Works Administration (PWA) project, which opened in June 1935. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124815/
New Sanitation Truck
Photograph of the new City of Austin Sanitation Division sanitation truck. The truck in the photograph is a 1939 General Motors dump truck. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123930/
[Old Austin Power Plant boiler room building]
Photograph of a tilted view of the east facade of a boiler room at the old Austin Power Plant, near the site of the existing Seaholm Power Plant at 800 West Cezar Chavez Street. The concrete building has metal commercial windows and a vent stack is visible to the left of the building. A railroad bridge is visible in the background. Constructed during the 1930s, this building was demolished in the 1960s. A rubber stamp on the verso of the print reads: "BOONE's, FEB 25 1942, Austin, Texas". Boone Photo Company offered both photo finishing and commercial photography services. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124571/
[Power Lines at the Power Plant]
Photograph of power lines on the river side of the Seaholm Power Plant. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124569/
Removing Street Car Tracks on East 1st
Photograph of two construction workers using jackhammers to remove the street cars tracks on East 1st Street. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123946/
[Rio Grande Campus in Winter]
Photograph of Austin High School, Rio Grande Campus, after snowfall. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123854/
Santa Rita Street
Photograph of a view down Santa Rita Street looking West from Perdenales in East Austin. L.A. Preston Food Store can be seen on the South side of the street. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123970/
FIRST PREV 1 2 NEXT LAST