You limited your search to:

  Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
 Resource Type: Photograph
 Decade: 1930-1939
 Language: English
The American Legion Drum and Bugle Corp at their 1933 Convention in Chicago

The American Legion Drum and Bugle Corp at their 1933 Convention in Chicago

Date: October 1933
Creator: unknown
Description: This much-mutilated picture has obviously been pinned to a cork-board. Enough of the legend at its bottom survives to proclaim that the picture commemorates the attendance of the Drum and Bugle Corps of Mineral Wells' Fearis Anderson Post No. 75, at a national convention of the the American Legion, in Chicago, Illinois, on October 2-5, 1933. The photograph was taken, the legend states, compliments of at the Majestic Hotel. Please note: The American Legion provided the following names to accompany the picture: David Burnswick,[sic] Director; Paul Grable, Drum Major; Tommie Burns, Trumpet; James W. Calvert, Trumpet; E.M. Davidson, Trumpet; Lawrence Davis, Trumpet; Sam Goldman, Trumpet; Jack Armstrong, Trumpet; Bob Echols,[sic] Clarinet; (?) Davidson, Clarinet; Lloyd Kendall, Clarinet; Bob Irvine, Clarinet; (?)Brady, Piccolo; Arly (?) Bolfour,[sic] S. Drums, B. Drums; Dan Raeffell,[sic] Bass; W.E. Davis, Bass; Roy Prince, Trombone; Vaughan Davis, Trombone; (?) Trombone; Franz Schubert, Baritone; Alex Pavlovsky, Horn; W. W. Woodward. Horn; George Oliver, Horn; Bill Chancellor, Color Bearer; W.H.H. Smith, Color Bearer; Allan Wallace, Color Guard; George Barber, Color Guard. This band was awarded a state championship three times.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
 Crazy Crystals in Parade 1936

Crazy Crystals in Parade 1936

Date: 1936
Creator: unknown
Description: This photograph shows two vehicles in the Crazy Crystals Parade in 1936. One of the vehicles (a van) is decorated with Crazy Crystals Shipping Boxes. It is covered with streamers on the hood, door handle, the running board, and all the tires--including its spare. The car following it is black with white panels in the doors. It also has streamers on the hood. Apart from the printed legend on the base of the photograph, there is no further information available about this photograph.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[A Crazy Hotel Brochure]

[A Crazy Hotel Brochure]

Date: 1930?
Creator: unknown
Description: This photograph illustrates a fold-out brochure of the Crazy Hotel with various scenic views of things to see and do around the city, along with different modes of transportation to and from Mineral Wells.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[ A Crazy Hotel Pamphlet]

[ A Crazy Hotel Pamphlet]

Date: 1930?
Creator: unknown
Description: None
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Crazy Park Entrance

Crazy Park Entrance

Date: 1938
Creator: unknown
Description: Shown here is the entrance to Crazy Park, Mineral Wells, Texas, a picture taken in 1938. This park was earlier a part of the Gibson Pavilion and Park in the 700 block of NW 2nd Avenue. It was located a block south of the Crazy Water Crystals plant, built in 1919. The property now [2008] belongs to, and is occupied by, the First Christian Church.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Crazy Radio Theatre

Crazy Radio Theatre

Date: 1933?
Creator: unknown
Description: The Crazy Radio Theatre broadcast from the lobby of the Crazy Hotel in Mineral Wells over the Texas Quality Network. (see: A. F. Weaver, "Time Was...") The show's origin is said to be the selling of "Crazy Water Crystals." Identified are Hal Collins (Manager of the Crazy Hotel), Paul, Ludy, Dick, Jake, Slim. [No last names are given.] Please note the early 12-string steel guitar held by Paul.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[Crazy Sign, 1 of 2]

[Crazy Sign, 1 of 2]

Date: 1936?
Creator: unknown
Description: This picture, looking east with the Baker Hotel in the background, of the Crazy Hotel sign was colorized by Mr. A.F. Weaver. The Crazy Sign was constructed in 1933 in the center of Mineral Wells and spanned Hubbard Street (US 180) at its intersection with Oak Avenue It was quite a landmark, as it was one of only two signs allowed by the Texas Department of Transportation to cross a highway maintained by the State. The sign was torn down on December 24, 1958. The urgency of its removal during the Holiday Season was never explained; nor was it ever quite understood by the general public. It was sold for scrap some time later.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
 [Crazy  Sign, 2 of 2]

[Crazy Sign, 2 of 2]

Date: 1933?
Creator: unknown
Description: This picture shows a post-card of the sign. The Crazy sign was constructed in 1933 over East Hubbard Street, (Bankhead Highway--later US Highway 180) in the center of Mineral Wells. It was quite a landmark since it was one of only two signs allowed by by the Texas Department of Transportation to span a highway maintained by the state agency. The sign was torn down on December 24, 1958 (No explanation was offered for the rush to remove it on Christmas Eve.) and it was later salvaged for scrap. Information about it was taken from A.F. Weavers "Time Was...", on page 30.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Crazy Water Bottling Company]

[The Crazy Water Bottling Company]

Date: 1930/1939
Creator: unknown
Description: A note on back of this photograph states, "Crazy Fiz, 1930's." It apparently shows a section of the Crazy Water Bottling Company, where carbonation of the mineral water converted it to a "Crazy Fiz", a product similar to the popular carbonated soft drinks of the day. It was also bottled and packaged for shipment here.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[Crazy Water Company Railroad Cars]

[Crazy Water Company Railroad Cars]

Date: 1930
Creator: unknown
Description: Men are shown here loading boxes of Crazy Crystals onto railroad boxcars. Crazy Water Crystals were shipped nationwide in response to demand created by radio advertising. This scene is typical of the activity required to load boxcars to meet the demand for "instant Mineral Water." Printed on back of the photograph is: "Loading Crazy Crystals 1930."
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
FIRST PREV 1 2 3 NEXT LAST