You limited your search to:

  Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
 Decade: 1890-1899
[40th and Avenue G in Hyde Park ]
Photograph of the site of 40th and Avenue G in Hyde Park, taken before Avenue G was built. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123965/
[Austin White Lime Company]
Photograph of the exterior of Austin White Lime Company. There is a man walking in front of the building and there are lime kilns in the background. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124049/
Austin's gala season : second annual international rowing regatta to be contested May 15th, 16th, 17th & 18th, at Austin, Texas.
Flyer for the second annual rowing regatta. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth39154/
Brick laying crew, West Sixth Street, looking West
Photograph of the railroad crew laying bricks around rail lines on West 6th street looking west. Trolly and telegraph wires cross heavily overhead. A large sign on a building behind the crew reads "Phoenix Saloon / Ice Cold Lager Beer / Wines Liquor." A penciled caption in the lower left reads "Some Texas / sunshine." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125058/
[Bridge over Barton Creek]
Photograph of a bridge over Barton Creek. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123870/
Camp on Sanitarium grounds, Hyde Park
Men in military uniform lined up in front of tents. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125238/
[Capitol from Old Main Building (University of Texas)]
View from the top of the Old Main Building (University of Texas) looking south at the Capitol. An unpaved University Avenue is in view. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125127/
Constitution and by-laws of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas
Constitution and by-laws of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth34963/
East track concreted
Photograph of the concrete team working on the east railroad track on Congress Avenue, looking toward the Capitol. The crews are working hard in the background while horses and carts line up to visit the clothing and shoe shops that line the road. Signs are visible for Carl Mayer Jeweler, Wright & Robinson, Mens Outfitters, Emil Risse art photographer, a commercial college and a laundry. A trolley car is visible in the distance. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125060/
[Exterior of Decker Methodist Church]
Photograph of the front exterior of Decker Methodist Church circa 1892. The church was built in 1879 and was moved in 1901. There is a large group standing in front of the church. Among those present are Reverend August Wallin, S.A. Lundell (grandfather of Mrs. Simon Swahn who was Hilma Johnson) and his brother Gustav Lundell, L.P. Swahn (father of Simon Swahn)and his brother C.J. Swahn, and F.G. Swenson. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123998/
[Four University of Texas at Austin football players in uniform with 1898 ball]
Photograph of four University of Texas football players, three standing and one kneeling on one knee and holding an 1898 football. The photograph is mounted on a cabinet card. The UT student players are wearing uniforms consisting of dark turtleneck sweaters with a large "T" centered on the chest, quilted padded pants, shin guards and leather lace-up ankle boots. The reverse of the photograph notes that the photograph is from the James H. Hart Estate. Hart is standing at the far left in the photograph. James Hart was an end on the 1897 football team, a tackle on the 1898 team and captain on the 1899 team. He led UT to 23-5 mark during his four seasons, including 6-0 record in 1900. Hart also served as secretary of the athletic association, and editor in chief of the 1899 Cactus. He returned to UT football as coach in 1902, leading the Longhorns to a 6-3-1 record, and served 26 years as alumni representative to UT Athletics Council. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124229/
Fulton's Ice Cream Parlor
Two men and a little girl at the bar. A rooster is standing on the stool next to the girl. Fulton's was located at 1608 Lavaca St. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125186/
[Governor's Mansion]
Photograph of the Texas Governor's mansion taken from the northeast. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124023/
The Governor's Mansion
Photograph of the Texas Governor's mansion taken from the front lawn. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124120/
[Grand Stand at Camp Mabry in Austin, Texas]
Photograph of the Grand Stand at Camp Mabry in Austin in 1897, crowded with people. In the foreground a man in a suit and hat, carrying an umbrella, and a woman wearing a long white dress and hat, stroll toward the Grand Stand. Other people, some wearing military uniforms, are milling about. The wooden structure had raked seating under a long hipped roof, and one large central second story tower with smaller second story towers at each end. The structure, which served as a reviewing stand for troops, was burned by arson in 1902, and the original specifications exist at the Alexandar Architectural Archives at the University of Texas at Austin. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124042/
The great dam and water and light system at Austin, Texas
Update from the mayor of Austin about current constructions projects on the water system, dam and electrical utilities. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth34959/
[Impact at uknown game at Clark Field]
Photograph of low angle shot of an impact at an uknown game at Clark Field. The weather is sunny and cloudless. Even at this close range, it is difficult to determine which players belong to which team. At this time players did not wear helmets or protective padding. Their uniforms consisted of opposing colors and did not contain team names, logos, player names, or numbers. The University of Texas began its football program in 1893 managed by Albert Lefevra, playing two games in the fall and two in the spring. The following year, the team hired its first official head coach, R.D. Wentworth. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124227/
