You limited your search to:

  Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
 Decade: 1880-1889
[Austin City Administration, 1881]

[Austin City Administration, 1881]

Date: 1881
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of Austin city administration: Standing L to R: J.W. Howard, Treasurer; C.D. Johns, Attorney; Ben Thompson, City Marshall; E.B. Connell, City Clerk; - Sitting L to R: Fred A. Sterzing, City Assessor; Mayor L.M. Crooker; Dr. R.H.L. Bibb, Physician. The city was incorporated in 1836 when Republic of Texas Vice President Mirabeau B. Lamar proposed that the state capital, then located in Houston, be moved to the area that sat just north of the Colorado River in the township then called Waterloo. Shortly thereafter, the city was renamed in honor of Stephen F. Austin. 1881 was the year that Austin public schools first held classes, and the University of Texas opened its doors shortly afterwards in 1883. Austin continued to expand throughout the 1880s and late 19th century.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
Capitol under construction

Capitol under construction

Date: 1881/1888
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the construction site for the current Capitol building, constructed 1881-1888. View is from the Travis County Courthouse located on 11th Street.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
Morrison & Fourmy's General Directory of the City of Austin for 1881-1882

Morrison & Fourmy's General Directory of the City of Austin for 1881-1882

Date: 1881
Creator: Morrison & Fourmy Directory Co.
Description: "Containing the present state, county and city governments, and a complete list of all county officials, post offices and money order offices in Texas; also, an index of societies, associations, churches, corporations, educational institutes, the full name and address of all residents, their occupations or pursuits and a complete classified business directory."
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
Scottish Granite Cutters

Scottish Granite Cutters

Date: 1881/1888
Creator: Ellison Photo Co.
Description: Group photo of men. Back of photograph reads, "Scottish granite cutters imported to cut granite at Granite Mountain."
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[St. David's Episcopal Church]

[St. David's Episcopal Church]

Date: January 1, 1881
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of St. David's Episcopal Church taken from the front of the building looking northeast at the intersection of San Jacinto and East 7th.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
The Burning Capitol

The Burning Capitol

Date: November 7, 1881
Creator: Hillyer, H. B.
Description: View of the Capitol as it burns looking north from the corner of 11th and Congress.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
Downtown Austin

Downtown Austin

Date: 1882/1888
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of downtown Austin with Capitol under construction. Caption reads, "Birdseye view of Austin, Texas taken from School for Deaf showing the Capitol Bldg under construction. Note that west wing of main bldg of University was only partly built at that time."
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
Governor's Mansion

Governor's Mansion

Date: 1882
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion in 1882 when it was first occupied.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[View of Austin, TX]

[View of Austin, TX]

Date: 1882
Creator: A.M. Jackson
Description: Photograph of a view of Austin, TX taken from 1802 Colorado Street.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
Report of Construction of the Temporary State Capitol, at Austin, Texas.

Report of Construction of the Temporary State Capitol, at Austin, Texas.

Date: 1883
Creator: State of Texas. Capitol Board.
Description: This report is a compilation of the legislation and correspondence related to the building of the temporary state capitol in 1882.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
FIRST PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT LAST