You limited your search to:

  Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
 Decade: 1890-1899
 Collection: Austin History Center General Collection Photographs
Special work, Sixth Street and Congress Avenue looking North

Special work, Sixth Street and Congress Avenue looking North

Date: [1890..1899]
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of a crew of African-American workers hard at work on the railroad intersections at 6th Street and Congress Avenue while foremen and others look on. Shops along the west side of the street are visible, including a dentist, shoe store, book store, and clothing store.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Tackle at unknown game at Clark Field]

[Tackle at unknown game at Clark Field]

Date: [1890..1919]
Creator: Hart, James H.
Description: Photograph of Tackle at an uknown game at Clark Field. Coaches, referees, and players look on from the field and sidelines. A large crowd of spectators stands along the opposite side of the field. The University of Texas began its football program in 1893 managed by Albert Lefevra, playing two games in the fall and two in the spring. The following year, the team hired its first official head coach, R.D. Wentworth.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Three University of Texas at Austin football players]

[Three University of Texas at Austin football players]

Date: [1890..1919]
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of three University of Texas football plays standing tall. Uniforms consist of striped swaters with "UT" written on the breast; quilted pants, striped socks, and laced leather ankle boots. The University of Texas began its football program in 1893 managed by Albert Lefevra, playing two games in the fall and two in the spring. The following year, the team hired its first official head coach, R.D. Wentworth.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
Tracks concreted, concrete crew in distance, Congress Avenue looking South

Tracks concreted, concrete crew in distance, Congress Avenue looking South

Date: 1890..1899
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the newly concreted railroad tracks on Congress Avenue looking south. The concrete crew is working on the tracks in the distance. Horses and carts are visible near in front of the shops, including Condit Davis & Fink and a bakery in the foreground.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Unknown game at Clark Field]

[Unknown game at Clark Field]

Date: [1890..1919]
Creator: Hart, James H.
Description: Photograph of an unknown game at Clark Field shows players piling on each other right before a tackle while officials look on. A large crowd of spectators stands along the opposite side of the field. At this time players did not wear helmets or protective padding. Their uniforms consisted of opposing colors and did not contain team names, logos, player names, or numbers. The University of Texas began its football program in 1893 managed by Albert Lefevra, playing two games in the fall and two in the spring. The following year, the team hired its first official head coach, R.D. Wentworth.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Unkown game at Clark Field]

[Unkown game at Clark Field]

Date: [1890..1919]
Creator: Hart, James H.
Description: Photograph of a tackle at an unknown game at Clark Field. Players at this time did not wear helmets of protective padding. They wear no numbers or jerseys. The photographer's shadow is visible in the bottom of the image. The University of Texas began its football program in 1893 managed by Albert Lefevra, playing two games in the fall and two in the spring. The following year, the team hired its first official head coach, R.D. Wentworth.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[People in Boat on Colorado River]

[People in Boat on Colorado River]

Date: May 18, 1890
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of three women and two nicely dressed men in a boat at Mormon Falls on the Colorado River with Mt. Bonnell in the background.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Exterior of Decker Methodist Church]

[Exterior of Decker Methodist Church]

Date: 1892~
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the front exterior of Decker Methodist Church circa 1892. The church was built in 1879 and was moved in 1901. There is a large group standing in front of the church. Among those present are Reverend August Wallin, S.A. Lundell (grandfather of Mrs. Simon Swahn who was Hilma Johnson) and his brother Gustav Lundell, L.P. Swahn (father of Simon Swahn)and his brother C.J. Swahn, and F.G. Swenson.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[40th and Avenue G in Hyde Park ]

[40th and Avenue G in Hyde Park ]

Date: 1893
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the site of 40th and Avenue G in Hyde Park, taken before Avenue G was built.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
Elisabet Ney's Studio

Elisabet Ney's Studio

Date: 1893
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of an exterior view of Elisabet Ney's Studio. The stone building has a classical style pediment. Two people are visible seated at a table to the side of the building. In 1892, European portrait sculptor Elisabet Ney (1833-1907) purchased property in Austin at 304 East 44th Street, established a studio named Formosa, and resumed her career as a noted sculptor. Ney sculpted and collected portraits of notable Texans and Europeans. Following Ney’s death in 1907, her friends preserved the studio and its contents as the Elisabet Ney Museum and established the Texas Fine Arts Association dedicated to her memory.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library