You limited your search to:

  Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
 Collection: Austin History Center General Collection Photographs
[Brackenridge Elementary School]

[Brackenridge Elementary School]

Date: 1920~
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of Brackenridge Elementary School, located at 319 West Elizabeth Street, a segregated school for Negro children. The building was a one story wooden structure with board and batten exterior walls, 6/6 wood windows, and a plain, square-columned porch entrance. The wooden doors are topped by transom windows. This school for colored children was first listed in the 1909-1910 Austin City Directory, and a school by that name was operating as late as 1965.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Governor's Mansion with fence]

[Governor's Mansion with fence]

Date: 1971
Creator: Horberger, Carl
Description: Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion front elevation, landscaping, and ironwork fence with whitewashed brick wall reading "Governor's Mansion" with an ironwork star in the wall. The shutters are open to the bare tree branches. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1971 was Governor Preston Smith. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
East Avenue

East Avenue

Date: November 1937
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of East Avenue looking south from Lookout after a recent snowfall.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
Interior of senior high library [at Austin High School]

Interior of senior high library [at Austin High School]

Date: May 7, 1934
Creator: Boone, Alanson D.
Description: Photograph of interior of the senior high library at Austin High School from behind the circulation desk. Students fill the wooden tables, five or six per table. Girls sit together, as do boys, with some mixing. Card catalog drawers are on the circulation desk the foreground, as are books stacked and standing. A wall clock wrapped in ivy hangs on the wall above a bust on a mantle above a bricked in fireplace on the rear wall. Sunlight comes in through high windows on both left and right of the image. Double doors indicate the exit at the back of the room on the right. Paint is chipped from tabletop edges at the tables where students are seated in wooden chairs with vertical slats.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
UT Tower under construction

UT Tower under construction

Date: January 31, 1936
Creator: unknown
Description: View of University Avenue showing park in center and Tower under construction in background.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[University of Texas Old Main Building, front exterior]

[University of Texas Old Main Building, front exterior]

Date: [1904..1908]
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of University of Texas Old Main Building looking north, possibly up University Avenue, toward Old Main, with Women's Building and Chemistry Building on either side of Old Main. The road is unpaved and the trees are bare.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Aerial View of Governor's Mansion]

[Aerial View of Governor's Mansion]

Date: 1909
Creator: unknown
Description: Early photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion front elevation from a high vantage point across the street, showing lot in front of the mansion, grounds. The Carriage House is visible behind trees to the right of the mansion. A wooden fence is visible behind the mansion, but other fences are removed. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1909 was Governor Thomas Mitchell Campbell. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Mrs. John Barclay to save Municipal Golf Course]

[Mrs. John Barclay to save Municipal Golf Course]

Date: January 4, 1973
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of Mrs. John Barclay handing out flyers that say "Forever Green. Save Muny" as a male hand signs a petition to save the Municipal Golf Course's 144 acres. Mrs. Barclay sits behind a table and places a hand over a number of cut out newspaper articles while she watches the supporter sign. The petition page is filled with two columns of names.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
Austin High [School] R.O.T.C., 1968

Austin High [School] R.O.T.C., 1968

Date: August 1968
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of Austin High R.O.T.C. in 1968. (This is a portion of a panoramic AR.U.006(235) Panoramic Collection; section 4 of 6). Austin High School opened in 1881 and was the first public high school in Texas. In 1968 the campus was located at 1212 Rio Grande Street.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
Austin High School Mid A. Grade, 1896

Austin High School Mid A. Grade, 1896

Date: April 13, 1896
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of Austin High School Mid A. Grade class portrait on April 13, 1896. Austin High School opened in 1881. The class consists of 22 young women and five young men seated and standing in front of a school building at 11th Street and Rio Grande Street. There is a broken window behind the woman (Clara Whitteu) on the far left of the group, and a man stands nearly out of frame on the far left. From left to right (first row, seated): Gene Clark, Annie Spence, Mamie Heflybower, Lenora Patterson, Nellie Brown, Haysie Heflybower, Edna Slaughter, Molly Alison, George Decherd; (second row standing and seated): Clara Whitteu, Doree Durfee, LuEmma Raymond, Nan Turner, Kate Mayes, Willie Smith, Gracie Taylor, Laura Hirshfeld, Mary Perry; (last row, seated and standing): Ira Hamilton, Bessie Walsh, Zella Swancoat, Erin Crane, Lula Rose, Scott Key, Ansell Carouth, Will Orr, and Harry Bach.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library