You limited your search to:

  Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[View of Austin, TX]
Photograph of a view of Austin, TX taken from 1802 Colorado Street. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123890/
[Family at Barton Springs]
Photograph of family portrait taken at Barton Springs. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123878/
[Travis County Jail Cell with bunks, toilet and sink]
Photograph of a large, multi-prisoner cell in the Travis County Jail, which has six bunks, a sink, toilet and wall-mounted light. Bars form the front wall of the cell, which has two sliding doors, one at each end of the cell. The bunks are made up with sheets, and have what appear to be blankets placed at the foot of the matresses. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125070/
The Industrial Advantages of Austin, Texas, or Austin Up To Date
This book gives a brief historical overview of Austin, Texas and discusses the impact of the industries on the city, noting the major business enterprises of the time period. Index follows page 91. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth38097/
[Governor's Mansion from grounds]
Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion front and north elevations showing the grounds and a partial walkway, obscured by grass, bushes, and a flagpole. The upper porch is screened. The carriage house is visible behind the house. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1941 was Governor Coke R. Stevenson. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124127/
[Front exterior of Governor's Mansion]
Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion east elevation and walkway leading up to the front door. The walkway is lined with shrubs, and there are evergreens at each side of the entry stairs. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1941 was Governor Coke R. Stevenson. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124128/
Souvenir of Austin, Texas, 1911
This book includes written information about the history, and schools in Austin, Texas as well as an overview of statistics for Texas and a description of the Austin Business League. Primarily, the book has photographs of different views and buildings around the city. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth61095/
Austin, "The Friendly City"
Photograph of the Texas State Capitol. The photograph appeared on the front of a card given out by the Austin Chamber of Commerce. The back of the card reads as follows, "This Card Certifies that Geo. A. Newgent representing A. J. Maloney Co is a member in good standing of the Austin Chamber of Commerce". The card is signed by the president and the manager of the Austin Chamber of Commerce and states that it will expire Dec. 31, 1949. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124091/
Child takes a wild ride at Zilker Playscape
Photograph of a child sliding down a tube slide at Zilker Park. His hands are in the air while his mother leans over to support his exit. She carries a camera in her right hand. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124279/
[DeLeon children slide at Zilker Park]
Photograph of Jesse DeLeon holding on to a play structure while brother and sister (Michael and Angie) wait behind him, getting ready to go down the slide at Zilker Park. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124304/
[Line of cars waiting to enter festival]
Photograph of a line of cars and people waiting for entry to an unidentified music festival. Bumper-to-bumper traffic sits long enough for people to sit on and hang out of vehicles. Many individuals choose to enter the festival on foot and are visible in lines on either side of the road. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124300/
[Man welding at Weigl Iron Works in Austin, Texas]
Photograph of a man wearing a welding mask, leather apron, jeans and work shirt, welding something on a bench in a work room. The wooden door to the room is open, and appears to let in light from the outside. There is a sign on the door that reads: "OPEN COME IN", and there are symbols branded into the door. Wires are strung across the rough wood plank floor, and many metal items are stacked on the floor, the workbench, and on shelves around the walls. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124360/
Mother and baby at Zilker Playscape
Photograph of a mother gently swinging her baby in a chair swing at Zilker Park playscape. Both baby and mother look at each other and smile. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124302/
[Arc welder at Weigl Iron Works]
Photograph of a member of the Weigl family using an arc welder on a project. The Weigl Iron Works was founded in 1922 by German immigrant and founder Fortunat Weigl. In 1935 Weigl moved his foundry from its Exposition Boulevard location to 100 Red River location where it remained for several decades. He was joined in business by his sons Lee and Herbert who continued to operate after Fortunat's death in 1973 until their retirement in 1977. In 1978, the location was reopened as Iron Works BBQ in honor of the history at that location. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124359/
[Hands chiseling at Weigl Iron Works]
Photograph of hands with hammer and chisel at the Weigl Iron Works. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124357/
[Hands working iron with chisel]
Photograph of a man's hands working on an iron project. The hands are cracked, callused, and worn from decades of working with iron. They could belong to Fortunat Weigl or to one of his sons Lee or Herbert. Weigl Iron Works was established on Exposition Boulevard in 1922 by German immigrant and founder Fortunat Weigl and moved shortly afterwards to its location at 100 Red River. Fortunat was joined in business by his sons who operated the business after Fortunat's death in 1973 until their retirement in 1977. In 1978, Iron Works BBQ opened at the 100 Red River location in honor of the building's history. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124361/
[Thumb and hand of a founder]
