You limited your search to:

  Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
Downtown Austin
Photograph of downtown Austin with Capitol under construction. Caption reads, "Birdseye view of Austin, Texas taken from School for Deaf showing the Capitol Bldg under construction. Note that west wing of main bldg of University was only partly built at that time." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125112/
Governor's Mansion
Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion in 1882 when it was first occupied. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124115/
[View of Austin, TX]
Photograph of a view of Austin, TX taken from 1802 Colorado Street. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123890/
Report of Construction of the Temporary State Capitol, at Austin, Texas.
This report is a compilation of the legislation and correspondence related to the building of the temporary state capitol in 1882. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth38104/
Miss Flora McFlimsy
Poetry published by Mrs. E.C. Kent, inspired by her memories of the series on "Miss Flora McFlimsy" published in Harper's Monthly. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth34957/
Morrison & Fourmy's General Directory of the City of Austin, 1885-86
General directory for Austin, Texas includes address listings for businesses and individuals as well as advertisements from local businesses. According to the title page, the directory contains "the present state, county and city governments; a complete list of all county officials, post offices, telegraph, express, and money order offices in Texas; also, an index of societies, associations, corporations, churches, educational institutes, the full name and address of all residents, their occupations or pursuits, and a Complete Classified Business Directory. Also, a Valuable Map of the City." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth46837/
[St. David's Episcopal Church exterior]
Photograph of an oblique view of the south front and west side of Saint David's Episcopal Church located at 301 East 8th Street. The gothic revival stone building has punched gothic windows, edged with stone quoins on the south facade, engaged pilasters and dormer vents. The symetrical south front has a central tower and castleated parapets. Two entrances are visible, both on the west facade: one on the south end and one on the north. There are four children standing in front of the west facade facing the camera, and what appears to be gas lamp standard at the southwest corner. The building was originally constructed in 1854. In 1870 the south addition was constructed, and the south tower was completed in 1885. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124818/
Texas land titles : an essay (preliminary to the Texas review)
An essay about Texas land titles and how to correct errors. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth41248/
[Effie Roach Hofer Autograph Album]
Autograph album belonging to Effie Roach Hofer. It includes page a 10-line verse poem entitled "Poetry," with drawing of fiddle and pointing finger and hand, signed "W.S. Porter/Secretary Jolly Brothers." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth139323/
Athol Estes Porter Autograph book
Autograph album belonging to Athol Estes, includes 10-line two stanza poem. First letters of first five lines acrostically spell Athol (first letters of lines) and Estes (last letters of lines). Signed "W.S.P." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth139322/
[Cancelled Checks to W. S. Porter]
Cancelled checks written by Maddox Bros. & Anderson all made out to W. S. Porter. Some are endorsed on the back by Porter. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth139283/
[Front exterior of Governor's Mansion]
Photograph of exterior front of Texas Governor's Mansion. The columns are dark, and the grounds are a bit unkempt and the windows shuttered. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1886 was Governor John Ireland. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124117/
[Letter from O. Henry to Belle Palm]
Letter detailing programme for a musical event to be held on October 1, 1886, in which Belle Palm is on the program and O. Henry is the Musical Director. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth139270/
1887 Graduating class of Austin High School
Photograph of the 1887 graduating class of Austin High School. Front row (left to right): Pearl Caswell, Nannie Kelley, Florence Collins, Lucille James. Middle row (left to right): Eliza Mitchell, J. H. Bryant (professor), Minnie Sykes. Back row standing (left to right): unidentified woman, Mila Morris, Janie Maxwell, unidentified woman, Eve Sadler, Gertrude Whitis, Helen Grant, and William Gorden. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124190/
Birds Eye Map of Austin
Birds eye map of Austin showing downtown, the river, and the University of Texas main building. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124693/
[Exterior of Driskill Hotel]
Photograph of a northwest view of the exterior corner of the Driskill Hotel. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124044/
[Exterior of Driskill Hotel]
Photograph of a corner view of the Driskill Hotel taken from the southeast corner of 6th Sreet and Brazos. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124043/
[Front exterior of Governor's Mansion]
