You limited your search to:

  Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
 Decade: 1920-1929
[39th Annual Convention of Texas Funeral Directors Association]
Panoramicphoto of a group of people lined up on E. 7th Street in front of the Stephen F. Austin Hotel. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125372/
Advertisement for complete O. Henry collection
Advertisment offering 274 O. Henry stories in one volume. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth139298/
[Advertisement letter for complete O. Henry collection]
Advertising letter offering 274 O. Henry stories in one volume. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth139297/
Advertising postal card for complete O. Henry collection
Advertisement offering 274 O. Henry stories in one volume. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth139299/
[Aerial view of Capitol grounds and governor's mansion]
Photograph of an aerial view of the grounds near the state Capitol and governor's mansion. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125269/
Austin City Hall
Looking northeast at the Austin City Hall building at the northeast corner of Colorado and 8th St. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125187/
Austin Dam Flood Scene
Water raging through the inoperable Austin Dam. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125341/
Austin High School 9A class of 1920
Photograph of the Austin High School 9A class of 1920 seated outside one of the campus buildings. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124199/
Austin High School 9B Class of 1920
Photograph of the Austin High School 9B class of 1920. The group is posed outdoors with trees visible behind them. There are approximately 90 students. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124198/
Austin High School Band
Portrait of the Austin High School Band standing at the steps of the Capitol. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125255/
Austin High School Hayne Society, 1920
Photograph of the Hayne Society at Austin High School in the fall/winter of 1920. The club consists of 11 young, male students seated and standing in two rows in front of a wall of shrubbery. Leaves are on the ground. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124200/
Austin street and avenue guide and Travis County rural route directory with logs of the road
"The Street and Avenue Guide consists of two sections. The first section comprises the numbered streets in numerical order. The second section comprises the streets by name in alphabetical order." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth39152/
Barton Springs bathhouses
View of the bathhouses and cars from the parking lot north of the pool. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125205/
Barton Springs Pool
People congregating near the diving board. Others on the grassy hill. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125201/
Barton Springs Pool
View of the pool from the north bank looking towards the diving board. A house can be seen in the background. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125208/
Barton Springs Pool
View of the pool from the north bank looking towards the diving board. A house can be seen in the background. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125204/
Barton Springs Pool
View of the pool from the north bank just east of the pool's boundary. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125209/
Barton Springs Pool
View of the pool from the south bank. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125212/
Barton Springs Pool
Looking northwest out over the pool with diving board in view. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125211/
Barton Springs Pool
View of the pool from the north bank looking west toward the diving board. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125214/
[Boys' woodworking class at John T. Allan Junior High School]
Photograph of a boys' woodworking class at the Old Red Campus building of the John T. Allan Junior High School, formerly Stephen F. Austin High School. The room is crowded with work stations, where the boys are engaged in making various projects such as wooden stools and picture frames. The rounded masonry wall has arched windows, covered by translucent roller shades for indirect light. There are frames mounted between the windows displaying various tools and examples of metal work. The exposed wood truss ceiling has several belts and pulleys mounted on it. Examples of finished wooden stools stand on a wooden file case to the left in the photograph. Pictured are: Rufus Watterson, Malcolm Williams, Willie Earnest, Durwell Johnson, Sid Colquitt, Vincent Murray, Windom Burke, Louis Blenderman, Ernest Von Rosenberg, Harry Hafer, Henry Murray, Homer Wedig, ____ Yates, Francis Patton, Henry Paggi, ____ Brady. The teacher is Mr. N. S. Hunsdon. The building was completed in 1900 from the plans of Burt McDonald and James Reily. It was used as Austin High School until 1925, when it became the John T. Allan Junior High School. Classes were held here until 1956, when the school was destroyed by fire. A State of Texas Subject Marker was placed on the site in 1981 by the Texas Historical Commission. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124195/
[Brackenridge Elementary School]
Photograph of Brackenridge Elementary School, located at 319 West Elizabeth Street, a segregated school for Negro children. The building was a one story wooden structure with board and batten exterior walls, 6/6 wood windows, and a plain, square-columned porch entrance. The wooden doors are topped by transom windows. This school for colored children was first listed in the 1909-1910 Austin City Directory, and a school by that name was operating as late as 1965. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124573/
The Caballero's Way
Short story about a young desperado from the Texas-Mexico border. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth139461/
Capitol Directory, Austin, Texas
"Names, street addresses, telephone numbers and department of employment of persons permanently located in the state capitol and the state land office building on February 1, 1921." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth38125/
The Crucible
A poem entitled "The Crucible" by O. Henry turned into a song by Alexander McFayden. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth139284/
[Dedication of Memorial Stadium]
Aerial view of stadium with the UT band on the field forming a "T" texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125364/
Deep Eddy, Austin Tex
Photograph of spectators and swimmers at Deep Eddy Bathing Beach. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123863/
Deep Eddy Bathing Beach
Photograph of panoramic view of Deep Eddy Bathing Beach. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123862/
[Governor's Mansion from the grounds]
Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion looking southeast from northwest side of the mansion on the grounds. Trees and a stone birdbath are visible in front of and partially obscure the mansion from view. A sprinkler is on and watering the lawn on the right side of the mansion. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1929 was Governor Dan Moody. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124124/