The Industrial Advantages of Austin, Texas, or Austin Up To Date
This book gives a brief historical overview of Austin, Texas and discusses the impact of the industries on the city, noting the major business enterprises of the time period. Index follows page 91. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth38097/
[Interior of St. David's Episcopal Church]
Photograph of the sanctuary of St. David's Episcopal Church. It is decorated with lights and garland for Christmas. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123995/
[Kickoff of unkown game at Clark Field]
Photograph of kickoff of an unknown football game at Clark Field. The weather is sunny and cloudless, and a crowd watches while standing across the field. The University of Texas began its football program in 1893 managed by Albert Lefevra, playing two games in the fall and two in the spring. The following year, the team hired its first official head coach, R.D. Wentworth. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124223/
[Land Office Building]
Photograph of the exterior of the Texas General Land Office building (now the Capitol Visitor's Center). texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124045/
Morrison & Fourmy's General Directory of the City of Austin, 1893-94
General directory for Austin, Texas includes address listings for businesses and individuals as well as advertisements from local businesses. According to the title page, the directory contains "the present state, county and city governments, and a complete list of all county officials, post offices and money order offices in Texas; also an index of societies, associations, churches, corporations, educational institutes, the full name and address of all residents, their occupations or pursuits, and a Complete Classified Business Directory, also A Valuable Steet and Avenue Guide." The Table of Contents starts on page 6; the Index to Advertisements is on page 8. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth61099/
Morrison & Fourmy's General Directory of the City of Austin for 1897-1898
"Containing the present state, county and city governments, and a complete list of all postoffices and money order offices in Texas; also an index of societies, associations, churches, corporations, educational institutes; full name and address of all residents, their occupations or pursuits, and a complete classified business directory. Also a valuable street and avenue guide. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth39149/
"Old Dismal" Substitute Hook and Ladder Wagon
Photograph of the Substitute Hook and Ladder Wagon and firemen outside of Texas State Capitol building taken from 11th Street and Colorado Street looking east. The Hook and Ladder Wagon is drawn by two horses. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124462/
Our religion : a discourse to the First Unitarian Society, Austin, Texas
Sermon to the First Unitarian Society in Austin from Edwin M. Wheelock, dated Oct. 8, 1899. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth34956/
[Pavillion at Hyde Park]
A crowd watching four men in the lake behind the pavillion. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125263/
[People in Boat on Colorado River]
Photograph of three women and two nicely dressed men in a boat at Mormon Falls on the Colorado River with Mt. Bonnell in the background. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124021/
Prospectus of the Colorado Lake Chautauqua Association at Austin, Texas, For the Season of 1893
This prospectus outlines the ideals and intentions of the Colorado Lake Chautauqua Association to educate the people of the city and provide better public services. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth38123/
Rail crew on East Sixth Street looking West
Photograph of African-American workers laying down rail line on one side of East 6th Street. Pedestrians look on from beneath the shop awnings. Shop signs for a candy store, millinery and a druggist are visible. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125063/
[Railroad crew digging]
Photograph of a crew of African-Americans digging a ditch where the second railroad line will lie. They use shovels and pickaxes in front of a row of shops including C.B. Moreland Wall Paper store and the Postal Telegraph service. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125061/
[Railroad crew working on second track]
Photograph of an African-American railroad crew working on a second rail road line in front of a row of hardware and home goods shops. The trenches have been dug and the brick stripped out from the roads where the rail lines will lie. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125065/
[Rogers Locomotive Works Locomotive]
Photograph of a steam locomotive built by Rogers Locomotive works about 1875. One of the operators stands on the pilot attached to the engine by the front center coupler. Steam locomotives operated until the mid 20th century, when electric and diesel models took over. Rogers Locomotive and Machine Works, based in Paterson, New Jersey, was a popular 19th century manufacturer of railroad steam locomotives. This model is a 2-4-2 indicating its wheel-arrangement. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124257/
[Santa Monica Springs of the Colorado River]
Photograph of people sitting around and wading in Santa Monica Springs of the Colorado River in 1890. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124007/
Sewanee vs. [University of] Texas, 1899
Photograph of Texas vs. Sewanee. Bleachers seat from 150 to 300. Clark Field. Spectators (almost entirely men) crowd the bleachers and the sidelines on both sides of the field. The University of Texas began its football program in 1893 managed by Albert Lefevra, playing two games in the fall and two in the spring. The following year, the team hired its first official head coach, R.D. Wentworth. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124503/
[Smelting crew joining rail ties]
