You limited your search to:

  Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Congress Avenue at 7th Street]

[Congress Avenue at 7th Street]

Date: 1877/1878
Creator: unknown
Description: Looking south down the east side of Congress Avenue and 7th Street.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
Mooney & Morrison's General Directory Of The City Of Austin, Texas, For 1877-78.

Mooney & Morrison's General Directory Of The City Of Austin, Texas, For 1877-78.

Date: [1877]
Creator: Mooney & Morrison
Description: General directory for Austin, Texas includes address listings for businesses and individuals as well as advertisements from local businesses.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Pecan Street (6th Street) Before Driskill Hotel]

[Pecan Street (6th Street) Before Driskill Hotel]

Date: 1879~
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of Pecan Street (6th Street) looking east from Colorado circa 1879, taken before the Driskill Hotel was built. Hamilton Biscoe Hillyer's gallery is in the photograph.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
Governor's Mansion, Austin

Governor's Mansion, Austin

Date: 1880
Creator: Hill, S.B.
Description: Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion from the southeast showing dark columns, white picket fence out front, and wild grounds. Windows on the south side and front upper porch of the mansion are shuttered. Photographed from behind the white picket fence, which is visible in the immediate right foreground. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1880 was Governor Oran M. Roberts. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Austin City Administration, 1881]

[Austin City Administration, 1881]

Date: 1881
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of Austin city administration: Standing L to R: J.W. Howard, Treasurer; C.D. Johns, Attorney; Ben Thompson, City Marshall; E.B. Connell, City Clerk; - Sitting L to R: Fred A. Sterzing, City Assessor; Mayor L.M. Crooker; Dr. R.H.L. Bibb, Physician. The city was incorporated in 1836 when Republic of Texas Vice President Mirabeau B. Lamar proposed that the state capital, then located in Houston, be moved to the area that sat just north of the Colorado River in the township then called Waterloo. Shortly thereafter, the city was renamed in honor of Stephen F. Austin. 1881 was the year that Austin public schools first held classes, and the University of Texas opened its doors shortly afterwards in 1883. Austin continued to expand throughout the 1880s and late 19th century.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
Capitol under construction

Capitol under construction

Date: 1881/1888
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the construction site for the current Capitol building, constructed 1881-1888. View is from the Travis County Courthouse located on 11th Street.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
Morrison & Fourmy's General Directory of the City of Austin for 1881-1882

Morrison & Fourmy's General Directory of the City of Austin for 1881-1882

Date: 1881
Creator: Morrison & Fourmy Directory Co.
Description: "Containing the present state, county and city governments, and a complete list of all county officials, post offices and money order offices in Texas; also, an index of societies, associations, churches, corporations, educational institutes, the full name and address of all residents, their occupations or pursuits and a complete classified business directory."
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
Scottish Granite Cutters

Scottish Granite Cutters

Date: 1881/1888
Creator: Ellison Photo Co.
Description: Group photo of men. Back of photograph reads, "Scottish granite cutters imported to cut granite at Granite Mountain."
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[St. David's Episcopal Church]

[St. David's Episcopal Church]

Date: January 1, 1881
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of St. David's Episcopal Church taken from the front of the building looking northeast at the intersection of San Jacinto and East 7th.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
The Burning Capitol

The Burning Capitol

Date: November 7, 1881
Creator: Hillyer, H. B.
Description: View of the Capitol as it burns looking north from the corner of 11th and Congress.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library