You limited your search to:

  Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
 Decade: 1890-1899
 Language: English
Whistling Dick's Christmas Stocking

Whistling Dick's Christmas Stocking

Date: December 1899
Creator: Henry, O., 1862-1910
Description: Short story about a "professional tramp" in New Orleans.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
Fulton's Ice Cream Parlor

Fulton's Ice Cream Parlor

Date: March 20, 1897
Creator: unknown
Description: Two men and a little girl at the bar. A rooster is standing on the stool next to the girl. Fulton's was located at 1608 Lavaca St.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
Texas School for the Blind

Texas School for the Blind

Date: April 29, 1896
Creator: unknown
Description: Group of men in suits and hats lined up in front of campus buildings. For more information: http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kct25
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
Brick laying crew, West Sixth Street, looking West

Brick laying crew, West Sixth Street, looking West

Date: 1890..1899
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the railroad crew laying bricks around rail lines on West 6th street looking west. Trolly and telegraph wires cross heavily overhead. A large sign on a building behind the crew reads "Phoenix Saloon / Ice Cold Lager Beer / Wines Liquor." A penciled caption in the lower left reads "Some Texas / sunshine."
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
Tracks concreted, concrete crew in distance, Congress Avenue looking South

Tracks concreted, concrete crew in distance, Congress Avenue looking South

Date: 1890..1899
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the newly concreted railroad tracks on Congress Avenue looking south. The concrete crew is working on the tracks in the distance. Horses and carts are visible near in front of the shops, including Condit Davis & Fink and a bakery in the foreground.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
Sewanee vs. [University of] Texas, 1899

Sewanee vs. [University of] Texas, 1899

Date: November 9, 1899
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of Texas vs. Sewanee. Bleachers seat from 150 to 300. Clark Field. Spectators (almost entirely men) crowd the bleachers and the sidelines on both sides of the field. The University of Texas began its football program in 1893 managed by Albert Lefevra, playing two games in the fall and two in the spring. The following year, the team hired its first official head coach, R.D. Wentworth.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Governor's Mansion and grounds]

[Governor's Mansion and grounds]

Date: 1894
Creator: Wheelock, Charles B.
Description: Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion showing the east elevation from across the street from the roof of the temporary capitol. The columns and entablature are painted dark shades; the porch is extended; and the trees have matured. The picket fence surrounding the lot steps down for the variation in grade. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1894 was Governor James Stephen Hogg. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Rogers Locomotive Works Locomotive]

[Rogers Locomotive Works Locomotive]

Date: 1895~
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of a steam locomotive built by Rogers Locomotive works about 1875. One of the operators stands on the pilot attached to the engine by the front center coupler. Steam locomotives operated until the mid 20th century, when electric and diesel models took over. Rogers Locomotive and Machine Works, based in Paterson, New Jersey, was a popular 19th century manufacturer of railroad steam locomotives. This model is a 2-4-2 indicating its wheel-arrangement.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
Austin High School Mid A. Grade, 1896

Austin High School Mid A. Grade, 1896

Date: April 13, 1896
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of Austin High School Mid A. Grade class portrait on April 13, 1896. Austin High School opened in 1881. The class consists of 22 young women and five young men seated and standing in front of a school building at 11th Street and Rio Grande Street. There is a broken window behind the woman (Clara Whitteu) on the far left of the group, and a man stands nearly out of frame on the far left. From left to right (first row, seated): Gene Clark, Annie Spence, Mamie Heflybower, Lenora Patterson, Nellie Brown, Haysie Heflybower, Edna Slaughter, Molly Alison, George Decherd; (second row standing and seated): Clara Whitteu, Doree Durfee, LuEmma Raymond, Nan Turner, Kate Mayes, Willie Smith, Gracie Taylor, Laura Hirshfeld, Mary Perry; (last row, seated and standing): Ira Hamilton, Bessie Walsh, Zella Swancoat, Erin Crane, Lula Rose, Scott Key, Ansell Carouth, Will Orr, and Harry Bach.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[St. Mary's Academy]

[St. Mary's Academy]

Date: 1894
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of St. Mary's Academy, a private school for girls. It was established in 1874 by the Holy Cross Sisters who assumed operations of a local parish school from the Sisters of Divine Providence. At first, Mother Angela Guillespie and Sister M. Austin did all of the teaching and cooking, but expansion was necessary as enrollment increased in 1875. This building was built in 1885 in the face of increased enrollment. By 1947, the sisters moved the school to a bigger location, and this building was sold and demolished on July 30, 1954.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
FIRST PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT LAST