You limited your search to:

  Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
 Decade: 1880-1889
1887 Graduating class of Austin High School
Photograph of the 1887 graduating class of Austin High School. Front row (left to right): Pearl Caswell, Nannie Kelley, Florence Collins, Lucille James. Middle row (left to right): Eliza Mitchell, J. H. Bryant (professor), Minnie Sykes. Back row standing (left to right): unidentified woman, Mila Morris, Janie Maxwell, unidentified woman, Eve Sadler, Gertrude Whitis, Helen Grant, and William Gorden. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124190/
[Anderson High School students]
Photograph of Anderson High School students lined up outside the schoolhouse which is either at Olive and Curve Streets or at Pennsylvania Street (currently Kealing Middle school). This class is composed of mostly female African American students. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124574/
Athol Estes Porter Autograph book
Autograph album belonging to Athol Estes, includes 10-line two stanza poem. First letters of first five lines acrostically spell Athol (first letters of lines) and Estes (last letters of lines). Signed "W.S.P." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth139322/
[Austin City Administration, 1881]
Photograph of Austin city administration: Standing L to R: J.W. Howard, Treasurer; C.D. Johns, Attorney; Ben Thompson, City Marshall; E.B. Connell, City Clerk; - Sitting L to R: Fred A. Sterzing, City Assessor; Mayor L.M. Crooker; Dr. R.H.L. Bibb, Physician. The city was incorporated in 1836 when Republic of Texas Vice President Mirabeau B. Lamar proposed that the state capital, then located in Houston, be moved to the area that sat just north of the Colorado River in the township then called Waterloo. Shortly thereafter, the city was renamed in honor of Stephen F. Austin. 1881 was the year that Austin public schools first held classes, and the University of Texas opened its doors shortly afterwards in 1883. Austin continued to expand throughout the 1880s and late 19th century. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123860/
Birds Eye Map of Austin
Birds eye map of Austin showing downtown, the river, and the University of Texas main building. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124693/
The Burning Capitol
View of the Capitol as it burns looking north from the corner of 11th and Congress. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125136/
[Cancelled Checks to W. S. Porter]
Cancelled checks written by Maddox Bros. & Anderson all made out to W. S. Porter. Some are endorsed on the back by Porter. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth139283/
Capitol Dedication
Parade south down Congress Avenue from the Capitol. Caption reads: "Chichasaw Guard from Murpheesburo, Tenn." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125135/
Capitol under construction
Photograph of the construction site for the current Capitol building, constructed 1881-1888. View is from the Travis County Courthouse located on 11th Street. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125106/
Downtown Austin
Photograph of downtown Austin with Capitol under construction. Caption reads, "Birdseye view of Austin, Texas taken from School for Deaf showing the Capitol Bldg under construction. Note that west wing of main bldg of University was only partly built at that time." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125112/
[Effie Roach Hofer Autograph Album]
Autograph album belonging to Effie Roach Hofer. It includes page a 10-line verse poem entitled "Poetry," with drawing of fiddle and pointing finger and hand, signed "W.S. Porter/Secretary Jolly Brothers." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth139323/
[Exterior of Driskill Hotel]
Photograph of a northwest view of the exterior corner of the Driskill Hotel. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124044/
[Exterior of Driskill Hotel]
Photograph of a corner view of the Driskill Hotel taken from the southeast corner of 6th Sreet and Brazos. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124043/
Goddess of Liberty with Workers
Capitol construction crews surrounding the Goddess of Liberty statue that was later placed on top of the Capitol dome. Right side, back row, fifth from right with mustache is identified as Hans Falkenberg. This original iteration of the Goddess was taken down during restoration of the Capitol in 1985, restored and eventually put on display at the Bob Bullock Texas State History Museum. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125154/
Governor's Mansion
Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion in 1882 when it was first occupied. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124115/
[Letter from O. Henry to Belle Palm]
Letter detailing programme for a musical event to be held on October 1, 1886, in which Belle Palm is on the program and O. Henry is the Musical Director. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth139270/
Manor, Texas
Street scene of Manor, Texas with horse-drawn carts. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125175/
Manor, Texas
Street scene of Manor, Texas with horse-drawn carts. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125174/
Miss Flora McFlimsy
Poetry published by Mrs. E.C. Kent, inspired by her memories of the series on "Miss Flora McFlimsy" published in Harper's Monthly. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth34957/
Morrison & Fourmy's General Directory of the City of Austin, 1885-86
General directory for Austin, Texas includes address listings for businesses and individuals as well as advertisements from local businesses. According to the title page, the directory contains "the present state, county and city governments; a complete list of all county officials, post offices, telegraph, express, and money order offices in Texas; also, an index of societies, associations, corporations, churches, educational institutes, the full name and address of all residents, their occupations or pursuits, and a Complete Classified Business Directory. Also, a Valuable Map of the City." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth46837/
Morrison & Fourmy's General Directory of the City of Austin for 1881-1882
"Containing the present state, county and city governments, and a complete list of all county officials, post offices and money order offices in Texas; also, an index of societies, associations, churches, corporations, educational institutes, the full name and address of all residents, their occupations or pursuits and a complete classified business directory." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth39151/
Morrison & Fourmy's General Directory of the City of Austin for 1889-1890
"Containing the present state, county, and city governments, and a complete list of all county officials, post offices and money order offices in Texas; also, an index of societies, associations, churches, corporations, educational institutes, the full name and address of all residents, their occupations or pursuits, and a complete classified business directory." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth39150/
Report of Construction of the Temporary State Capitol, at Austin, Texas.
This report is a compilation of the legislation and correspondence related to the building of the temporary state capitol in 1882. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth38104/
Scottish Granite Cutters
Group photo of men. Back of photograph reads, "Scottish granite cutters imported to cut granite at Granite Mountain." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125132/
Souvenir of Austin, Texas
A series of views by photographer S.B. Hill. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth39136/
[St. David's Episcopal Church]
Photograph of St. David's Episcopal Church taken from the front of the building looking northeast at the intersection of San Jacinto and East 7th. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123988/
[St. David's Episcopal Church exterior]
Photograph of an oblique view of the south front and west side of Saint David's Episcopal Church located at 301 East 8th Street. The gothic revival stone building has punched gothic windows, edged with stone quoins on the south facade, engaged pilasters and dormer vents. The symetrical south front has a central tower and castleated parapets. Two entrances are visible, both on the west facade: one on the south end and one on the north. There are four children standing in front of the west facade facing the camera, and what appears to be gas lamp standard at the southwest corner. The building was originally constructed in 1854. In 1870 the south addition was constructed, and the south tower was completed in 1885. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124818/
Texas land titles : an essay (preliminary to the Texas review)
An essay about Texas land titles and how to correct errors. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth41248/
[Texas State Capitol]
Photograph of the Texas State Capitol building taken from the south. The words "Souvenir May 1888" appear in the bottom center of the photograph. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124095/
[Texas State Capitol]
Photograph of the Texas State Capitol building. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124086/
[View of Austin, TX]
Photograph of a view of Austin, TX taken from 1802 Colorado Street. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123890/