You limited your search to:

  Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
 Collection: Austin History Center General Collection Photographs
[Army enlisted men and women in civilian dress pose with leis at the Austin USO Club]

[Army enlisted men and women in civilian dress pose with leis at the Austin USO Club]

Date: 1942/1945
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of a group of soldiers standing on a stage with women at the U.S.O. Club. All are wearing leis, and some of the soldiers wear white t-shirts with their uniform pants. Most of the women are wearing colorful cotton dresses or skirts. One couple is holding a U.S.O. flag. Two soldiers and one woman are standing on a ladder leading up to the stage. The people look like they are participants in a Hawaiian-themed party or show.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Registration desk of the Stephen F. Austin Hotel]

[Registration desk of the Stephen F. Austin Hotel]

Date: 1930~
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the registration desk or front desk at the Stephen F. Austin Hotel, located at 701 Congress Avenue in Austin. The desk sits on a dark marble base, topped by wooden panels and a dark counter. Two cubicles, formed by frosted glass and wooden posts, are at each end of the desk. Visible between them is a bank of key boxes or letter boxes. A ceiling fan and several commercial light fixtures hang from the recessed ceiling. There appears to be a hallway leading away from the left side of the reception desk.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Anna Duval Bank's Spring Dance Recital]

[Anna Duval Bank's Spring Dance Recital]

Date: 1946
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of Anna Duval Bank's Spring Dance Recital with a row of five young girls, including Sharon Ward (second from the front) and Elizabeth Ann Curry (third from the front), wearing drummer costumes and sitting on wooden chairs. They are holding drums decorated with cartoon characters on their laps. Champ Howell, a young boy wearing a similar costume, sits at the end of the row.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Treaty Oak]

[Treaty Oak]

Date: May 1, 1941
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab, Austin
Description: Photograph of Treaty Oak on Baylor Street between Fifth and Sixth Streets in Austin shows the approximately 450-year-old tree's twisting branches and trunk. A low stone wall surrounds the tree, and sun dapples the grass beneath the branches.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Negro War Recreation Council Headquarters building]

[Negro War Recreation Council Headquarters building]

Date: January 6, 1944
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the Negro War Recreation Council Headquarters building, a concrete frame building located at 702-14 East Avenue (now I-35) in the former city market, repurposed as a bus depot and recreation building for African American soldiers. The windows are 6/6 configuration, many of which are decoratively painted with stars, patriotic shields and the letter "V". The 5-panel double wooden entrance doors, at the center of the photograph, each have painted or decal flags on the second horizontal panel from the top. The sign above the doors reads: "HEADQUARTERS, SUB-BUS STATION, NEGRO WAR RECREATION COUNCIL". To the left of the doors sits a 1930s-era sedan, and to the left of that is a ground-mounted sign that reads: "SUB-BUS STATION for COLORED SOLDIERS". There is a large flag pole, without a flag, visible to the rear of photograph. A wooden bench sits in front of the right building bay. There are several suitcases on the bench, and an overcoat appears to be draped over some of them. The market building was originally constructed as a 1935 Public Works Administration (PWA) project, which opened in June 1935.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Interior view of the Negro War Recreation Council Building with 3 women and 3 Soldiers around a table]

[Interior view of the Negro War Recreation Council Building with 3 women and 3 Soldiers around a table]

Date: January 6, 1944
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the interior of the Negro War Recreation Council Building, located at 702-14 East Avenue (now I-35) in the former city market building, showing a group of African Americans, including 3 women and 3 soldiers in uniform. Four of the women and men are seated in couples at a table, while the remaining soldier is sitting on the table as the woman stands in front of it. All of the women are nicely dressed; one has a fur collar and hat, and one has flowers in her hair. The building, which also served as a bus depot, has several wooden benches, roughly constructed of lumber. Several of the windows to the rear of the photograph are decoratively painted with stars, patriotic shields and the letter "V". Three single glass globe pendant light fixtures are visible hanging from the open vaulted ceiling. The market building was originally constructed as a 1935 Public Works Administration (PWA) project, which opened in June 1935.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Group of African American women in the Negro War Recreation Council Building]

[Group of African American women in the Negro War Recreation Council Building]

Date: January 6, 1944
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of a group of African American women seated in a reading room at the Negro War Recreation Council Building and bus depot, located in the former city market building at 702-14 East Avenue (now I-35). The group is seated in a "U" shape, facing a woman seated at a the head table. Books, a four-drawer card file, magazines, and a radio line the back wall. On the wall there is a war bond poster which reads: "Don't let that shadow touch them, Buy WAR BONDS", where the "shadow" is in the shape of a swastika and three children cower in its wake. There is a wall-mounted electric fan to the right of the war bond poster, and a fur coat hangs on a coat hook on the left window wall. A hand-made poster on a window at the back reads: "ATTENTION, Have you written a Letter home to-day? Writing facilities may be obtained at the information desk. Books and Magazines are available in the office for SERVICE MEN."
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Don Stence and assistant]

[Don Stence and assistant]

Date: 19uu
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of Don Stence (seated) of the Austin Parks and Recreation Department and assistant looking over architectural park plans. The drafting desk is covered with drawings and plans.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Boys making model airplanes at the Pan American Recreation Center in Austin]

[Boys making model airplanes at the Pan American Recreation Center in Austin]

Date: November 19, 1946
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Laboratory, City of Austin
Description: Photograph of a group of six Latino youth making balsa-wood airplanes from a Comet brand "Air-Age Educational Kit" at the Pan American Recreation Center (Pan American Community Center), 300 Comal Street, in Austin. The boys are working at two picnic tables placed end-to-end. Several other people, including a girl, two boys, a man and a woman, stand behind the table either observing or assisting. There is a Mexican tourism poster featuring a woman, with her hair in braids, holding a basket of fruit on the wall behind one of the tables.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[St. David's Episcopal Church exterior]

[St. David's Episcopal Church exterior]

Date: 1885/1900
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of an oblique view of the south front and west side of Saint David's Episcopal Church located at 301 East 8th Street. The gothic revival stone building has punched gothic windows, edged with stone quoins on the south facade, engaged pilasters and dormer vents. The symetrical south front has a central tower and castleated parapets. Two entrances are visible, both on the west facade: one on the south end and one on the north. There are four children standing in front of the west facade facing the camera, and what appears to be gas lamp standard at the southwest corner. The building was originally constructed in 1854. In 1870 the south addition was constructed, and the south tower was completed in 1885.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
Beta Preview