Date: February 10, 1943
Creator: Burea of Identification Photographic Lab., Austin
Description: Photograph of interior view showing the scaffolding used in painting the interior of the Austin Athletic Club building and the condition of building before painting. Volleyball nets stretch across two courts, with empty bleachers visible in background. The first organized recreation center in Austin was the privately owned Austin Athletic Club, built in 1923, by William T. Caswell. In 1931. Mr. Caswell sold the club to the City of Austin for "a small remuneration". The name of the center was officially changed to the Austin Recreation Center in 1970. After substantial damage, due to the Memorial Day flood of 1981 that center was closed after the existing center was built and opened in 1986.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library