Photograph of the disjointed thumb and rough, callused hand of an ironworker at the Weigl Iron Works. Weigl Iron works was opened in 1922 by German founder and immigrant Fortunat Weigl at Exposition Boulevard, but moved shortly after to its home on 100 Red River. The flood of June 5, 1935 hit the Weigl Iron Works hard. Fortunat was joined in the business by his sons Lee and Herbert, who ran the business after Fortnuat's death in 1973 until their retirement in 1977. In 1978, Iron Works BBQ opened to honor the Weigl family and their industry. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124358/
Damned up Creek between East Avenue and Red River Street
Photograph of a damned up creek between East Avenue and Red River Street. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123934/
[Bathers at Deep Eddy]
Photograph of Deep Eddy swimming pool looking northwest towards the dressing rooms. People swimming, others sitting on the edge of the pool. View from the deep end of the pool. Deep Eddy began as a natural swimming hole in the Colorado River and was expanded into a man-made swimming pool in 1915 by A.J. Eilers, Sr. Deep Eddy pool is the oldest swimming pool in Texas and is operated and maintained by the City of Austin. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124671/
Charter, by-laws and prospectus of the Austin Trust Co. ... : chartered May 3, 1873
The charter and bylaws of the Austin Trust Company. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth34966/
Capitol Directory, Austin, Texas
"Names, street addresses, telephone numbers and department of employment of persons permanently located in the state capitol and the state land office building on February 1, 1921." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth38125/
In the Bosom of the Comanches: A Thrilling Tale of Savage Indian Life, Massacre and Captivity Truthfully Told by a Surviving Captive
Theodore 'Dot' Babb describes his experiences when he and several others were taken captive in the 1865 by Comanches near present-day Decatur, Texas and what happened after he was released. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth38118/
A Texas scrap-book: made up of the history, biography, and miscellany of Texas and its people
A book about Texas history, biography, and miscellany. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth39132/
Difficulties of a Mexican revenue officer in Texas
This book discusses the action by the Mexican government to send a revenue officer and small contingent of soldiers into Texas during 1835 to collect taxes from the citizens and the resistance they faced. Includes some letters and notes from the author about later excerpts from newspapers. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth38121/
[University of Texas Old Main Building at night]
Photograph of the University of Texas Old Main Building at night. The foyer and the clock face are lit from within. All other windows remain dark and uninhabited. The main front staircase is lit from a street lamp that is out of left frame. Ivy covers the lower half of the main building. The Old Main Building was constructed in three phases and completed in 1899. It remained the main administrative and library building for 35 years until its destruction in 1934. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124240/
Last Eagle passenger train through Austin
Photograph of the last Eagle passenger train to go through Austin. The train stops at the Austin International & Great Northern (I&GN) Railroad depot in Austin. There are no passengers waiting on the platform. I&GN Railroad operated in Texas. It was created when the International Railroad company and Houston-based Great Northern Railroad company merged on September 30, 1873. I&GN's Austin depot was completed on 3rd and Congress Avenues on December 28, 1876. In 1924, the I&GN was bought by Gulf Coast Lines (GCL), which was subsequently purchased by Missouri Pacific on Januray 1, 1925. I&GN operated as a subsidiary of Missouri Pacific until March 1, 1956, when all GCL subsidiaries were merged under Missouri Pacific, and I&GN ceased to operate as a corporate entity. The old Austin depot had been demolished in 1950. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124410/
History of Hill City lodge no. 456, A.F. & A.M.: from its constitution on June 19, 1876 to St. John's Day, June 24, 1919
A history of the Hill City Lodge in Austin from its constitution on June 19, 1876 to St. John's Day, June 24, 1919. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth39145/
[1900 Flood of Austin]
500 block of East 1st Street with street rail car in the water. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125258/
O. Henry's Wedding
Original copy of statement by Lawrence K. Smoot, as recorded by Ralph Bickler, a court reporter, and furnished to [Trueman] O‘Quinn, relating the events surrounding the marriage of William Sydney Porter and Athol Estes at the Smoot home one July evening in 1887, with Lawrence as an “unofficial” witness when he was about 12 years of age. The date of the wedding was actually July 1, 1887 as a notice of the marriage appeared the next day in the Austin Daily Statesman. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth139271/
[Austin City Plan, 1840]
Photograph of an illustration by Edward Hall of a city plan for the Texas Government buildings in Austin. Architectural renderings of buildings can be found on the top half of the illustration. Handwritten on the photograph is a list of buildings that are seen in the plan including: the President's House, Capitol Hill and Bullock's Tavern. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123887/
[Final Adjustments]
Photograph of SMSgt. Dwight Morehead of the Air National Guard's 155th Tactical Reconnaissance Group from Lincoln, Nebraska, making final adjustments to his aircraft prior to the RAM '88 competition. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth389217/
[Two men protesting Travis County Jail]
Photograph of two people carrying protest signs as they walk along the sidewalk in front of the Travis County Courthouse. The man on the left is carrying a sign which reads, "Jails Never solved ANYthing." The person on the right is carrying a sign which reads, "JAILS ARE INHUMAN." Both have shoulder-length, dark, wavy hair and are wearing wire-rimmed glasses. The man on the left has a beard and wears a striped, wide-collared shirt, as well as dark pants and shoes. The person on the right wears bell bottom blue jeans and is barefoot. A wood frame house is partially visible in the bakcground to the right of the courthouse, and a the top of a gas street lamp is visible behind the head of the person on the right. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125071/
