You limited your search to:

  Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
 Collection: Austin History Center General Collection Photographs
[Altar Boys at St. David's Episcopal Church]
Photograph of two altar boys kneeling at the altar of St. David's Episcopal Church. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123991/
[Altar of St. David's Episcopal Church]
Photograph of the altar of the St. David's Episcopal church. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123997/
[Anderson High School students]
Photograph of Anderson High School students lined up outside the schoolhouse which is either at Olive and Curve Streets or at Pennsylvania Street (currently Kealing Middle school). This class is composed of mostly female African American students. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124574/
[Anna Duval Bank's Spring Dance Recital]
Photograph of Anna Duval Bank's Spring Dance Recital with a row of five young girls, including Sharon Ward (second from the front) and Elizabeth Ann Curry (third from the front), wearing drummer costumes and sitting on wooden chairs. They are holding drums decorated with cartoon characters on their laps. Champ Howell, a young boy wearing a similar costume, sits at the end of the row. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124166/
[Arc welder at Weigl Iron Works]
Photograph of a member of the Weigl family using an arc welder on a project. The Weigl Iron Works was founded in 1922 by German immigrant and founder Fortunat Weigl. In 1935 Weigl moved his foundry from its Exposition Boulevard location to 100 Red River location where it remained for several decades. He was joined in business by his sons Lee and Herbert who continued to operate after Fortunat's death in 1973 until their retirement in 1977. In 1978, the location was reopened as Iron Works BBQ in honor of the history at that location. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124359/
[Arch construction of the Negro Recreation Building, now Doris Miller Auditorium, in Rosewood Park]
Photograph of the construction of an arch at the Negro Recreation Building, now Doris Miller Auditorium, in Rosewood Park. A man in a fedora sits astride a semi-circular laminated wooden truss, working on joining it at the center. This truss, and two completed trusses in the background are framed against the sky. The trusses are supported by posts, and temporarily joined together with wooden cross braces. The top of a wooden scaffold is visible in the lower right corner of the image. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124740/
[Ariel view of Camp Swift including Headquarters, Post Finance Office, U. S. Post Office and north cantonment area]
Photograph of an aerial view of Camp Swift Headquarters, Finance Building, U. S. Post Office and a portion of the north cantonment area. The long wooden buildings are arranged parallel to each other, with the two-story Headquarters building in the center and the one-story Finance and Post Office buildings to each side. A flag pole with flag is visible in the foreground, and the cantonment area buildings are in the background. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124749/
[Army enlisted men and women in civilian dress pose with leis at the Austin USO Club]
Photograph of a group of soldiers standing on a stage with women at the U.S.O. Club. All are wearing leis, and some of the soldiers wear white t-shirts with their uniform pants. Most of the women are wearing colorful cotton dresses or skirts. One couple is holding a U.S.O. flag. Two soldiers and one woman are standing on a ladder leading up to the stage. The people look like they are participants in a Hawaiian-themed party or show. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124164/
Arts and crafts classes at Pan American Recreation Center
Photograph of children painting papier mache elephants at the Pan American Recreation Center at an arts & crafts class. Two elephants sit on the table, nearly done. An open jar of paint and several towels sit on the table top. Two boys and three girls surround the table. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124627/
Austin About 1839 or 1841.
