You limited your search to:

  Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
 Collection: Austin History Center General Collection Photographs
Governor's Mansion [under snow]

Governor's Mansion [under snow]

Date: 1925
Creator: Ellison Photo Co.
Description: Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion front and north elevations. It has a screen porch with steps. The front lawn is covered in snow. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and continuously occupied since 1856. The mansion here was occupied by first female Texas governor Miriam A. Ferguson in 1925. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a National historic landmark in 1970.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Governor's Mansion view from the old Capitol building]

[Governor's Mansion view from the old Capitol building]

Date: 1874
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion from the site of the old Capitol building looking at the West and north elevations of the Governor's Manstion, grounds, street, barn and picket fence. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1874 was Governor Richard Coke. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Governor's Mansion with fence]

[Governor's Mansion with fence]

Date: 1971
Creator: Horberger, Carl
Description: Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion front elevation, landscaping, and ironwork fence with whitewashed brick wall reading "Governor's Mansion" with an ironwork star in the wall. The shutters are open to the bare tree branches. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1971 was Governor Preston Smith. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Governor's Mansion with screened upper porch

[Governor's Mansion with screened upper porch

Date: January 1, 1939
Creator: Boone Photo
Description: Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion east elevation, showing the walkway with partial planting bed along it. The upper porch is screened, and the entry steps are concrete with iron railings. A stone birdbath is visible at the mansion's northeast corner. A bench is partially visible under an oak on the left. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1939 was Governor W. Lee O'Daniel. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Governor's Mansion with trees]

[Governor's Mansion with trees]

Date: [1930..1959]
Creator: Boone
Description: Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion from northeast looking at the front of the mansion partially obscured by trees. The upper porch is screened. There are leaves strewn on the lawn. The steps on the walkway are flanked by urns and the sidewalk is visible in the foreground. A flag pole is mostly obscured by a tree on the right, but the state flag can be seen reaching above the topmost branches. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Grand Stand at Camp Mabry in Austin, Texas]

[Grand Stand at Camp Mabry in Austin, Texas]

Date: 1897
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the Grand Stand at Camp Mabry in Austin in 1897, crowded with people. In the foreground a man in a suit and hat, carrying an umbrella, and a woman wearing a long white dress and hat, stroll toward the Grand Stand. Other people, some wearing military uniforms, are milling about. The wooden structure had raked seating under a long hipped roof, and one large central second story tower with smaller second story towers at each end. The structure, which served as a reviewing stand for troops, was burned by arson in 1902, and the original specifications exist at the Alexandar Architectural Archives at the University of Texas at Austin.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Green Water Treatment Plant]

[Green Water Treatment Plant]

Date: July 11, 1937
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Laboratory
Description: Photograph of the Green Water Treatment Plant in Austin, TX.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Groomsmen wait to catch the garter at a wedding at the San Jose Community Center in Montopolis]

[Groomsmen wait to catch the garter at a wedding at the San Jose Community Center in Montopolis]

Date: 1970~
Creator: Penzenstadler, Joan
Description: Photograph of several groomsmen wearing black tuxedos and ruffled shirts wait for the garter toss at a wedding at the San Jose Community Center in Montopolis. Two men hold the stretched garter up in the air. A group of women, including two young girls wearing long dresses, look on in the background.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Group of African American women in the Negro War Recreation Council Building]

[Group of African American women in the Negro War Recreation Council Building]

Date: January 6, 1944
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of a group of African American women seated in a reading room at the Negro War Recreation Council Building and bus depot, located in the former city market building at 702-14 East Avenue (now I-35). The group is seated in a "U" shape, facing a woman seated at a the head table. Books, a four-drawer card file, magazines, and a radio line the back wall. On the wall there is a war bond poster which reads: "Don't let that shadow touch them, Buy WAR BONDS", where the "shadow" is in the shape of a swastika and three children cower in its wake. There is a wall-mounted electric fan to the right of the war bond poster, and a fur coat hangs on a coat hook on the left window wall. A hand-made poster on a window at the back reads: "ATTENTION, Have you written a Letter home to-day? Writing facilities may be obtained at the information desk. Books and Magazines are available in the office for SERVICE MEN."
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Group of men on horseback, including Sheriff George S. Matthews, in front of Barnes and Company Grocers store]

[Group of men on horseback, including Sheriff George S. Matthews, in front of Barnes and Company Grocers store]

Date: 1900/1901
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of a group of men on horseback in front of Barnes and Company Grocers, including George S. Matthews, who served as Travis County Sheriff from 1902 to 1920. Prior to that Matthews was a deputy sheriff. The men are wearing suits and hats, and some are wearing sashes and ribbons. Horses and buggies are visible behind the men on horseback, just in front of the store. Two women on the store's front porch are wearing long skirts and large hats. The Barnes and Company grocery was a two-story brick building with a two-story front wooden porch, located at 123 West 7th Street at Colorado Street. The railing on the second porch floor has Maltese crosses and Masonic emblems on alternating metal balusters, and a painted wooden slat sign between the floors has a decorative pierced and pointed detail on the bottom side. The painter of the grocery's sign was Philip Bruckmann. The street in front of the store is dirt.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
Beta Preview