You limited your search to:

  Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
 Collection: Austin History Center General Collection Photographs
[Austin City Administration, 1881]
Photograph of Austin city administration: Standing L to R: J.W. Howard, Treasurer; C.D. Johns, Attorney; Ben Thompson, City Marshall; E.B. Connell, City Clerk; - Sitting L to R: Fred A. Sterzing, City Assessor; Mayor L.M. Crooker; Dr. R.H.L. Bibb, Physician. The city was incorporated in 1836 when Republic of Texas Vice President Mirabeau B. Lamar proposed that the state capital, then located in Houston, be moved to the area that sat just north of the Colorado River in the township then called Waterloo. Shortly thereafter, the city was renamed in honor of Stephen F. Austin. 1881 was the year that Austin public schools first held classes, and the University of Texas opened its doors shortly afterwards in 1883. Austin continued to expand throughout the 1880s and late 19th century. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123860/
[Austin City Plan, 1840]
Photograph of an illustration by Edward Hall of a city plan for the Texas Government buildings in Austin. Architectural renderings of buildings can be found on the top half of the illustration. Handwritten on the photograph is a list of buildings that are seen in the plan including: the President's House, Capitol Hill and Bullock's Tavern. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123887/
[Austin Community Garden near airport]
Photograph of Austin Community Garden looking towards the airport. Rows of plants and a string fence separating rows are visible in the foreground. The airport control tower, airplanes and gates are visible behind the chain-link fence in the background. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124278/
[Austin Dam Broken after Flood]
Photograph of a view southwest at the Austin Dam on the Colorado River after breaking during a flood. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124012/
[Austin Dam Broken after Flood]
Photograph of a view southeast at the Austin Dam on the Colorado River after breaking during a flood. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124011/
Austin High School 9A class of 1920
Photograph of the Austin High School 9A class of 1920 seated outside one of the campus buildings. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124199/
Austin High School 9B Class of 1920
Photograph of the Austin High School 9B class of 1920. The group is posed outdoors with trees visible behind them. There are approximately 90 students. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124198/
Austin High School class of 1907
Photograph of the twenty-four students in the Austin High School class of 1907. Bottom row (left to right): Ernest von Rosenberg, Tom Byrne, Harwood Stacey, Eugene Hill, Offie Leonard. Middle row (left to right): Arthur Crawford, Irene Maddox, Lillian Krohn, Eva von Homeyer, Louise Smith, Elva Powell, Amelia Nelson, Mabel Harrison, William Ruggles. Back row standing (left to right): Harris Brush, Mary Thaxton, Juanita Yarbrough, Leona Dean, Esther Bishop, Anna Maxwell, Josephine McGuire, P.J. Anthony, and William Jackson. Not present: Johanna Runge and Windom Burke. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124194/
Austin High School graduates of 1908
Photograph of the Austin High School graduating class of 1908. Bottom row (left to right): John D. Miller, Ralph Goeth. Middle row (seated left to right): Walter Arlitt, Julius Runge, Robert F. Campbell, M.E. Rogers Jr., Raymond Phelps, Robert Bright, Rufus Waterson. Middle row (standing left to right): Lucy Blocker, Pauline von Rosenberg, Pauline Rex, Katie Clark, Laura Tucker, Janie Tannehill, Inez Slaughter, Salome Anthony, Lomie Layton, Louise Lambie, Cammie Briggs, May Belle Robbins, Lillian Clarke, Nannie von Rosenberg. Back row (standing left to right): Annie F. Campbell, Frankie Cochran, Florence Sears, Lena Rogan, Anna Magee, Agnes Robertson, Edna von Rosenberg, Mabel Maud. Absent: Nettie B. Sullivan (inset bottom right), Rosa Maas, and Preston Reynolds (not pictured). texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124193/
Austin High School Hayne Society, 1920
Photograph of the Hayne Society at Austin High School in the fall/winter of 1920. The club consists of 11 young, male students seated and standing in two rows in front of a wall of shrubbery. Leaves are on the ground. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124200/
Austin High School Mid A. Grade, 1896
