Description: Photograph of an oblique view of the front facade of Blackshear Elementary School, located at 1712 East 11th Street, which was constructed in 1936. A two story brick building with a flat roof, the school was named for Edward Lavernia Blackshear, a former administrative supervisor of Austin's African-American schools. The building is symetrically designed, with a central entrance. There are groups of 5 windows on the first and second floor, with decorative brickwork on the wall between the floors. The base of the building is lined with vegetation. In the lower right corner of the image, hands hold a chalk board sign that reads, "2-14 1-BLACKSHEAR".
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library