You limited your search to:

  Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
 Collection: Austin History Center General Collection Photographs
Bergstrom Air Force Base [aerial view]

Bergstrom Air Force Base [aerial view]

Date: 19uu
Creator: United States Army Air Forces, Photo Section
Description: Photograph of aerial view of Bergstrom Air Force Base. Fog obscures landscape behind the base. Runways and buildings on the base are visible as well as some roads surrounding the base. Bergstrom Air Force Base was activated during in 1942 as a troop carrier training airfield. During the Cold War, it served as a Strategic Air Command base. Later, it transferred to the Tactical Air Command and became a major base for the U.S. Air Force's RF-4C reconnaissance fighter fleet. At the time of its closure, it was assigned to the Air Combat Command (ACC). The airfield was then converted for civilian use, with Austin-Bergstrom International Airport beginning passenger flights in 1999.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Beverly S. Sheffield at desk]

[Beverly S. Sheffield at desk]

Date: July 29, 1948
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab, Ausin
Description: Photograph of Beverly Sheffield sitting at his desk. He holds a fountain pen above some papers. Sheffield wears a short-sleeved, button-up shirt and has glasses. A phone sits at his left elbow. His desk sits near a wall with two windows and a radiator. His name plate reads "B. S. Sheffield."
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Big Foot Wallace's Headstone at State Cemetery]

[Big Foot Wallace's Headstone at State Cemetery]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the State Cemetery. Big Foot Wallace's headstone is in the foreground.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
Birds Eye Map of Austin

Birds Eye Map of Austin

Date: 1887
Creator: unknown
Description: Birds eye map of Austin showing downtown, the river, and the University of Texas main building.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Bouquet toss with bridesmaids and female guests at a wedding at the San Jose Community Center in the Montopolis neighborhood]

[Bouquet toss with bridesmaids and female guests at a wedding at the San Jose Community Center in the Montopolis neighborhood]

Date: 1970~
Creator: Penzenstadler, Joan
Description: Photograph of a group of women, some with outstretched ars, waiting to catch the bouquet thrown by the bride at a wedding at the San Jose Community Center in the Montopolis neighborhood. Some women wear long flowered bridesmaid dresses, three women are dressed in white dresses of a similar design, one wedding guest wears a black jacket trimmed with faux fur, and another guest wears a black checked top and red checked pants. Two little boys stand to the right, looking on.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Boy Standing in Waller Creek Flood Debris]

[Boy Standing in Waller Creek Flood Debris]

Date: 1915
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of a boy standing among debris of Waller Creek flood.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Boy with Kite]

[Boy with Kite]

Date: 1971
Creator: Austin Citizen
Description: Photograph of a young boy with a kite. His kite has cartoon eyes, and he wears a striped shirt.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Boys making model airplanes at the Pan American Recreation Center in Austin]

[Boys making model airplanes at the Pan American Recreation Center in Austin]

Date: November 19, 1946
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Laboratory, City of Austin
Description: Photograph of a group of six Latino youth making balsa-wood airplanes from a Comet brand "Air-Age Educational Kit" at the Pan American Recreation Center (Pan American Community Center), 300 Comal Street, in Austin. The boys are working at two picnic tables placed end-to-end. Several other people, including a girl, two boys, a man and a woman, stand behind the table either observing or assisting. There is a Mexican tourism poster featuring a woman, with her hair in braids, holding a basket of fruit on the wall behind one of the tables.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Boys' woodworking class at John T. Allan Junior High School]

[Boys' woodworking class at John T. Allan Junior High School]

Date: 1925/1930
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of a boys' woodworking class at the Old Red Campus building of the John T. Allan Junior High School, formerly Stephen F. Austin High School. The room is crowded with work stations, where the boys are engaged in making various projects such as wooden stools and picture frames. The rounded masonry wall has arched windows, covered by translucent roller shades for indirect light. There are frames mounted between the windows displaying various tools and examples of metal work. The exposed wood truss ceiling has several belts and pulleys mounted on it. Examples of finished wooden stools stand on a wooden file case to the left in the photograph. Pictured are: Rufus Watterson, Malcolm Williams, Willie Earnest, Durwell Johnson, Sid Colquitt, Vincent Murray, Windom Burke, Louis Blenderman, Ernest Von Rosenberg, Harry Hafer, Henry Murray, Homer Wedig, ____ Yates, Francis Patton, Henry Paggi, ____ Brady. The teacher is Mr. N. S. Hunsdon. The building was completed in 1900 from the plans of Burt McDonald and James Reily. It was used as Austin High School until 1925, when it became the John T. Allan Junior High School. Classes were held here until 1956, when the school was destroyed by fire. A State ...
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Brackenridge Elementary School]

[Brackenridge Elementary School]

Date: 1920~
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of Brackenridge Elementary School, located at 319 West Elizabeth Street, a segregated school for Negro children. The building was a one story wooden structure with board and batten exterior walls, 6/6 wood windows, and a plain, square-columned porch entrance. The wooden doors are topped by transom windows. This school for colored children was first listed in the 1909-1910 Austin City Directory, and a school by that name was operating as late as 1965.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library