Photograph of a print in the book "Austin Yesterday and Today". The Daughters of the Republic of Texas own the original artwork. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123885/
[Austin City Administration, 1881]
Photograph of Austin city administration: Standing L to R: J.W. Howard, Treasurer; C.D. Johns, Attorney; Ben Thompson, City Marshall; E.B. Connell, City Clerk; - Sitting L to R: Fred A. Sterzing, City Assessor; Mayor L.M. Crooker; Dr. R.H.L. Bibb, Physician. The city was incorporated in 1836 when Republic of Texas Vice President Mirabeau B. Lamar proposed that the state capital, then located in Houston, be moved to the area that sat just north of the Colorado River in the township then called Waterloo. Shortly thereafter, the city was renamed in honor of Stephen F. Austin. 1881 was the year that Austin public schools first held classes, and the University of Texas opened its doors shortly afterwards in 1883. Austin continued to expand throughout the 1880s and late 19th century. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123860/
[Austin City Plan, 1840]
Photograph of an illustration by Edward Hall of a city plan for the Texas Government buildings in Austin. Architectural renderings of buildings can be found on the top half of the illustration. Handwritten on the photograph is a list of buildings that are seen in the plan including: the President's House, Capitol Hill and Bullock's Tavern. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123887/
[Austin Community Garden near airport]
Photograph of Austin Community Garden looking towards the airport. Rows of plants and a string fence separating rows are visible in the foreground. The airport control tower, airplanes and gates are visible behind the chain-link fence in the background. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124278/
[Austin Dam Broken after Flood]
Photograph of a view southwest at the Austin Dam on the Colorado River after breaking during a flood. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124012/
[Austin Dam Broken after Flood]
Photograph of a view southeast at the Austin Dam on the Colorado River after breaking during a flood. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124011/
Austin High School 9A class of 1920
Photograph of the Austin High School 9A class of 1920 seated outside one of the campus buildings. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124199/
Austin High School 9B Class of 1920
Photograph of the Austin High School 9B class of 1920. The group is posed outdoors with trees visible behind them. There are approximately 90 students. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124198/
Austin High School class of 1907
Photograph of the twenty-four students in the Austin High School class of 1907. Bottom row (left to right): Ernest von Rosenberg, Tom Byrne, Harwood Stacey, Eugene Hill, Offie Leonard. Middle row (left to right): Arthur Crawford, Irene Maddox, Lillian Krohn, Eva von Homeyer, Louise Smith, Elva Powell, Amelia Nelson, Mabel Harrison, William Ruggles. Back row standing (left to right): Harris Brush, Mary Thaxton, Juanita Yarbrough, Leona Dean, Esther Bishop, Anna Maxwell, Josephine McGuire, P.J. Anthony, and William Jackson. Not present: Johanna Runge and Windom Burke. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124194/
Austin High School graduates of 1908
Photograph of the Austin High School graduating class of 1908. Bottom row (left to right): John D. Miller, Ralph Goeth. Middle row (seated left to right): Walter Arlitt, Julius Runge, Robert F. Campbell, M.E. Rogers Jr., Raymond Phelps, Robert Bright, Rufus Waterson. Middle row (standing left to right): Lucy Blocker, Pauline von Rosenberg, Pauline Rex, Katie Clark, Laura Tucker, Janie Tannehill, Inez Slaughter, Salome Anthony, Lomie Layton, Louise Lambie, Cammie Briggs, May Belle Robbins, Lillian Clarke, Nannie von Rosenberg. Back row (standing left to right): Annie F. Campbell, Frankie Cochran, Florence Sears, Lena Rogan, Anna Magee, Agnes Robertson, Edna von Rosenberg, Mabel Maud. Absent: Nettie B. Sullivan (inset bottom right), Rosa Maas, and Preston Reynolds (not pictured). texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124193/
Austin High School Hayne Society, 1920
Photograph of the Hayne Society at Austin High School in the fall/winter of 1920. The club consists of 11 young, male students seated and standing in two rows in front of a wall of shrubbery. Leaves are on the ground. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124200/
Austin High School Mid A. Grade, 1896