Photograph of Austin High School Mid A. Grade class portrait on April 13, 1896. Austin High School opened in 1881. The class consists of 22 young women and five young men seated and standing in front of a school building at 11th Street and Rio Grande Street. There is a broken window behind the woman (Clara Whitteu) on the far left of the group, and a man stands nearly out of frame on the far left. From left to right (first row, seated): Gene Clark, Annie Spence, Mamie Heflybower, Lenora Patterson, Nellie Brown, Haysie Heflybower, Edna Slaughter, Molly Alison, George Decherd; (second row standing and seated): Clara Whitteu, Doree Durfee, LuEmma Raymond, Nan Turner, Kate Mayes, Willie Smith, Gracie Taylor, Laura Hirshfeld, Mary Perry; (last row, seated and standing): Ira Hamilton, Bessie Walsh, Zella Swancoat, Erin Crane, Lula Rose, Scott Key, Ansell Carouth, Will Orr, and Harry Bach. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124189/
Austin High [School] R.O.T.C., 1968
Photograph of Austin High R.O.T.C. in 1968. (This is a portion of a panoramic AR.U.006(235) Panoramic Collection; section 4 of 6). Austin High School opened in 1881 and was the first public high school in Texas. In 1968 the campus was located at 1212 Rio Grande Street. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124188/
[Austin High School Senior Class Picnic at Barton Springs]
Photograph of the 1914 Austin High School senior picnic, showing a group of young men and women standing on stone steps leading down to Barton Springs pool. There is a curved stone wall behind the steps, with a large stone relief star, similar to the Texas seal. The women are dressed in long skirts, and some are wearing hats. The men are wearing light shirts, ties and dark trousers, and some are also wearing hats. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124196/
[Austin High School Student Council]
Photograph of Austin High School 1971 student council members standing L to R: Katie Miller, Vice President; Anna Reyes, Secretary; Charles Riptoe, Treasurer; Seated: Carlton Lowe, President. Stephen F. Austin High School was founded in 1881. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124205/
[Austin High School students read at long tables in the school library, Austin, Texas]
Photograph of students reading at long wooden tables in the school library at Austin High School. They are seated in wooden chairs with vertical back slats. The view is taken through an ornamental wrought iron arch, featuring scrolls, a Texas star and the letters "AHS" at each top corner. The iron work may be attributable to the Weigl Iron Works, a local business known for architectural and decorative iron work. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124202/
[Austin Municipal Airport]
Photograph of the Austin Municipal Airport. A Braniff Airways Inc. airplane is in the center of the photograph. There is a Humble aviation gasoline and lubricants pump in the photograph. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124006/
[Austin Municipal Golf Course - Fairway View]
Photograph of an open fairway at the Austin Municipal Golf Course on Lake Austin Boulevard, with trees and other vegetation framing the grass surface. Unpaved trails lead to the fairway, and a small house is visible in the distance. The designation "#3" appears in the lower right hand corner of the image. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125042/
[Austin park rangers]
Photograph of city of Austin park rangers. Front row (seated) left to right: G. Edward, D. Youngblood, R. Hotte, M. Mullinix. Back Row (standing) left to right: J. McCowin, B. Wright, L. Manley, (unidentified), G. Hooks, and (unidentified). texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124816/
[Austin Public Library]
Photograph of the interior of the public library building located at 819 Congress Avenue on the second floor above the newspaper Pressler and Ziller on March 7, 1933. The library opened at this location on February 16, 1926. Grace Delano Clark served as volunteer librarian. Shortly thereafter, the library moved to its first building on West 9th street and Guadalupe street. "Gossip" written and underlined beneath date on back of photo. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123920/
[Austin Public Library, Carver Branch]
Photograph of the Carver Branch of the Austin Public Library. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123922/
[Austin School Bus with group of students and teachers in front of Austin High School, Austin, Texas]
Photograph of a group of students, teachers and Arthur N. McCallum, superintendent of Austin Public Schools, standing with an Austin School Bus in front of the Austin High School campus at 1202 Rio Grande. McCallum would later have an Austin high school named for him. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124201/
[Austin Skyline]
Photograph of the Austin skyline taken from the top of the Light Plant. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123907/
Austin, "The Friendly City"
Photograph of the Texas State Capitol. The photograph appeared on the front of a card given out by the Austin Chamber of Commerce. The back of the card reads as follows, "This Card Certifies that Geo. A. Newgent representing A. J. Maloney Co is a member in good standing of the Austin Chamber of Commerce". The card is signed by the president and the manager of the Austin Chamber of Commerce and states that it will expire Dec. 31, 1949. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124091/
