This system will be undergoing maintenance Tuesday, September 30, 2014 from 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM CDT.

  You limited your search to:

  Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
 Collection: Austin History Center General Collection Photographs
Plan of the City of Austin
Photograph of the survey map of the City of Austin 1839. Surveyed by L. J. Pilie and Charles Schoolfield, drawn by L. J. Pilie. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123851/
Plan of the City of Austin
Photograph of a map of the City of Austin. Original map drawn by L. J. Pilie in 1839. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123850/
[Drawing of the Governor's Mansion]
Photograph of an illustration of the Governor's Mansion in 1856. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124114/
[Baptist Church and Capitol Building]
Photograph of the first church building used by the Baptist Church (left) and the 1853 Capitol building (right). texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123983/
[African-American families]
Photograph of a family of African-Americans standing in front of a log cabin. A young girl stands in the open doorway of the cabin and looks on at the family portrait. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124334/
[Governor's Mansion]
Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion. "The Governor's Mansion after Texas became a state in 1846, and stands today, although much altered and improved. It is still the Governor's Mansion. It was and is located one black SW of the Capitol." is written on back of photograph. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124452/
[Governor's Mansion & Baptist Church]
Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion and Baptist Church. "Pease Stero Picture 5" texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124451/
[Group of Young African Americans]
Photograph of a group of young African-Americans in front of a brick building. The men have removed their hats for the photo, and several men and women carry books in their hands or laps. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124674/
Negroes at McFadden Place near Circleville, Texas
Photograph of a family of women and children doing laundry under a tree by the banks of a river at McFadden [sic] Place near Circleville, Texas in Williamson County. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124055/
[Governor's Mansion]
Photograph of the Texas Governor's mansion view from across Colorado Street to the northwest, looking at the front (east) and south elevations, showing unpainted brick, people sitting on the front porch, the original staircase, and the original cantilevered balcony. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1866 was Governor James W. Throckmorton. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124244/
[Man on Horse on East Sixth Street]
Photograph of 200 East Sixth Street circa 1866. The man on horse is William Oliphant who owned a jewelry store on Pecan Street in 1852. The child with him is Will Carter. The Missouri House, Michael Ziller residence, is in the background. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123938/
[St. David's Episcopal Church]
Photograph of the exterior of St. David's Episcopal church. There are many people standing outside of the church. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123986/
[Governor's Mansion]
Photograph of the Texas Governor's mansion from around 1869. Taken from a stereoscope view. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124453/
[View of Austin, TX]
Photograph of a view of Austin, TX taken from the top of a government building. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124900/
[Front exterior of Governor's Mansion]
Photograph of Texas Governor's Mansion front and south elevation, unpainted brick, with fence and grounds. The upper balcony is not connected to the columns. Built by Abner Cook in 1855 and continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1870 is Governor Edmund J. Davis. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a National historic landmark in 1970. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124116/
[Governor's Mansion]
Photograph of the Texas Governor's mansion from around 1870. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125101/
[View of Austin, 1871]
Photograph of Austin in 1871. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123884/
A Topographical Map of the City of Austin
Photograph of a topographical map of the City of Austin published by P. De Cordova, Texas Land Agency. Original map drawn in May of 1872. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123849/
[Governor's Mansion view from the old Capitol building]
Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion from the site of the old Capitol building looking at the West and north elevations of the Governor's Manstion, grounds, street, barn and picket fence. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1874 was Governor Richard Coke. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124119/
[Texas State Capitol and Street Railroad]
Photograph of the Texas State Capitol with a view of the street railroad on Congress Avenue. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125066/
[Train at platform]
Photograph of a train at a platform. A man stands near it. Smoke billows from the smokestack. No other passengers are visible. Houses are visible on the left parallel to the rail line. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124059/
