You limited your search to:

  Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
 Collection: Austin History Center General Collection Photographs
Hello Dolly at the Zilker Hillside Theater
Photograph of "Hello Dolly" performed on stage at the Zilker Park Hillside Theater in Austin. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124263/
Hello Dolly at the Zilker Hillside Theater
Photograph of "Hello Dolly" being performed at Zilker Hillside Theater in Austin. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124264/
[Governor's Mansion]
Photograph of the exterior of the front entrance to the Govenor's mansion. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124356/
[Station wagon pulls Jackie Gerber, skiing on snow]
Photograph of Jackie Gerber of Austin, trying to ski behind a car on the first snowfall in several years. About 3-4 inches fell in the area, causing the closure of schools and many businesses. The modified water skies used by Gerber didn't do too well on the dry snow. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124965/
Governor's Mansion, Austin, Texas
Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion front elevation, showing concrete entry steps and Texas RTHL medallion over the front door. Two signs on the front lawn on either side of the steps read "Mansion Closed." The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1982 was Governor Bill Clements. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124378/
[Children's washtub band at Jourdan-Bachman Pioneer Farm]
Photograph of a washtub band consisting of at least nine young adults performing in a barn at Pioneer Farms. They wear homemade t-shirts that read "I'm a Singing Spark." Instruments consist of: three guitars, guitarron, banjo, washtub bass, and at least one tambourine. In 1852, Frederick and Harriet B. Jourdan settled on the site near Walnut Creek with their children. In 1956, grandchildren Laura and Eugene Giles, donated the core of their grandparents' property to the Heritage Society of Austin, in order to preserve the pioneer experience. The site and its museum operated under the auspices of the Austin Natural Science Association and later by the Parks and Recreation Department of the city of Austin until it was transferred back to the Heritage Society of Austin in 2003. Jourdan-Bachman Pioneer Farms operates multiple sites today. Pioneer Farms is a member of the American Association of Museums, the Association of Living History Farms and Museums, the American Association for State and Local History, the Texas Association of Museums and the Austin Museum Partnership.Pioneer Farms is a registered Austin Historic Landmark and a designated Heritage Tourism Destination Site. Our Pioneer School is community-education partner with the Austin Community College. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124772/
[Governor's Mansion]
Photograph of the front entrance of the Texas Governor's mansion taken after a recent snowfall. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124925/
[Man walking in snow before Ranger statue at Texas State Capitol building]
Photograph of a man walking in the snow and carrying an umbrella to protect his uncovered head from snow flurries. He is in front of the Texas Ranger equestrian statue on the grounds of the Texas state capitol building. Light snow covers the sidewalk and ground, indicating this snowfall as the first. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124937/
[Parents and children visit turkeys at Jourdan-Bachman Pioneer Farms]
Photograph of a group of parents and small children visiting the turkey coop at Pioneer Farms. Two children and parent look into the turkey coop. A white turkey is walking toward the coop. Feed covers the ground. In 1852, Frederick and Harriet B. Jourdan settled on the site near Walnut Creek with their children. In 1956, grandchildren Laura and Eugene Giles, donated the core of their grandparents' property to the Heritage Society of Austin, in order to preserve the pioneer experience. The site and its museum operated under the auspices of the Austin Natural Science Association and later by the Parks and Recreation Department of the city of Austin until it was transferred back to the Heritage Society of Austin in 2003. Jourdan-Bachman Pioneer Farms operates multiple sites today. Pioneer Farms is a member of the American Association of Museums, the Association of Living History Farms and Museums, the American Association for State and Local History, the Texas Association of Museums and the Austin Museum Partnership.Pioneer Farms is a registered Austin Historic Landmark and a designated Heritage Tourism Destination Site. Our Pioneer School is community-education partner with the Austin Community College. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124771/
[Young fishermen at Jourdan-Bachman Pioneer Farm]
Photograph of a family standing around a creek from which two children are fishing. The children, a boy between five and six years old and a girl between nine and twelve, hold fishing rods with lines cast into the water; a man sits on a log and watches. Other adults also stand on the creek bank. In 1852, Frederick and Harriet B. Jourdan settled on the site near Walnut Creek with their children. In 1956, grandchildren Laura and Eugene Giles, donated the core of their grandparents' property to the Heritage Society of Austin, in order to preserve the pioneer experience. The site and its museum operated under the auspices of the Austin Natural Science Association and later by the Parks and Recreation Department of the city of Austin until it was transferred back to the Heritage Society of Austin in 2003. Jourdan-Bachman Pioneer Farms operates multiple sites today. Pioneer Farms is a member of the American Association of Museums, the Association of Living History Farms and Museums, the American Association for State and Local History, the Texas Association of Museums and the Austin Museum Partnership.Pioneer Farms is a registered Austin Historic Landmark and a designated Heritage Tourism Destination Site. Our Pioneer School is community-education partner with the Austin Community College. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124729/
[Looking South Down Waller Creek]
Photograph of Waller Creek looking south from 6th Street bridge. Creek theater exterior is visible on the left. Tree branches are bare and heavy construction is visible on the right side of the creek behind the chain link fence. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124295/