Photograph of Austin High School Mid A. Grade class portrait on April 13, 1896. Austin High School opened in 1881. The class consists of 22 young women and five young men seated and standing in front of a school building at 11th Street and Rio Grande Street. There is a broken window behind the woman (Clara Whitteu) on the far left of the group, and a man stands nearly out of frame on the far left. From left to right (first row, seated): Gene Clark, Annie Spence, Mamie Heflybower, Lenora Patterson, Nellie Brown, Haysie Heflybower, Edna Slaughter, Molly Alison, George Decherd; (second row standing and seated): Clara Whitteu, Doree Durfee, LuEmma Raymond, Nan Turner, Kate Mayes, Willie Smith, Gracie Taylor, Laura Hirshfeld, Mary Perry; (last row, seated and standing): Ira Hamilton, Bessie Walsh, Zella Swancoat, Erin Crane, Lula Rose, Scott Key, Ansell Carouth, Will Orr, and Harry Bach. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124189/
Austin High [School] R.O.T.C., 1968
Photograph of Austin High R.O.T.C. in 1968. (This is a portion of a panoramic AR.U.006(235) Panoramic Collection; section 4 of 6). Austin High School opened in 1881 and was the first public high school in Texas. In 1968 the campus was located at 1212 Rio Grande Street. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124188/
[Austin High School Senior Class Picnic at Barton Springs]
Photograph of the 1914 Austin High School senior picnic, showing a group of young men and women standing on stone steps leading down to Barton Springs pool. There is a curved stone wall behind the steps, with a large stone relief star, similar to the Texas seal. The women are dressed in long skirts, and some are wearing hats. The men are wearing light shirts, ties and dark trousers, and some are also wearing hats. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124196/
[Austin High School Student Council]
Photograph of Austin High School 1971 student council members standing L to R: Katie Miller, Vice President; Anna Reyes, Secretary; Charles Riptoe, Treasurer; Seated: Carlton Lowe, President. Stephen F. Austin High School was founded in 1881. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124205/
[Austin High School students read at long tables in the school library, Austin, Texas]
Photograph of students reading at long wooden tables in the school library at Austin High School. They are seated in wooden chairs with vertical back slats. The view is taken through an ornamental wrought iron arch, featuring scrolls, a Texas star and the letters "AHS" at each top corner. The iron work may be attributable to the Weigl Iron Works, a local business known for architectural and decorative iron work. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124202/
[Austin Municipal Airport]
Photograph of the Austin Municipal Airport. A Braniff Airways Inc. airplane is in the center of the photograph. There is a Humble aviation gasoline and lubricants pump in the photograph. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124006/
[Austin Municipal Golf Course - Fairway View]
Photograph of an open fairway at the Austin Municipal Golf Course on Lake Austin Boulevard, with trees and other vegetation framing the grass surface. Unpaved trails lead to the fairway, and a small house is visible in the distance. The designation "#3" appears in the lower right hand corner of the image. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125042/
[Austin park rangers]
Photograph of city of Austin park rangers. Front row (seated) left to right: G. Edward, D. Youngblood, R. Hotte, M. Mullinix. Back Row (standing) left to right: J. McCowin, B. Wright, L. Manley, (unidentified), G. Hooks, and (unidentified). texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124816/
[Austin Public Library]
Photograph of the interior of the public library building located at 819 Congress Avenue on the second floor above the newspaper Pressler and Ziller on March 7, 1933. The library opened at this location on February 16, 1926. Grace Delano Clark served as volunteer librarian. Shortly thereafter, the library moved to its first building on West 9th street and Guadalupe street. "Gossip" written and underlined beneath date on back of photo. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123920/
[Austin Public Library, Carver Branch]
Photograph of the Carver Branch of the Austin Public Library. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123922/
[Austin School Bus with group of students and teachers in front of Austin High School, Austin, Texas]
Photograph of a group of students, teachers and Arthur N. McCallum, superintendent of Austin Public Schools, standing with an Austin School Bus in front of the Austin High School campus at 1202 Rio Grande. McCallum would later have an Austin high school named for him. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124201/
[Austin Skyline]
Photograph of the Austin skyline taken from the top of the Light Plant. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123907/
Austin, "The Friendly City"
Photograph of the Texas State Capitol. The photograph appeared on the front of a card given out by the Austin Chamber of Commerce. The back of the card reads as follows, "This Card Certifies that Geo. A. Newgent representing A. J. Maloney Co is a member in good standing of the Austin Chamber of Commerce". The card is signed by the president and the manager of the Austin Chamber of Commerce and states that it will expire Dec. 31, 1949. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124091/
