You limited your search to:

  Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
 Collection: Austin History Center General Collection Photographs
Arts and crafts classes at Pan American Recreation Center

Arts and crafts classes at Pan American Recreation Center

Date: 196u
Creator: Recreation Dept., City of Austin
Description: Photograph of children painting papier mache elephants at the Pan American Recreation Center at an arts & crafts class. Two elephants sit on the table, nearly done. An open jar of paint and several towels sit on the table top. Two boys and three girls surround the table. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
Austin About 1839 or 1841.

Austin About 1839 or 1841.

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of a print in the book "Austin Yesterday and Today". The Daughters of the Republic of Texas own the original artwork.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
Austin Annual Kite Tournament, 1942

Austin Annual Kite Tournament, 1942

Date: March 15, 1942
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab, Austin
Description: Photograph of a group portrait of participants at the annual kite tournament featuring home made kites of various sizes flown by boys and a few girls. Most kites are decorated with a patriotic theme, in support of the American troops in World War II.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
Austin Athletic Club at Shoal Creek by House Park

Austin Athletic Club at Shoal Creek by House Park

Date: October 30, 1942
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab., Austin
Description: Photograph of rear exterior of the Austin Athletic Club at Shoal Creek by House Park. Visible are: a tennis court; benches for watching matches; two workers changing out screens on the second floor windows. The first organized recreation center in Austin was the privately owned Austin Athletic Club, built in 1923, by William T. Caswell. In 1931. Mr. Caswell sold the club to the City of Austin for "a small remuneration". The name of the center was officially changed to the Austin Recreation Center in 1970. After substantial damage, due to the Memorial Day flood of 1981 that center was closed after the existing center was built and opened in 1986.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Austin City Administration, 1881]

[Austin City Administration, 1881]

Date: 1881
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of Austin city administration: Standing L to R: J.W. Howard, Treasurer; C.D. Johns, Attorney; Ben Thompson, City Marshall; E.B. Connell, City Clerk; - Sitting L to R: Fred A. Sterzing, City Assessor; Mayor L.M. Crooker; Dr. R.H.L. Bibb, Physician. The city was incorporated in 1836 when Republic of Texas Vice President Mirabeau B. Lamar proposed that the state capital, then located in Houston, be moved to the area that sat just north of the Colorado River in the township then called Waterloo. Shortly thereafter, the city was renamed in honor of Stephen F. Austin. 1881 was the year that Austin public schools first held classes, and the University of Texas opened its doors shortly afterwards in 1883. Austin continued to expand throughout the 1880s and late 19th century.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Austin City Plan, 1840]

[Austin City Plan, 1840]

Date: unknown
Creator: Bill Malone Photography
Description: Photograph of an illustration by Edward Hall of a city plan for the Texas Government buildings in Austin. Architectural renderings of buildings can be found on the top half of the illustration. Handwritten on the photograph is a list of buildings that are seen in the plan including: the President's House, Capitol Hill and Bullock's Tavern.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Austin Community Garden near airport]

[Austin Community Garden near airport]

Date: September 1975
Creator: Fluitt, Mike
Description: Photograph of Austin Community Garden looking towards the airport. Rows of plants and a string fence separating rows are visible in the foreground. The airport control tower, airplanes and gates are visible behind the chain-link fence in the background.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Austin Dam Broken after Flood]

[Austin Dam Broken after Flood]

Date: 190u
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of a view southwest at the Austin Dam on the Colorado River after breaking during a flood.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Austin Dam Broken after Flood]

[Austin Dam Broken after Flood]

Date: January 1, 1900
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of a view southeast at the Austin Dam on the Colorado River after breaking during a flood.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Austin Dam broken in Colorado River flood]

[Austin Dam broken in Colorado River flood]

Date: 1900
Creator: Marks, H.R.
Description: Photograph of Southeast view of the Austin Dam on the Colorado River after breaking during a flood. The dam was built in 1890 in an attempt to bring industry to the city, but failed after upriver storms sent a flood cracking the dam and killing eight people when the powerhouse flooded.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library