[Austin, TX]
Photograph of the city of Austin looking northeast from the Calcasieu Lumber Company. The Walter Tips Co. Hardware store can be seen on the north side of the street. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123906/
[Austin, TX]
Photograph of Austin, TX taken from the southeast. US-81 and the Holly St. exit ramp sign are in the photograph. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123912/
[Austin Volunteer Fire Department]
Photograph of the Austin Volunteer Fire Department on parade down Congress Avenue. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123848/
[Austin White Lime Company]
Photograph of the exterior of Austin White Lime Company. There is a man walking in front of the building and there are lime kilns in the background. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124049/
Avoid this in fareway No. 2
Photograph of a man standing to show how deep the sand trap is on fareway number two at Austin Municipal Golf Course. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125032/
[Back view of Blackshear Elementary School, located at 1712 East 11th Street]
Photograph of the back of Blackshear Elementary School, which is located at 1712 East 11th Street and backs onto Lawson Lane and was constructed in 1936. A two story brick building with a flat roof, the school was named for Edward Lavernia Blackshear, a former administrative supervisor of Austin's African-American schools. The building is symetrically designed, with groups of windows on the first and second floors. In the lower right corner of the image, hands hold a chalk board sign that reads, "2-14 5-BLACKSHEAR". There is a wood frame buidling in the background with a 7-Up sign over the entrance. A street sign in the foreground reads Lawson Lane and what appears to be Botson Street. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125086/
[Baptist Church and Capitol Building]
Photograph of the first church building used by the Baptist Church (left) and the 1853 Capitol building (right). texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123983/
[Barton Springs]
Photograph of a crowd of ladies watching two men with large pots on the steps of Barton Springs. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123866/
[Barton Springs]
Photograph of Barton Springs. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123877/
Barton Springs during the First World War
Photograph of men and women in bathing suits at Barton Springs during World War I. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123876/
[Bathers at Barton Springs pool]
Photograph of a large group of bathers in and around the waters of Barton Springs pool. The diving platform is on the right bank. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124566/
[Bathers at Barton Springs Pool]
Photograph of bathers standing and splashing in Barton Springs wading pool near the waterfall. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124419/
[Bathers at Deep Eddy]
Photograph of Deep Eddy swimming pool looking northwest towards the dressing rooms. People swimming, others sitting on the edge of the pool. View from the deep end of the pool. Deep Eddy began as a natural swimming hole in the Colorado River and was expanded into a man-made swimming pool in 1915 by A.J. Eilers, Sr. Deep Eddy pool is the oldest swimming pool in Texas and is operated and maintained by the City of Austin. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124671/
[Beverly S. Sheffield at desk]
Photograph of Beverly Sheffield sitting at his desk. He holds a fountain pen above some papers. Sheffield wears a short-sleeved, button-up shirt and has glasses. A phone sits at his left elbow. His desk sits near a wall with two windows and a radiator. His name plate reads "B. S. Sheffield." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124808/
[Big Foot Wallace's Headstone at State Cemetery]
Photograph of the State Cemetery. Big Foot Wallace's headstone is in the foreground. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123981/
Birds Eye Map of Austin
Birds eye map of Austin showing downtown, the river, and the University of Texas main building. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124693/
[Bouquet toss with bridesmaids and female guests at a wedding at the San Jose Community Center in the Montopolis neighborhood]
Photograph of a group of women, some with outstretched ars, waiting to catch the bouquet thrown by the bride at a wedding at the San Jose Community Center in the Montopolis neighborhood. Some women wear long flowered bridesmaid dresses, three women are dressed in white dresses of a similar design, one wedding guest wears a black jacket trimmed with faux fur, and another guest wears a black checked top and red checked pants. Two little boys stand to the right, looking on. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125008/
[Boys making model airplanes at the Pan American Recreation Center in Austin]