Photograph of exterior front of Texas Governor's Mansion. The columns are dark, and the grounds are a bit unkempt and the windows shuttered. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1886 was Governor Lawrence Sullivan Ross. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124118/
Souvenir of Austin, Texas
A series of views by photographer S.B. Hill. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth39136/
Goddess of Liberty with Workers
Capitol construction crews surrounding the Goddess of Liberty statue that was later placed on top of the Capitol dome. Right side, back row, fifth from right with mustache is identified as Hans Falkenberg. This original iteration of the Goddess was taken down during restoration of the Capitol in 1985, restored and eventually put on display at the Bob Bullock Texas State History Museum. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125154/
[Texas State Capitol]
Photograph of the Texas State Capitol building taken from the south. The words "Souvenir May 1888" appear in the bottom center of the photograph. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124095/
Capitol Dedication
Parade south down Congress Avenue from the Capitol. Caption reads: "Chichasaw Guard from Murpheesburo, Tenn." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125135/
[Anderson High School students]
Photograph of Anderson High School students lined up outside the schoolhouse which is either at Olive and Curve Streets or at Pennsylvania Street (currently Kealing Middle school). This class is composed of mostly female African American students. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124574/
Manor, Texas
Street scene of Manor, Texas with horse-drawn carts. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125175/
Manor, Texas
Street scene of Manor, Texas with horse-drawn carts. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125174/
Morrison & Fourmy's General Directory of the City of Austin for 1889-1890
"Containing the present state, county, and city governments, and a complete list of all county officials, post offices and money order offices in Texas; also, an index of societies, associations, churches, corporations, educational institutes, the full name and address of all residents, their occupations or pursuits, and a complete classified business directory." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth39150/
[Texas State Capitol]
Photograph of the Texas State Capitol building. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124086/
[Austin White Lime Company]
Photograph of the exterior of Austin White Lime Company. There is a man walking in front of the building and there are lime kilns in the background. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124049/
Brick laying crew, West Sixth Street, looking West
Photograph of the railroad crew laying bricks around rail lines on West 6th street looking west. Trolly and telegraph wires cross heavily overhead. A large sign on a building behind the crew reads "Phoenix Saloon / Ice Cold Lager Beer / Wines Liquor." A penciled caption in the lower left reads "Some Texas / sunshine." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125058/
[Capitol from Old Main Building (University of Texas)]
View from the top of the Old Main Building (University of Texas) looking south at the Capitol. An unpaved University Avenue is in view. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125127/
East track concreted
Photograph of the concrete team working on the east railroad track on Congress Avenue, looking toward the Capitol. The crews are working hard in the background while horses and carts line up to visit the clothing and shoe shops that line the road. Signs are visible for Carl Mayer Jeweler, Wright & Robinson, Mens Outfitters, Emil Risse art photographer, a commercial college and a laundry. A trolley car is visible in the distance. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125060/
[Impact at uknown game at Clark Field]
Photograph of low angle shot of an impact at an uknown game at Clark Field. The weather is sunny and cloudless. Even at this close range, it is difficult to determine which players belong to which team. At this time players did not wear helmets or protective padding. Their uniforms consisted of opposing colors and did not contain team names, logos, player names, or numbers. The University of Texas began its football program in 1893 managed by Albert Lefevra, playing two games in the fall and two in the spring. The following year, the team hired its first official head coach, R.D. Wentworth. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124227/
[Kickoff of unkown game at Clark Field]
Photograph of kickoff of an unknown football game at Clark Field. The weather is sunny and cloudless, and a crowd watches while standing across the field. The University of Texas began its football program in 1893 managed by Albert Lefevra, playing two games in the fall and two in the spring. The following year, the team hired its first official head coach, R.D. Wentworth. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124223/
Rail crew on East Sixth Street looking West
Photograph of African-American workers laying down rail line on one side of East 6th Street. Pedestrians look on from beneath the shop awnings. Shop signs for a candy store, millinery and a druggist are visible. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125063/
[Railroad crew digging]
Photograph of a crew of African-Americans digging a ditch where the second railroad line will lie. They use shovels and pickaxes in front of a row of shops including C.B. Moreland Wall Paper store and the Postal Telegraph service. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125061/
