You limited your search to:

  Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
 Collection: Austin History Center General Collection Photographs
"Old Dismal" Substitute Hook and Ladder Wagon
Photograph of the Substitute Hook and Ladder Wagon and firemen outside of Texas State Capitol building taken from 11th Street and Colorado Street looking east. The Hook and Ladder Wagon is drawn by two horses. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124462/
[Municipal Golf Course tool shed]
Photograph of the front of the Municipal Golf Course tool house with door open. Gravel. sand, and boards are visible on the right exterior under the windows of the tool house. The bottom rungs of a ladder are visible right inside the door of the tool house. Many tire tracks indicate how often the house is visited. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124589/
[Street Car Railroad]
Photograph of a street car and street railroad tracks on West 39th Street. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123945/
[Beverly S. Sheffield at desk]
Photograph of Beverly Sheffield sitting at his desk. He holds a fountain pen above some papers. Sheffield wears a short-sleeved, button-up shirt and has glasses. A phone sits at his left elbow. His desk sits near a wall with two windows and a radiator. His name plate reads "B. S. Sheffield." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124808/
[Arch construction of the Negro Recreation Building, now Doris Miller Auditorium, in Rosewood Park]
Photograph of the construction of an arch at the Negro Recreation Building, now Doris Miller Auditorium, in Rosewood Park. A man in a fedora sits astride a semi-circular laminated wooden truss, working on joining it at the center. This truss, and two completed trusses in the background are framed against the sky. The trusses are supported by posts, and temporarily joined together with wooden cross braces. The top of a wooden scaffold is visible in the lower right corner of the image. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124740/
Cleaning Barton Springs
Photograph of two donkeys pulling a man in a cart through the shallow water at Barton Springs pool. From the Walter Long Collection. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124529/
[Rosewood Park swimming pool]
Photograph of the empty swimming pool at Rosewood Park for Negroes. The photograph shows the shower in the middle left where swimmers can wash off grass and dirt before entering the pool. The diving board is visible behind the shower indicating this is a photo of the deep end of the pool. A lifeguard sits in the lifeguard chair at the far end of the pool. A swing set is partially visible behind the diving board and a some trees. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124583/
[Treaty Oak]
Photograph of Treaty Oak on Baylor Street between Fifth and Sixth Streets in Austin shows the approximately 450-year-old tree's twisting branches and trunk. A low stone wall surrounds the tree, and sun dapples the grass beneath the branches. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124163/
[Women sewing]
Photograph of women sewing in a room in the old Pan American Recreation Center on 3rd and Comal Streets. Most women sit at sewing machines while four women crowd together on a bench and sew or embroider by hand. four women stand at a table in the back for cutting fabric A young boy of a bout five sits on footrest in the foreground. There is Mexican art on the walls and the only door to the room is open. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124718/
[Aerial view of courts and seats at Caswell Tennis Center]
Photograph of an aerial view of all six tennis courts, spectator stands, and parking at the Caswell Tennis Center on Shoal Creek at 24th and N. Lamar. Two men's doubles matches are visible in the back two courts. Spectators crowd in the shade under the awning. Residential neighborhoods are visible behind the tennis courts in the background. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124613/
[Aerial view of Zilker Park looking west]
Aerial photograph of Zilker Springs during development in 1938. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124413/
[Construction of the Rosewood Recreation Center, now Doris Miller Auditorium, in Rosewood Park]
Photograph of construction of the Negro Recreation Building in Rosewood Park. Three men stand on the back of a 1930s flat bed truck, as they use a crane mounted on the truck to lift half of a laminated wooden semi-circular arched truss into place. Two of the trusses are already completed in the background. The scaffolding used to support workers joining the trusses at their centers stands to the back of the truck. The trusses are joined by cross members, and the half truss erected to the left in the photograph is supported by a post, awaiting the other half of the truss. Two wooden saw horses and several stacks of bags of cement(?) are on the ground under and near the trusses. This photograph appeared in the 1944 Annual Report of the Austin Recreation Department, on page 48, labeled "New Gymnasium - Auditorium at Rosewood". texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124741/
[Dress fitting at Pan American Recreation Center]