[Austin, TX]
Photograph of the city of Austin looking northeast from the Calcasieu Lumber Company. The Walter Tips Co. Hardware store can be seen on the north side of the street. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123906/
[Austin, TX]
Photograph of Austin, TX taken from the southeast. US-81 and the Holly St. exit ramp sign are in the photograph. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123912/
[Austin Volunteer Fire Department]
Photograph of the Austin Volunteer Fire Department on parade down Congress Avenue. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123848/
[Austin White Lime Company]
Photograph of the exterior of Austin White Lime Company. There is a man walking in front of the building and there are lime kilns in the background. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124049/
Avoid this in fareway No. 2
Photograph of a man standing to show how deep the sand trap is on fareway number two at Austin Municipal Golf Course. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125032/
[Back view of Blackshear Elementary School, located at 1712 East 11th Street]
Photograph of the back of Blackshear Elementary School, which is located at 1712 East 11th Street and backs onto Lawson Lane and was constructed in 1936. A two story brick building with a flat roof, the school was named for Edward Lavernia Blackshear, a former administrative supervisor of Austin's African-American schools. The building is symetrically designed, with groups of windows on the first and second floors. In the lower right corner of the image, hands hold a chalk board sign that reads, "2-14 5-BLACKSHEAR". There is a wood frame buidling in the background with a 7-Up sign over the entrance. A street sign in the foreground reads Lawson Lane and what appears to be Botson Street. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125086/
[Baptist Church and Capitol Building]
Photograph of the first church building used by the Baptist Church (left) and the 1853 Capitol building (right). texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123983/
[Barton Springs]
Photograph of a crowd of ladies watching two men with large pots on the steps of Barton Springs. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123866/
[Barton Springs]
Photograph of Barton Springs. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123877/
Barton Springs during the First World War
Photograph of men and women in bathing suits at Barton Springs during World War I. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123876/
[Bathers at Barton Springs pool]
Photograph of a large group of bathers in and around the waters of Barton Springs pool. The diving platform is on the right bank. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124566/
[Bathers at Barton Springs Pool]
Photograph of bathers standing and splashing in Barton Springs wading pool near the waterfall. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124419/
[Bathers at Deep Eddy]
Photograph of Deep Eddy swimming pool looking northwest towards the dressing rooms. People swimming, others sitting on the edge of the pool. View from the deep end of the pool. Deep Eddy began as a natural swimming hole in the Colorado River and was expanded into a man-made swimming pool in 1915 by A.J. Eilers, Sr. Deep Eddy pool is the oldest swimming pool in Texas and is operated and maintained by the City of Austin. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124671/
[Beverly S. Sheffield at desk]
Photograph of Beverly Sheffield sitting at his desk. He holds a fountain pen above some papers. Sheffield wears a short-sleeved, button-up shirt and has glasses. A phone sits at his left elbow. His desk sits near a wall with two windows and a radiator. His name plate reads "B. S. Sheffield." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124808/
[Big Foot Wallace's Headstone at State Cemetery]
Photograph of the State Cemetery. Big Foot Wallace's headstone is in the foreground. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123981/
Birds Eye Map of Austin
Birds eye map of Austin showing downtown, the river, and the University of Texas main building. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124693/
[Bouquet toss with bridesmaids and female guests at a wedding at the San Jose Community Center in the Montopolis neighborhood]
Photograph of a group of women, some with outstretched ars, waiting to catch the bouquet thrown by the bride at a wedding at the San Jose Community Center in the Montopolis neighborhood. Some women wear long flowered bridesmaid dresses, three women are dressed in white dresses of a similar design, one wedding guest wears a black jacket trimmed with faux fur, and another guest wears a black checked top and red checked pants. Two little boys stand to the right, looking on. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125008/