You limited your search to:

  Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
 Collection: Austin History Center General Collection Photographs
[Paving on 38th Street]

[Paving on 38th Street]

Date: 1975
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of a worker raking out hot asphaltic concrete just laid by the machine visible on the right on 38th Street.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Old Anderson High School]

[Old Anderson High School]

Date: 1908/1912
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the old Anderson High School for Negro students, a two story wood frame building located in the 900 block of Olive Street at the northeast corner of Olive and Curve Streets. Anderson was a segregated school created for colored students. The building appears to be an "L" configuration, with a small porch at the inside corner of the "L", 6/6 wood windows, a wood shingle roof and a brick chimney. Used from 1908 to 1912, the building appears to have been originally constructed as a residential structure. The school was named in honor of Professor E. H. Anderson, the second principal of Prairie View State College, and one of the pioneer educators of the state.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Old Austin Power Plant boiler room building]

[Old Austin Power Plant boiler room building]

Date: February 25, 1942
Creator: Boone Photo Company
Description: Photograph of a tilted view of the east facade of a boiler room at the old Austin Power Plant, near the site of the existing Seaholm Power Plant at 800 West Cezar Chavez Street. The concrete building has metal commercial windows and a vent stack is visible to the left of the building. A railroad bridge is visible in the background. Constructed during the 1930s, this building was demolished in the 1960s. A rubber stamp on the verso of the print reads: "BOONE's, FEB 25 1942, Austin, Texas". Boone Photo Company offered both photo finishing and commercial photography services.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Dining room interior of the Villa Capri Motor Hotel]

[Dining room interior of the Villa Capri Motor Hotel]

Date: 1958
Creator: Mears, Dewey G.
Description: Photograph of Villa Capri Motel restaurant dining room, located at 2300 North Interregional Highway (East Avenue, now I-35), with a burnished steel sunken charcoal broiling pit, for cooking steaks, in the center. There are overhead chandeliers made of bundles of radiating brass rods that simulate sunbursts, or perhaps exploding atoms. On the far wall is a modern wall design made with colored panels. The vaulted ceiling has exposed beams. Four-top dining tables with white table cloths are set with plates and utensils. The metal welding work at the Villa Capri Motor Hotel Restaurant was done by Milton Messer, who operated the Modern Supply Company machinists and welders from 1942 to 1982.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[View of Austin, TX]

[View of Austin, TX]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of a view of Austin, TX, southwest from the Capitol.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Anderson High School students]

[Anderson High School students]

Date: [1889, 1920]
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of Anderson High School students lined up outside the schoolhouse which is either at Olive and Curve Streets or at Pennsylvania Street (currently Kealing Middle school). This class is composed of mostly female African American students.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
Airplane view of vicinity of Waller Creek and East First Street

Airplane view of vicinity of Waller Creek and East First Street

Date: 19uu
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of Airplane view of vicinity of Waller Creek and East 1st Street. East 1st Street is visible diagonally down the center of the image from top to bottom, while Waller Creek cuts through the image from left to right.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Officers and Directors of Emancipation Park Association, 1909]

[Officers and Directors of Emancipation Park Association, 1909]

Date: 1909
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of President Thos. J White and a major portion of annual Officers and Directors of the Organization, 1909. Emancipation Park was an effort to purchase private property where African-Americans could celebrate Juneteenth or Emancipation Day without resistance from white citizens.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Brackenridge Elementary School]

[Brackenridge Elementary School]

Date: 1920~
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of Brackenridge Elementary School, located at 319 West Elizabeth Street, a segregated school for Negro children. The building was a one story wooden structure with board and batten exterior walls, 6/6 wood windows, and a plain, square-columned porch entrance. The wooden doors are topped by transom windows. This school for colored children was first listed in the 1909-1910 Austin City Directory, and a school by that name was operating as late as 1965.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Governor's Mansion with fence]

[Governor's Mansion with fence]

Date: 1971
Creator: Horberger, Carl
Description: Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion front elevation, landscaping, and ironwork fence with whitewashed brick wall reading "Governor's Mansion" with an ironwork star in the wall. The shutters are open to the bare tree branches. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1971 was Governor Preston Smith. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library