Photograph of a woman standing with her right arm lifted while a seamstress works on the waistline of her dress. More women are working on sewing machines or sewing by hand. Several women measure and cut fabric in the back. This sewing room was in the old Pan American Recreation Center at 3rd Street and Comal Street. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124783/
[Flower bed at entrance to Zilker Park]
Photograph of the flower bed at entrance to Zilker Park, used in the City's 1937 Annual Report. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124526/
[Main Building and baseball field at Rosewood Recreation Center]
Photograph of Rosewood Recreation Center, showing the historic Bertram-Huppertz home which became the clubhouse and bath house once the park was established for black citizens. The City acquired the 1875 home of Rudolph Bertram, and adjacent land at 2300 Rosewood Avenue, from his daugheter Emmie Bertram Huppertz (Mrs. Charles Huppertz) in 1928, for the purpose of creating a segregated park for the African American community. The development included a swimming pool for Negros. A grand stone staircase was constructed next to the building by the Civil Works Administration (C. W. A.) in 1934, leading down to a baseball field. This view shows the side of the two-story stone house, designed by architect Joseph Sherwin, with two bay windows on the first floor. The stone steps and ball field are visible in the foreground. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124745/
[Rear view Seaholm Power Plant]
Photograph of the rear of the Seaholm Power Plant from the river side. Raised dirt roadways are visible in the foreground, as well as the many power lines emanating from the plant. The Seaholm Power Plant was constructed at 800 West 1st Street (now Cesar Chavez) in the 1930s and was eventually demolished in the 1960s. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124834/
[Rosewood park bandstand]
Photograph of the empty Rosewood Park bandstand. The bandstand is surrounded by electric light posts, and a large tree offers shade to the left. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124742/
[Austin Public Library, Carver Branch]
Photograph of the Carver Branch of the Austin Public Library. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123922/
[Austin Skyline]
Photograph of the Austin skyline taken from the top of the Light Plant. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123907/
[Building at Austin Memorial Park Cemetery]
Photograph of the exterior of a building at the Austin Memorial Park Cemetery. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123980/
[Elisabet Ney Museum]
Photograph of the exterior of the Elisabet Ney Museum. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123844/
[Green Water Treatment Plant]
Photograph of the Green Water Treatment Plant in Austin, TX. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123924/
New Sanitation Truck
Photograph of the new City of Austin Sanitation Division sanitation truck. The truck in the photograph is a 1939 General Motors dump truck. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123930/
[Old City Hall]
Photograph of the Old City Hall building. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123859/
Removing Street Car Tracks on East 1st
Photograph of two construction workers using jackhammers to remove the street cars tracks on East 1st Street. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123946/
Santa Rita Street
Photograph of a view down Santa Rita Street looking West from Perdenales in East Austin. L.A. Preston Food Store can be seen on the South side of the street. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123970/
Pool at Zilker Park
Photograph of the pool at Zilker Park. Inscription on back of photo reads "Lily Ponds built w/relief labor 1935 Annual Report" texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123871/
[Boys making model airplanes at the Pan American Recreation Center in Austin]
Photograph of a group of six Latino youth making balsa-wood airplanes from a Comet brand "Air-Age Educational Kit" at the Pan American Recreation Center (Pan American Community Center), 300 Comal Street, in Austin. The boys are working at two picnic tables placed end-to-end. Several other people, including a girl, two boys, a man and a woman, stand behind the table either observing or assisting. There is a Mexican tourism poster featuring a woman, with her hair in braids, holding a basket of fruit on the wall behind one of the tables. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124810/
[President Franklin D. Roosevelt and Eleanor Roosevelt making a whistle-stop campaign appearance in Austin]
Photograph of President Franklin Delano Roosevelt standing behind a podium, on a platform, at the end of a train car as he addresses the large, night-time crowd assembled before him. His outstretched arms grasp the podium. Roosevelt is surrounded by a group of people including his wife, Eleanor, and possibly John Nance Garner ("Cactus Jack"), the vice-president. A neon sign above the train car reads, "PROSPERITY'S ROSE BLOOMS AGAIN WITH ROOSEVELT." The crowd is standing shoulder-to-shoulder. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124167/
[Austin Municipal Airport]
Photograph of the Austin Municipal Airport. A Braniff Airways Inc. airplane is in the center of the photograph. There is a Humble aviation gasoline and lubricants pump in the photograph. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124006/
[View of crew working in slaughter room of the Austin Abattoir]