Photograph of a group of six Latino youth making balsa-wood airplanes from a Comet brand "Air-Age Educational Kit" at the Pan American Recreation Center (Pan American Community Center), 300 Comal Street, in Austin. The boys are working at two picnic tables placed end-to-end. Several other people, including a girl, two boys, a man and a woman, stand behind the table either observing or assisting. There is a Mexican tourism poster featuring a woman, with her hair in braids, holding a basket of fruit on the wall behind one of the tables. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124810/
[Boys' woodworking class at John T. Allan Junior High School]
Photograph of a boys' woodworking class at the Old Red Campus building of the John T. Allan Junior High School, formerly Stephen F. Austin High School. The room is crowded with work stations, where the boys are engaged in making various projects such as wooden stools and picture frames. The rounded masonry wall has arched windows, covered by translucent roller shades for indirect light. There are frames mounted between the windows displaying various tools and examples of metal work. The exposed wood truss ceiling has several belts and pulleys mounted on it. Examples of finished wooden stools stand on a wooden file case to the left in the photograph. Pictured are: Rufus Watterson, Malcolm Williams, Willie Earnest, Durwell Johnson, Sid Colquitt, Vincent Murray, Windom Burke, Louis Blenderman, Ernest Von Rosenberg, Harry Hafer, Henry Murray, Homer Wedig, ____ Yates, Francis Patton, Henry Paggi, ____ Brady. The teacher is Mr. N. S. Hunsdon. The building was completed in 1900 from the plans of Burt McDonald and James Reily. It was used as Austin High School until 1925, when it became the John T. Allan Junior High School. Classes were held here until 1956, when the school was destroyed by fire. A State of Texas Subject Marker was placed on the site in 1981 by the Texas Historical Commission. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124195/
[Brackenridge Elementary School]
Photograph of Brackenridge Elementary School, located at 319 West Elizabeth Street, a segregated school for Negro children. The building was a one story wooden structure with board and batten exterior walls, 6/6 wood windows, and a plain, square-columned porch entrance. The wooden doors are topped by transom windows. This school for colored children was first listed in the 1909-1910 Austin City Directory, and a school by that name was operating as late as 1965. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124573/
Brick laying crew, West Sixth Street, looking West
Photograph of the railroad crew laying bricks around rail lines on West 6th street looking west. Trolly and telegraph wires cross heavily overhead. A large sign on a building behind the crew reads "Phoenix Saloon / Ice Cold Lager Beer / Wines Liquor." A penciled caption in the lower left reads "Some Texas / sunshine." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125058/
[Bridesmaid and groomsman at wedding reception at the San Jose Community Center, about to kiss]
Photograph of a Hispanic bridesmaid and groomsman at a wedding at the San Jose Community Center in Montopolis. The couple is seated at a table, apparently about to kiss. The bridesmaid is wearing a flowered dress. The groomsman is wearing a tuxedo with a ruffled shirt and a boutonniere tied with a pink ribbon on his lapel. A woman's hand rests on his right forearm at the left of the photograph. A longneck beer bottle and paper cup sit on the table in front of the couple. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125010/
[Bridesmaids, groomsman, and other wedding guests seated at wedding reception at the San Jose Community Center in the Montopolis neighborhood]
Photograph of three bridesmaids wearing flowered dresses and short veils and a groomsman with shoulder-length hair, a moustache, and wearing a black tuxedo with a ruffled shirt, along with other wedding guests seated at wedding reception at the San Jose Community Center in the Montopolis neighborhood of Austin. They sit with other wedding guests around a long, rectangular table. Several disposible paper cups sit on the tablecloth. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125007/
[Bridge over Barton Creek]
Photograph of a bridge over Barton Creek. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123870/
[Building at Austin Memorial Park Cemetery]
Photograph of the exterior of a building at the Austin Memorial Park Cemetery. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123980/
[Buildings on Congress Avenue]
Photograph of a view looking south down Congress Avenue. Among the buildings lining the street are he Austin American and the Von Boeckmann Jones Company. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123960/
[Bullock's Hotel]
Photograph of the Bullock's Hotel on the corner of Congress Avenue and 6th Street. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124480/