[Pecan Street (6th Street) Before Driskill Hotel]
Photograph of Pecan Street (6th Street) looking east from Colorado circa 1879, taken before the Driskill Hotel was built. Hamilton Biscoe Hillyer's gallery is in the photograph. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123939/
Governor's Mansion, Austin
Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion from the southeast showing dark columns, white picket fence out front, and wild grounds. Windows on the south side and front upper porch of the mansion are shuttered. Photographed from behind the white picket fence, which is visible in the immediate right foreground. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1880 was Governor Oran M. Roberts. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124469/
[Austin City Administration, 1881]
Photograph of Austin city administration: Standing L to R: J.W. Howard, Treasurer; C.D. Johns, Attorney; Ben Thompson, City Marshall; E.B. Connell, City Clerk; - Sitting L to R: Fred A. Sterzing, City Assessor; Mayor L.M. Crooker; Dr. R.H.L. Bibb, Physician. The city was incorporated in 1836 when Republic of Texas Vice President Mirabeau B. Lamar proposed that the state capital, then located in Houston, be moved to the area that sat just north of the Colorado River in the township then called Waterloo. Shortly thereafter, the city was renamed in honor of Stephen F. Austin. 1881 was the year that Austin public schools first held classes, and the University of Texas opened its doors shortly afterwards in 1883. Austin continued to expand throughout the 1880s and late 19th century. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123860/
[St. David's Episcopal Church]
Photograph of St. David's Episcopal Church taken from the front of the building looking northeast at the intersection of San Jacinto and East 7th. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123988/
Governor's Mansion
Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion in 1882 when it was first occupied. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124115/
[View of Austin, TX]
Photograph of a view of Austin, TX taken from 1802 Colorado Street. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123890/
[St. David's Episcopal Church exterior]
Photograph of an oblique view of the south front and west side of Saint David's Episcopal Church located at 301 East 8th Street. The gothic revival stone building has punched gothic windows, edged with stone quoins on the south facade, engaged pilasters and dormer vents. The symetrical south front has a central tower and castleated parapets. Two entrances are visible, both on the west facade: one on the south end and one on the north. There are four children standing in front of the west facade facing the camera, and what appears to be gas lamp standard at the southwest corner. The building was originally constructed in 1854. In 1870 the south addition was constructed, and the south tower was completed in 1885. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124818/
[Front exterior of Governor's Mansion]
Photograph of exterior front of Texas Governor's Mansion. The columns are dark, and the grounds are a bit unkempt and the windows shuttered. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1886 was Governor John Ireland. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124117/
1887 Graduating class of Austin High School
Photograph of the 1887 graduating class of Austin High School. Front row (left to right): Pearl Caswell, Nannie Kelley, Florence Collins, Lucille James. Middle row (left to right): Eliza Mitchell, J. H. Bryant (professor), Minnie Sykes. Back row standing (left to right): unidentified woman, Mila Morris, Janie Maxwell, unidentified woman, Eve Sadler, Gertrude Whitis, Helen Grant, and William Gorden. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124190/
Birds Eye Map of Austin
Birds eye map of Austin showing downtown, the river, and the University of Texas main building. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124693/
[Exterior of Driskill Hotel]
Photograph of a northwest view of the exterior corner of the Driskill Hotel. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124044/
[Exterior of Driskill Hotel]
Photograph of a corner view of the Driskill Hotel taken from the southeast corner of 6th Sreet and Brazos. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124043/
[Front exterior of Governor's Mansion]
Photograph of exterior front of Texas Governor's Mansion. The columns are dark, and the grounds are a bit unkempt and the windows shuttered. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1886 was Governor Lawrence Sullivan Ross. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124118/
[Texas State Capitol]
Photograph of the Texas State Capitol building taken from the south. The words "Souvenir May 1888" appear in the bottom center of the photograph. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124095/
[Anderson High School students]
Photograph of Anderson High School students lined up outside the schoolhouse which is either at Olive and Curve Streets or at Pennsylvania Street (currently Kealing Middle school). This class is composed of mostly female African American students. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124574/
[Texas State Capitol]
Photograph of the Texas State Capitol building. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124086/