Servicemen arriving in Austin
Servicemen departing buses and walking south from Bowen Trailways Motor Coaches at 708 Brazos. Moonlight tower visible at corner of 8th and Brazos. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125282/
O. Henry's Pen Name
Letter entitled, "O. Henry’s Pen Name," on the possible origin of his pseudonym. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth139313/
[Colorado River Flood]
Photograph of the Colorado River flood in June, 1935. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124018/
[Governor's Mansion with trees]
Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion from northeast looking at the front of the mansion partially obscured by trees. The upper porch is screened. There are leaves strewn on the lawn. The steps on the walkway are flanked by urns and the sidewalk is visible in the foreground. A flag pole is mostly obscured by a tree on the right, but the state flag can be seen reaching above the topmost branches. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124799/
Guadalupe Street
Photograph of Guadalupe Street taken from the west approximately where the present-day "The Drag" is located. A street car is in motion along the street. Texas Bookstore, University Co-Op and Roach Brothers pharmacy are on the west side of Guadalupe Street. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123900/
[Front exterior of Governor's Mansion with trees]
Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion front elevation and south elevation showing the grounds and walkway, the stairs of which are bisected by a sidewalk. The upper porch is screened and partially obscured by a tree on the front lawn. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1955 was Governor Alan Shivers. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124126/
[Governor's Mansion from the grounds]
Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion looking southeast from northwest side of the mansion on the grounds. Trees and a stone birdbath are visible in front of and partially obscure the mansion from view. A sprinkler is on and watering the lawn on the right side of the mansion. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1929 was Governor Dan Moody. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124124/
[Governor's Mansion with screened upper porch
Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion east elevation, showing the walkway with partial planting bed along it. The upper porch is screened, and the entry steps are concrete with iron railings. A stone birdbath is visible at the mansion's northeast corner. A bench is partially visible under an oak on the left. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1939 was Governor W. Lee O'Daniel. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124125/
[Seaholm Power Plant rear view]
Photograph of the rear view of the Seaholm Power Plant. The river can be seen on the right with the capitol building in the background. The Seaholm Power Plant was constructed in the 1930s and was eventually demolished in the 1960s. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124837/
[Aerial View of the Texas State Capitol Building]
Photograph of an aerial view of the Texas State Capitol building and surrounding area. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123905/
[Governor's Mansion]
Photograph of the Governor's Mansion taken from the front lawn. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124450/
[Municipal Golf Course maintenance]
Photograph of sprinklers watering the greens at the Municipal Golf Course in Austin as a tractor mows the rough around it. View of the course from behind the green. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124586/
[Texas State Capitol]
Photograph of the Texas State Capitol building taken from the southeast. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124092/
[Playground leaders]
Photograph of a group of playground leaders. Women are seated in the first row, and men are standing in the rear. Beverly Sheffield is identified in the back row, 2nd from right. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124819/
[Old Austin Power Plant boiler room building]
Photograph of a tilted view of the east facade of a boiler room at the old Austin Power Plant, near the site of the existing Seaholm Power Plant at 800 West Cezar Chavez Street. The concrete building has metal commercial windows and a vent stack is visible to the left of the building. A railroad bridge is visible in the background. Constructed during the 1930s, this building was demolished in the 1960s. A rubber stamp on the verso of the print reads: "BOONE's, FEB 25 1942, Austin, Texas". Boone Photo Company offered both photo finishing and commercial photography services. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124571/
[Power Lines at the Power Plant]
Photograph of power lines on the river side of the Seaholm Power Plant. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124569/
[Texas State Capitol]
Photograph of the Texas State Capitol taken from Congress Avenue. There are automobiles parked along the street. Cooper's Capitol Barber Shop can be seen on the west side of Congress Avenue. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124090/
Train bearing Emilio Carranza's body in Austin July 21, 1928
Photograph of a train bearing Emilio Carranza's body as it stops in Austin on its way back to Mexico. From verso: "Emilio Carranza was a famous Mexican 'Ace' who was killed in an accident in New Jersey just after he had taken off for Mexico City where his bride of four months awaited him. His father Sebastian Carranza accompanied the body. At various stops along the way from New York to Mexico, recognition was given the flying ace. In Austin members of state and city governments met the train as well as members of the Chamber of Commerce: Max Bickler, J.A. Nichols, A.D. Bolm, Sam Sparks, Horace Barnhart, John D. Miller, James W. Bass, Lynn Hunter, A.D. Boone, Walter Murray, Martin Andersen, Walter Seaholm, R. Niles Graham, H.H. Luedecke, J. W. Ezelle, and Walter E. Long." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124050/
FIRST PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT LAST