[Metalsmith sculptor selling wares at the Renaissance Market]
Photograph of a metalsmith working on a sculpture on his sales table at the Renaissance Market on "The Drag" on Guadalupe Street near the University of Texas, Austin campus. His sculptures are towers, airships, and flowers with a fantastic element. His table is set up in front of a mural. A woman browses his wares. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124282/
General view of Sunday Break II
Photograph of general view of Sunday Break II rock concert from on stage. The concert was held at Steiner Ranch. Featured artists included The Band, Chicago, England Dan & John Ford Coley, Fleetwood Mack, Peter Frampton (who played Sunday Break in May of the same year), and Steve Miller Band. Sunday Break II was not as successful as the first Sunday Break due to the oppressive heat and trouble for crowds getting to the festival. The crowd estimated at 45,000 out of an expected 100,000; and the income gathered $350,000 out of an expected $800,000, forcing MayDay Productions (event organizers) into bankruptcy. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124964/
Sunday Break [music festival] 5/2/76
Photograph of a large crowd of people at the Sunday Break music festival with a stage visible in the backgroud. Performing acts included America, Peter Frampton, Santana, and Gary Wright. 56,000 people were in attendance with a gross income of $532,000 against expenses of $425,000. Medical assistance was provided by YWCA's Middle Earth Program with over 100 volunteers. DPS agents and uniformed city police were not invited in the gates. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124270/
[Austin Community Garden near airport]
Photograph of Austin Community Garden looking towards the airport. Rows of plants and a string fence separating rows are visible in the foreground. The airport control tower, airplanes and gates are visible behind the chain-link fence in the background. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124278/
[Dillman's Farm at Austin Community Gardens]
Photograph of a section of garden at the Austin Community Garden. A wooden sign that says "Dillman's Farm" is in the foreground, indicating the plot as belonging to the Dillmans. Wooden stakes and leafy plants are visible in front of a chain-link fence running along the border of the garden. A hose snakes up into view at the back of the Dillman plot. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124277/
[Student looking at University of Texas Main Building]
Photograph of student with backpack in foreground with U.T. Tower in background. Students are walking around the main campus in front of the main building. Several students are sitting in front of the steps. Several tables are visible in the background. An event is taking place. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124275/
Child takes a wild ride at Zilker Playscape
Photograph of a child sliding down a tube slide at Zilker Park. His hands are in the air while his mother leans over to support his exit. She carries a camera in her right hand. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124279/
[DeLeon children slide at Zilker Park]
Photograph of Jesse DeLeon holding on to a play structure while brother and sister (Michael and Angie) wait behind him, getting ready to go down the slide at Zilker Park. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124304/
[Inmate at Travis County Jail]
Photograph of an African-American man in handcuffs being led through door by a guard at the Travis County Jail in Austin. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125068/
[Laguna Gloria Grounds]
Photograph of trees and water on the grounds of Laguna Gloria (Austin Museum of Art). The name "Les Simon" is written on back of the photo. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123899/
Mother and baby at Zilker Playscape
Photograph of a mother gently swinging her baby in a chair swing at Zilker Park playscape. Both baby and mother look at each other and smile. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124302/
[Paving on 38th Street]
Photograph of a worker raking out hot asphaltic concrete just laid by the machine visible on the right on 38th Street. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124273/
[Dan Davidson and Jack Robinson]
Photograph of (left to right): Dan Davidson, Austin City Manager, shaking the hand of Jack Robinson, Director of Austin Parks and Recreation Department (facing) in an office. Architectural plans lean against the wall behind manager Davidson. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124807/
[Delta Sigma Theta members receive certificate]
Photograph of three women of the African-American sorority Delta Sigma Theta accept a certificate from the Travis County Historical Survey Commission on behalf of the Rosewood Recreation Association. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124746/
[Mrs. John Barclay to save Municipal Golf Course]
Photograph of Mrs. John Barclay handing out flyers that say "Forever Green. Save Muny" as a male hand signs a petition to save the Municipal Golf Course's 144 acres. Mrs. Barclay sits behind a table and places a hand over a number of cut out newspaper articles while she watches the supporter sign. The petition page is filled with two columns of names. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124313/
[Trying to save Municipal Golf Course]
Photograph of Austin citizens trying to save Municipal Golf Course's 144 acres on Jan. 4,1973. The people have concerned faces and lift up clubs. One man holds a sign that says "Save Muny." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124272/
[Student on UT shuttle bus]
Photograph of a female student holding onto the bar near the front door on the UT shuttle bus number 429. The driver looks out of the windshield. The student wears a backpack and appears to be waiting to exit the bus at the current or next stop. A "No smoking" sign above the driver prohibits passengers from smoking on the bus. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124271/
[St. John's Elementary School]
Photograph of the St. John's Elementary School, now closed. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123963/
[Travis County Jail Cell with bunks, toilet and sink]
Photograph of a large, multi-prisoner cell in the Travis County Jail, which has six bunks, a sink, toilet and wall-mounted light. Bars form the front wall of the cell, which has two sliding doors, one at each end of the cell. The bunks are made up with sheets, and have what appear to be blankets placed at the foot of the matresses. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125070/
[Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. from Nueces]
Photograph of Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard circa 1972 taken from Nueces looking east. There is construction taking place in the middle of the street. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123944/
Summer Musical at Hillside Theater
Photograph of the Summer musical, "Peter Pan", at the Hillside Theater at Zilker Park. Photograph of Peter Pan and the Lost Boys. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123880/
Summer Musical "Peter Pan"
Photograph of the Zilker Park Hillside Theater Summer musical, "Peter Pan". In the photograph Captain Hook and Peter Pan are sword fighting. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123881/
[Zilker Hillside Theatre - Peter Pan]
Photograph of two actors of the Zilker Hillside Thearte summer musical "Peter Pan" in August 1971. The two actors playing Captain Hook and Peter Pan are crossing their swords. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123882/
[Austin High School Student Council]
Photograph of Austin High School 1971 student council members standing L to R: Katie Miller, Vice President; Anna Reyes, Secretary; Charles Riptoe, Treasurer; Seated: Carlton Lowe, President. Stephen F. Austin High School was founded in 1881. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124205/
[Boy with Kite]
Photograph of a young boy with a kite. His kite has cartoon eyes, and he wears a striped shirt. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124285/
[L.C. Anderson High School closing boycott]
Photograph of students boycotting the closing of L.C. Anderson High School. The school was ordered closed in 1971 by a federal judge as part of desegregation. African-American students and parents sit on sidewalks and cars to protest the closing. The school, located at 900 Thompson Street, was originally named E.H. Anderson, and later renamed L.C. Anderson after one of its longest-serving principals. In 1973, a new, integrated L.C. Anderson High School reopened at its current location at 8403 Mesa Drive. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124207/
[Exterior of log cabin at Bohl's Place]
Photograph of the exterior of the log cabin at Bohl's Place. A bare tree stands on the side of the cabin. The cabin has a lifted, covered porch at the rear. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124770/
[Governor's Mansion with fence]
Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion front elevation, landscaping, and ironwork fence with whitewashed brick wall reading "Governor's Mansion" with an ironwork star in the wall. The shutters are open to the bare tree branches. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1971 was Governor Preston Smith. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124768/
[Man welding at Weigl Iron Works in Austin, Texas]
Photograph of a man wearing a welding mask, leather apron, jeans and work shirt, welding something on a bench in a work room. The wooden door to the room is open, and appears to let in light from the outside. There is a sign on the door that reads: "OPEN COME IN", and there are symbols branded into the door. Wires are strung across the rough wood plank floor, and many metal items are stacked on the floor, the workbench, and on shelves around the walls. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124360/
Putting down striping
Photograph of a worker riding on a self-propelled street striper, repainting the white dashed line of a four-lane road. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124289/
[E. 6th Street and Brazos]
Photograph of the Northeast corner of E. 6th Street and Brazos. St. David's is in the upper left of the photograph and the two story building is where the Driskell now stands. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123888/
[Adams Extract Company]
Photograph of a man working with equipment at the Adams Extract Company. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124048/
[Aerial View of Austin, TX]
Photograph of an aerial view of Austin, TX taken from south of the Colorado River looking up Congress Avenue towards the Texas State Capitol Building. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124699/
[Aerial View of Austin, TX]
Photograph of an aerial view of Austin, TX looking directly west from the Capitol dome. The photograph is of Block 135, which includes, Dr. Hayne's house, built by Abner Cook. Dr. Hayne's house was later Abner Cook's home and later the Quality Shops after it was moved to the front of the lot in the center of the block. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123895/
[Aerial View of Austin, TX]
Photograph of an aerial view of Austin, TX north of the Colorado River looking southwest. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123897/
[Aerial View of Austin, TX]
Photograph of an aerial view of Austin, TX taken from north of E. 15th Street. There are markers on the photograph indicating E. 15th ST., E. 11th ST., E. 8th ST., E. 7th ST., E. 4th ST., an the Colorado River. US-81 (present-day IH-35) can be seen running north and south through the left side of the photograph and the Capitol Building can be seen on the right. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123913/
[Aerial View of Austin, TX]
Photograph of an aerial view of Austin, TX. The "Power House" or Boiler House is for construction of new Capitol building that began in 1881. A Swedish or German Lutheran church is in the foreground. The building in the distance, left of the Power House stack is the old City Hospital. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123896/
[Aerial View of Deep Eddy]
Photograph of an aerial view of Deep Eddy pool and surrounding area. The pool is dried out and the trees are bare indicating winter. There are no visible people or activity near the pool. Deep Eddy began as a natural swimming hole in the Colorado River and was expanded into a man-made swimming pool in 1915 by A.J. Eilers, Sr. Deep Eddy pool is the oldest swimming pool in Texas and is operated and maintained by the City of Austin. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123861/
[Aerial View of the Texas State Capitol Building]
Photograph of an aerial view of the Texas State Capitol building and surrounding area. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123905/
FIRST PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT LAST