Description: Photograph of a classroom interior as seen from the back entrance door, showing wooden desks and seats with slatted backs in the foreground, along with a cast iron stove in the central aisle. To the back of the photograph lies the teacher's wooden desk, and a long blackboard that spans the length of the front classroom wall. There are two wall-mounted gas lamps above the blackboard, and several photographs are posted above and on the blackboard. The floor is constructed of wooden boards, and the walls are board and batten. There is a window to the right in the photograph, which has an opaque shade shaped like an awning. This is probably a view of the 1896 one-room school, which replaced the 1874 school that burned, and was used from 1896 to 1937. The 2 acres of land for the school were provided by William and Sophia Teague. Builders of the school were Henry Johnson, Oscar Carlson, and John Marshall. This photograph is copied from a manuscript by Mrs. H. R. Gentry, entitled: "Eanes School, Travis County".
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library