Photograph of a crew working on cattle carcases in a slaughterhouse. Inscribed on the back of the photo is "View of crew working in slaughter room of The Austin Abattoir. All in sight is beef." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123858/
[Children around USN sand sculpture at Sandcraft]
Photograph of a group of children around a sandbox with a sand sculpture of an anchor and the initials U.S.N. (United States Navy) imprinted over it at Sandcraft Park. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124747/
[Municipal Golf Course tool house]
Photograph of the tool house at the Municipal Golf Course. Boards, concrete slabs, and sand are visible along the side of the house. A man stands near a truck on the right. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124588/
[Municipal Golf Course view of rough]
Photograph of the rough from the green at the Municipal Golf Course in Austin. Trees are the visible challenges on either side of the course. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124587/
[Aerial View of Austin, TX]
Photograph of an aerial view of Austin, TX looking directly west from the Capitol dome. The photograph is of Block 135, which includes, Dr. Hayne's house, built by Abner Cook. Dr. Hayne's house was later Abner Cook's home and later the Quality Shops after it was moved to the front of the lot in the center of the block. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123895/
[E. 4th Street, Austin, TX]
Photograph of the 800 blocks of E. 4th Street looking east. Austin Pipe & Supply Co. is on the south side of the street. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123936/
[Aerial View of Austin, TX]
Photograph of an aerial view of Austin, TX taken from north of E. 15th Street. There are markers on the photograph indicating E. 15th ST., E. 11th ST., E. 8th ST., E. 7th ST., E. 4th ST., an the Colorado River. US-81 (present-day IH-35) can be seen running north and south through the left side of the photograph and the Capitol Building can be seen on the right. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123913/
[City of Austin Auditorium]
Photograph of the City of Austin Auditorium taken from the north side of Town Lake after a snowfall. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123857/
[Dan Davidson and Jack Robinson]
Photograph of (left to right): Dan Davidson, Austin City Manager, shaking the hand of Jack Robinson, Director of Austin Parks and Recreation Department (facing) in an office. Architectural plans lean against the wall behind manager Davidson. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124807/
[Future Site of the Recreation Department Building]
Photograph of the future site of the Recreation Department Building for the City of Austin. There is a construction sign, side-step pick-up truck and bleachers in the photograph. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123883/
[Marching band at Wooldridge Park]
Photograph of a marching band performing for a crowd at Wooldridge Park texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124552/
[New Airport at Night]
Photograph of airplanes on the tarmac at Austin's new airport. Photograph was taken at night. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123855/
[North Loop at Upper Georgetown Road]
Photograph of North Loop at Upper Georgetown Road. There are trees and a small bridge in the foreground. A home and parked car are in the background. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123951/
[Railroad tracks near Austin]
Photograph of International and Great Northern railroad tracks outside of Austin. On the tracks in the distance can be seen the switch, and in the far distance, the city watertower is visible. Telephone poles and brush are dominant, though some houses and fences indicating residences are visible. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124065/
[Scenes from New Airport]
Photograph of the exterior of Austin's new airport and parking lot. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123856/
[Seaholm Power Plant]
Photograph of an aerial view of the Seaholm Power Plant taken from south of the Colorado River (present-day Lady Bird Lake). texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123923/
[Seaholm Power Plant Intake Facility]
Photograph of the lake side view of the Seaholm Power Plant Intake facility. The Art Deco concrete facility was designed by Burns & McDonnell Engineering Company and was built in two phases in 1950 and 1955 by Odom Construction Company. The facility operated as a power plant until 1989 and was finally decommissioned in 1996 by the city of Austin. The intake facility is located on the shores of Lady Bird Lake and the Ann and Roy Butler Hike and Bike Trail. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124841/
[Texas State Capitol]
Photograph of the Texas State Capitol building in the late 1890s or early 1900s taken from the balcony at 1006 Congress Avenue. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124087/
[Widening of Woodrow Avenue]
Photograph of the widening of Woodrow Avenue. A young boy is watching the men work. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123952/
[Texas State Capitol and Street Railroad]
Photograph of the Texas State Capitol with a view of the street railroad on Congress Avenue. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125066/