Date: November 20, 1946
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab, Austin
Description: Photograph of women sewing in a room in the old Pan American Recreation Center on 3rd and Comal Streets. Most women sit at sewing machines while four women crowd together on a bench and sew or embroider by hand. four women stand at a table in the back for cutting fabric A young boy of a bout five sits on footrest in the foreground. There is Mexican art on the walls and the only door to the room is open. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library