Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab., Austin
Description: Photograph of a women's gym class at Austin Athletic Club. These twenty-five women appear to range in age from their twenties to their mid to late thirties. They wear short-sleeved white blouses and dark colored shorts with high-top lace-up sneakers. They stand on the floor and first step of the wooden bleachers of the interior volleyball courts. The first organized recreation center in Austin was the privately owned Austin Athletic Club, built in 1923, by William T. Caswell. In 1931. Mr. Caswell sold the club to the City of Austin for "a small remuneration". The name of the center was officially changed to the Austin Recreation Center in 1970. After substantial damage, due to the Memorial Day flood of 1981 that center was closed after the existing center was built and opened in 1986.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library