Photograph of the smelting crew pouring white hot liquid metal over rails as they install a railroad line in the street. Two men grip the bucket handles and tilt them and the bucket so that a third man can push the molten metal out, joining the rails together. The heads and faces of the men are not visible. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125064/
[Snow on Capitol Grounds]
Looking south from the Capitol. The Temporary Capitol is in view on the right with the Travis County Courthouse on the left. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125195/
Special work, Sixth Street and Congress Avenue looking North
Photograph of a crew of African-American workers hard at work on the railroad intersections at 6th Street and Congress Avenue while foremen and others look on. Shops along the west side of the street are visible, including a dentist, shoe store, book store, and clothing store. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125062/
Sprinkle Post Office
Photograph of men and boys posing outside of the Sprinkle Post Office in 1893. There are people standing on the porch of the Post Office, sitting in carriages, and on horseback. There are two yoked steer in the center of the photograph. The photograph is from the essay, "History of Sprinkle, Texas" by Lulu Pearl. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124005/
[St. Mary's Academy]
Photograph of St. Mary's Academy, a private school for girls. It was established in 1874 by the Holy Cross Sisters who assumed operations of a local parish school from the Sisters of Divine Providence. At first, Mother Angela Guillespie and Sister M. Austin did all of the teaching and cooking, but expansion was necessary as enrollment increased in 1875. This building was built in 1885 in the face of increased enrollment. By 1947, the sisters moved the school to a bigger location, and this building was sold and demolished on July 30, 1954. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124069/
[Tackle at unknown game at Clark Field]
Photograph of Tackle at an uknown game at Clark Field. Coaches, referees, and players look on from the field and sidelines. A large crowd of spectators stands along the opposite side of the field. The University of Texas began its football program in 1893 managed by Albert Lefevra, playing two games in the fall and two in the spring. The following year, the team hired its first official head coach, R.D. Wentworth. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124224/
Temporary Capitol Burning
View of the Temporary Capitol building burning looking west. People witnessing the event in the intersection of 11th and Congress Avenue texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125137/
Texas Industrial Review, Volume 01, Number 03, October, 1895
The Texas Industrial Review is described as "A monthly publication" that is "Devoted to the General Business Interests of the Southwest" (57). This issue has articles focusing on Austin, the International Regatta, and the cotton mill. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth39133/
[Texas Rangers - Company "I" Frontier Battalion]
Group of men with guns sitting in front of an encampment. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125351/
Texas School for the Blind
Group of men in suits and hats lined up in front of campus buildings. For more information: http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kct25 texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125192/
Texas State Capitol
Texas State Capitol grounds looking north from 11th St. Roads are unpaved and there is a group of girls under trees and a woman with a horse in the foreground. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125196/
[Three University of Texas at Austin football players]
Photograph of three University of Texas football plays standing tall. Uniforms consist of striped swaters with "UT" written on the breast; quilted pants, striped socks, and laced leather ankle boots. The University of Texas began its football program in 1893 managed by Albert Lefevra, playing two games in the fall and two in the spring. The following year, the team hired its first official head coach, R.D. Wentworth. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124230/
Tracks concreted, concrete crew in distance, Congress Avenue looking South
Photograph of the newly concreted railroad tracks on Congress Avenue looking south. The concrete crew is working on the tracks in the distance. Horses and carts are visible near in front of the shops, including Condit Davis & Fink and a bakery in the foreground. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125059/
University of Texas Football Team
Portrait of the University of Texas football team in uniform and their coach. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125124/
[Unknown game at Clark Field]
Photograph of an unknown game at Clark Field shows players piling on each other right before a tackle while officials look on. A large crowd of spectators stands along the opposite side of the field. At this time players did not wear helmets or protective padding. Their uniforms consisted of opposing colors and did not contain team names, logos, player names, or numbers. The University of Texas began its football program in 1893 managed by Albert Lefevra, playing two games in the fall and two in the spring. The following year, the team hired its first official head coach, R.D. Wentworth. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124226/
[Unkown game at Clark Field]
Photograph of a tackle at an unknown game at Clark Field. Players at this time did not wear helmets of protective padding. They wear no numbers or jerseys. The photographer's shadow is visible in the bottom of the image. The University of Texas began its football program in 1893 managed by Albert Lefevra, playing two games in the fall and two in the spring. The following year, the team hired its first official head coach, R.D. Wentworth. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124225/
FIRST PREV 1 2 NEXT LAST