You limited your search to:

  Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
 Collection: Austin History Center General Collection Photographs
[Arch construction of the Negro Recreation Building, now Doris Miller Auditorium, in Rosewood Park]

[Arch construction of the Negro Recreation Building, now Doris Miller Auditorium, in Rosewood Park]

Date: December 10, 1943
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab, Austin
Description: Photograph of the construction of an arch at the Negro Recreation Building, now Doris Miller Auditorium, in Rosewood Park. A man in a fedora sits astride a semi-circular laminated wooden truss, working on joining it at the center. This truss, and two completed trusses in the background are framed against the sky. The trusses are supported by posts, and temporarily joined together with wooden cross braces. The top of a wooden scaffold is visible in the lower right corner of the image.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Construction of the Rosewood Recreation Center, now Doris Miller Auditorium, in Rosewood Park]

[Construction of the Rosewood Recreation Center, now Doris Miller Auditorium, in Rosewood Park]

Date: December 10, 1943
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab., Austin
Description: Photograph of construction of the Negro Recreation Building in Rosewood Park. Three men stand on the back of a 1930s flat bed truck, as they use a crane mounted on the truck to lift half of a laminated wooden semi-circular arched truss into place. Two of the trusses are already completed in the background. The scaffolding used to support workers joining the trusses at their centers stands to the back of the truck. The trusses are joined by cross members, and the half truss erected to the left in the photograph is supported by a post, awaiting the other half of the truss. Two wooden saw horses and several stacks of bags of cement(?) are on the ground under and near the trusses. This photograph appeared in the 1944 Annual Report of the Austin Recreation Department, on page 48, labeled "New Gymnasium - Auditorium at Rosewood".
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Group of African American women in the Negro War Recreation Council Building]

[Group of African American women in the Negro War Recreation Council Building]

Date: January 6, 1944
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of a group of African American women seated in a reading room at the Negro War Recreation Council Building and bus depot, located in the former city market building at 702-14 East Avenue (now I-35). The group is seated in a "U" shape, facing a woman seated at a the head table. Books, a four-drawer card file, magazines, and a radio line the back wall. On the wall there is a war bond poster which reads: "Don't let that shadow touch them, Buy WAR BONDS", where the "shadow" is in the shape of a swastika and three children cower in its wake. There is a wall-mounted electric fan to the right of the war bond poster, and a fur coat hangs on a coat hook on the left window wall. A hand-made poster on a window at the back reads: "ATTENTION, Have you written a Letter home to-day? Writing facilities may be obtained at the information desk. Books and Magazines are available in the office for SERVICE MEN."
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Interior view of the Negro War Recreation Council Building with 3 women and 3 Soldiers around a table]

[Interior view of the Negro War Recreation Council Building with 3 women and 3 Soldiers around a table]

Date: January 6, 1944
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the interior of the Negro War Recreation Council Building, located at 702-14 East Avenue (now I-35) in the former city market building, showing a group of African Americans, including 3 women and 3 soldiers in uniform. Four of the women and men are seated in couples at a table, while the remaining soldier is sitting on the table as the woman stands in front of it. All of the women are nicely dressed; one has a fur collar and hat, and one has flowers in her hair. The building, which also served as a bus depot, has several wooden benches, roughly constructed of lumber. Several of the windows to the rear of the photograph are decoratively painted with stars, patriotic shields and the letter "V". Three single glass globe pendant light fixtures are visible hanging from the open vaulted ceiling. The market building was originally constructed as a 1935 Public Works Administration (PWA) project, which opened in June 1935.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Negro War Recreation Council Headquarters building]

[Negro War Recreation Council Headquarters building]

Date: January 6, 1944
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the Negro War Recreation Council Headquarters building, a concrete frame building located at 702-14 East Avenue (now I-35) in the former city market, repurposed as a bus depot and recreation building for African American soldiers. The windows are 6/6 configuration, many of which are decoratively painted with stars, patriotic shields and the letter "V". The 5-panel double wooden entrance doors, at the center of the photograph, each have painted or decal flags on the second horizontal panel from the top. The sign above the doors reads: "HEADQUARTERS, SUB-BUS STATION, NEGRO WAR RECREATION COUNCIL". To the left of the doors sits a 1930s-era sedan, and to the left of that is a ground-mounted sign that reads: "SUB-BUS STATION for COLORED SOLDIERS". There is a large flag pole, without a flag, visible to the rear of photograph. A wooden bench sits in front of the right building bay. There are several suitcases on the bench, and an overcoat appears to be draped over some of them. The market building was originally constructed as a 1935 Public Works Administration (PWA) project, which opened in June 1935.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Rio Grande Campus in Winter]

[Rio Grande Campus in Winter]

Date: January 14, 1944
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of Austin High School, Rio Grande Campus, after snowfall.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Governor's Mansion]

[Governor's Mansion]

Date: 1945
Creator: Boone Photo Co.
Description: Photograph of the Governor's Mansion taken from the front lawn.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Governor's Mansion]

[Governor's Mansion]

Date: 1945
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion showing the east elevation, grounds, walkway, screened upper porch, flag pole, and Carriage House. The roof of the house is obscured by green foliage from several trees on the front lawn. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1945 was Governor Coke R. Stevenson. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Anna Duval Bank's Spring Dance Recital]

[Anna Duval Bank's Spring Dance Recital]

Date: 1946
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of Anna Duval Bank's Spring Dance Recital with a row of five young girls, including Sharon Ward (second from the front) and Elizabeth Ann Curry (third from the front), wearing drummer costumes and sitting on wooden chairs. They are holding drums decorated with cartoon characters on their laps. Champ Howell, a young boy wearing a similar costume, sits at the end of the row.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Boys making model airplanes at the Pan American Recreation Center in Austin]

[Boys making model airplanes at the Pan American Recreation Center in Austin]

Date: November 19, 1946
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Laboratory, City of Austin
Description: Photograph of a group of six Latino youth making balsa-wood airplanes from a Comet brand "Air-Age Educational Kit" at the Pan American Recreation Center (Pan American Community Center), 300 Comal Street, in Austin. The boys are working at two picnic tables placed end-to-end. Several other people, including a girl, two boys, a man and a woman, stand behind the table either observing or assisting. There is a Mexican tourism poster featuring a woman, with her hair in braids, holding a basket of fruit on the wall behind one of the tables.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library