[Railroad crew working on second track]
Photograph of an African-American railroad crew working on a second rail road line in front of a row of hardware and home goods shops. The trenches have been dug and the brick stripped out from the roads where the rail lines will lie. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125065/
[Santa Monica Springs of the Colorado River]
Photograph of people sitting around and wading in Santa Monica Springs of the Colorado River in 1890. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124007/
[Smelting crew joining rail ties]
Photograph of the smelting crew pouring white hot liquid metal over rails as they install a railroad line in the street. Two men grip the bucket handles and tilt them and the bucket so that a third man can push the molten metal out, joining the rails together. The heads and faces of the men are not visible. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125064/
Special work, Sixth Street and Congress Avenue looking North
Photograph of a crew of African-American workers hard at work on the railroad intersections at 6th Street and Congress Avenue while foremen and others look on. Shops along the west side of the street are visible, including a dentist, shoe store, book store, and clothing store. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125062/
[Tackle at unknown game at Clark Field]
Photograph of Tackle at an uknown game at Clark Field. Coaches, referees, and players look on from the field and sidelines. A large crowd of spectators stands along the opposite side of the field. The University of Texas began its football program in 1893 managed by Albert Lefevra, playing two games in the fall and two in the spring. The following year, the team hired its first official head coach, R.D. Wentworth. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124224/
[Three University of Texas at Austin football players]
Photograph of three University of Texas football plays standing tall. Uniforms consist of striped swaters with "UT" written on the breast; quilted pants, striped socks, and laced leather ankle boots. The University of Texas began its football program in 1893 managed by Albert Lefevra, playing two games in the fall and two in the spring. The following year, the team hired its first official head coach, R.D. Wentworth. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124230/
Tracks concreted, concrete crew in distance, Congress Avenue looking South
Photograph of the newly concreted railroad tracks on Congress Avenue looking south. The concrete crew is working on the tracks in the distance. Horses and carts are visible near in front of the shops, including Condit Davis & Fink and a bakery in the foreground. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125059/
[Unknown game at Clark Field]
Photograph of an unknown game at Clark Field shows players piling on each other right before a tackle while officials look on. A large crowd of spectators stands along the opposite side of the field. At this time players did not wear helmets or protective padding. Their uniforms consisted of opposing colors and did not contain team names, logos, player names, or numbers. The University of Texas began its football program in 1893 managed by Albert Lefevra, playing two games in the fall and two in the spring. The following year, the team hired its first official head coach, R.D. Wentworth. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124226/
[Unkown game at Clark Field]
Photograph of a tackle at an unknown game at Clark Field. Players at this time did not wear helmets of protective padding. They wear no numbers or jerseys. The photographer's shadow is visible in the bottom of the image. The University of Texas began its football program in 1893 managed by Albert Lefevra, playing two games in the fall and two in the spring. The following year, the team hired its first official head coach, R.D. Wentworth. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124225/
[People in Boat on Colorado River]
Photograph of three women and two nicely dressed men in a boat at Mormon Falls on the Colorado River with Mt. Bonnell in the background. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124021/
Constitution and by-laws of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas
Constitution and by-laws of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth34963/
[Exterior of Decker Methodist Church]
Photograph of the front exterior of Decker Methodist Church circa 1892. The church was built in 1879 and was moved in 1901. There is a large group standing in front of the church. Among those present are Reverend August Wallin, S.A. Lundell (grandfather of Mrs. Simon Swahn who was Hilma Johnson) and his brother Gustav Lundell, L.P. Swahn (father of Simon Swahn)and his brother C.J. Swahn, and F.G. Swenson. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123998/
[Texas Rangers - Company "I" Frontier Battalion]
Group of men with guns sitting in front of an encampment. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125351/
Texas State Capitol
Texas State Capitol grounds looking north from 11th St. Roads are unpaved and there is a group of girls under trees and a woman with a horse in the foreground. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125196/
[40th and Avenue G in Hyde Park ]
Photograph of the site of 40th and Avenue G in Hyde Park, taken before Avenue G was built. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123965/