[Austin White Lime Company]
Photograph of the exterior of Austin White Lime Company. There is a man walking in front of the building and there are lime kilns in the background. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124049/
Brick laying crew, West Sixth Street, looking West
Photograph of the railroad crew laying bricks around rail lines on West 6th street looking west. Trolly and telegraph wires cross heavily overhead. A large sign on a building behind the crew reads "Phoenix Saloon / Ice Cold Lager Beer / Wines Liquor." A penciled caption in the lower left reads "Some Texas / sunshine." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125058/
East track concreted
Photograph of the concrete team working on the east railroad track on Congress Avenue, looking toward the Capitol. The crews are working hard in the background while horses and carts line up to visit the clothing and shoe shops that line the road. Signs are visible for Carl Mayer Jeweler, Wright & Robinson, Mens Outfitters, Emil Risse art photographer, a commercial college and a laundry. A trolley car is visible in the distance. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125060/
[Impact at uknown game at Clark Field]
Photograph of low angle shot of an impact at an uknown game at Clark Field. The weather is sunny and cloudless. Even at this close range, it is difficult to determine which players belong to which team. At this time players did not wear helmets or protective padding. Their uniforms consisted of opposing colors and did not contain team names, logos, player names, or numbers. The University of Texas began its football program in 1893 managed by Albert Lefevra, playing two games in the fall and two in the spring. The following year, the team hired its first official head coach, R.D. Wentworth. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124227/
[Kickoff of unkown game at Clark Field]
Photograph of kickoff of an unknown football game at Clark Field. The weather is sunny and cloudless, and a crowd watches while standing across the field. The University of Texas began its football program in 1893 managed by Albert Lefevra, playing two games in the fall and two in the spring. The following year, the team hired its first official head coach, R.D. Wentworth. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124223/
Rail crew on East Sixth Street looking West
Photograph of African-American workers laying down rail line on one side of East 6th Street. Pedestrians look on from beneath the shop awnings. Shop signs for a candy store, millinery and a druggist are visible. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125063/
[Railroad crew digging]
Photograph of a crew of African-Americans digging a ditch where the second railroad line will lie. They use shovels and pickaxes in front of a row of shops including C.B. Moreland Wall Paper store and the Postal Telegraph service. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125061/
[Railroad crew working on second track]
Photograph of an African-American railroad crew working on a second rail road line in front of a row of hardware and home goods shops. The trenches have been dug and the brick stripped out from the roads where the rail lines will lie. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125065/
[Santa Monica Springs of the Colorado River]
Photograph of people sitting around and wading in Santa Monica Springs of the Colorado River in 1890. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124007/
[Smelting crew joining rail ties]
Photograph of the smelting crew pouring white hot liquid metal over rails as they install a railroad line in the street. Two men grip the bucket handles and tilt them and the bucket so that a third man can push the molten metal out, joining the rails together. The heads and faces of the men are not visible. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125064/
Special work, Sixth Street and Congress Avenue looking North
Photograph of a crew of African-American workers hard at work on the railroad intersections at 6th Street and Congress Avenue while foremen and others look on. Shops along the west side of the street are visible, including a dentist, shoe store, book store, and clothing store. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125062/
[Tackle at unknown game at Clark Field]
Photograph of Tackle at an uknown game at Clark Field. Coaches, referees, and players look on from the field and sidelines. A large crowd of spectators stands along the opposite side of the field. The University of Texas began its football program in 1893 managed by Albert Lefevra, playing two games in the fall and two in the spring. The following year, the team hired its first official head coach, R.D. Wentworth. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124224/
[Three University of Texas at Austin football players]
Photograph of three University of Texas football plays standing tall. Uniforms consist of striped swaters with "UT" written on the breast; quilted pants, striped socks, and laced leather ankle boots. The University of Texas began its football program in 1893 managed by Albert Lefevra, playing two games in the fall and two in the spring. The following year, the team hired its first official head coach, R.D. Wentworth. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124230/
FIRST PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT LAST