Governor's Mansion Under Snow
Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion afer a recent snowfall in February, 1923. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124111/
Governor's Mansion [under snow]
Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion front and north elevations. It has a screen porch with steps. The front lawn is covered in snow. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and continuously occupied since 1856. The mansion here was occupied by first female Texas governor Miriam A. Ferguson in 1925. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a National historic landmark in 1970. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124113/
Guadalupe Street
Photograph of Guadalupe Street taken from the west approximately where the present-day "The Drag" is located. A street car is in motion along the street. Texas Bookstore, University Co-Op and Roach Brothers pharmacy are on the west side of Guadalupe Street. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123900/
O. Henryana
This work was published posthumously. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth139325/
History of the First Baptist Church, Austin, Texas
A history of the First Baptist Church of Austin, Texas. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth33019/
In the Bosom of the Comanches: A Thrilling Tale of Savage Indian Life, Massacre and Captivity Truthfully Told by a Surviving Captive
Theodore 'Dot' Babb describes his experiences when he and several others were taken captive in the 1865 by Comanches near present-day Decatur, Texas and what happened after he was released. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth38118/
[Letter from Christopher Morley to John Stahl]
Letter signed by Chirstopher Morley declining an invitation by Mr. Stahl of the Sears Roebuck Agricultural Foundation texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth139290/
Letters to Lithopolis
This work is a collection of letters from O. Henry to Mabel Wagnalls. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth139445/
[May Day play at Treaty Oak]
Photograph of children playing on and around the Treaty Oak branches on May Day ca. 1925. Three girls sit and stand on the oak's low branches. A fourth girl looks on with a young boy and their caretaker. Everyone is dressed in white. The lawn is littered with children's chairs and various outdoor equipment. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124717/
[Minnie Fisher Cunningham for US Senate]
Minnie Fisher Cunningham (far right) and two others in front of car holding sign that reads: "Mrs. Minnie Fisher Cunningham for United States Senator." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124403/
[Old Red Campus building, John T. Allan Campus of Stephen F. Austin High School]
Photograph of Old Red Campus building, at the John T. Allan Campus of Stephen F. Austin High School, showing an oblique view of the front and side of the classical four-story building. The exterior walls of the first floor are constructed of stone and the upper three floors are dark brick. The front is symetrically arranged in three parts, with the central part inset from the outer parts. Porches stretch across the central part of the first and second floors, and a gable is centered above on the roof. There are punched windows on the upper floors of the front facade, while windows are ganged on the side facade. A portion of the facade, near the back of the building, has a curved wall. There is a three-story brick addition to the side of the building, and there are chute style fire escapes on both the main building and the addition. A parking lot lies to the front of the building, with several circa 1920s cars. A boy wearing knickers stands in the parking lot. The building was completed in 1900 from the plans of Burt McDonald and James Reily, and featured a domed rotunda. It was used as Austin High School until 1925, when it became the John T. Allan Junior High School. Classes were held here until 1956, when the school was destroyed by fire. A State of Texas Subject Marker was placed on the site in 1981 by the Texas Historical Commission. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125089/
Policeman directing traffic
Officer O. G. Hill directing traffic at 6th and Congress while holding a large umbrella. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125164/
Polk's Morrison & Fourmy Austin City Directory, 1922
"Containing a miscellaneous directory of state, county and city governments, a postoffice [sic] directory, educational institutions, churches, banks, incorporated companies, secret and benevolent societies, etc., etc., a street guide and householders directory, an alphabetically arranged list of business houses and private citizens giving full name, occupation or pursuit and address, also a complete classified business directory 'The Buyers' Guide'." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth39153/
[Rooftop Terrace of the Stephen F. Austin Hotel]
Group photo of people sitting at long tables. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125272/
[Seaholm Power Plant]
Power plant buildings showing the smokestacks, employee cars and railroad tracks on 3rd Street. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125232/
[Seaholm Power Plant]
Power plant building looking south from 3rd Street, with smokestack in view. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125231/
Seaholm Power Plant
Looking west at the power plant buildings from the railroad bridge over 3rd St. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125234/
Seaholm Power Plant
Looking west at the power plant buildings from the railroad bridge over 3rd St. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125233/
[Seaholm Power Plant]
Photograph of Seaholm Power Plant. A dirt road and power lines are in the foreground and there are buildings in the background with two smoke stacks. One of the smoke stacks reads "Austin The Friendly City". texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123929/
[Seaholm Power Plant boiler room construction]
Photograph of ongoing construction of the Seaholm Power Plant boiler room building. Other established plant buildings and the water tower can be seen behind the boiler building on the right. Various debris including wood, metal pipes, and a work shed surround the new building. The Seaholm Power Plant, located at 800 West 1st Street (later renamed Cesar Chavez Street), began construction in the 1930s and was eventually demolished in the 1960s. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124839/
[Seaholm Power Plant rear view]
Photograph of the rear view of the Seaholm Power Plant. The river can be seen on the right with the capitol building in the background. The Seaholm Power Plant was constructed in the 1930s and was eventually demolished in the 1960s. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124837/
FIRST PREV 1 2 NEXT LAST