You limited your search to:

  Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
 Decade: 1960-1969
 Language: English
 Collection: A. F. Weaver Collection
[An Aerial Picture of Downtown Mineral Wells]

[An Aerial Picture of Downtown Mineral Wells]

Date: April 29, 1967
Creator: unknown
Description: An aerial picture of downtown Mineral Wells is shown here. The Baker Hotel (right middle of picture) and the Crazy Hotel (left middle) are included in it. Note: The "Welcome" sign was moved from its original location on the hill behind the Baker Hotel in 1972. It was moved to the east side of Bald Mountain which is due east of the Baker and now called Welcome Mountain, just above and to the right of the Baker Hotel, where it remains today. The Damron Hotel (shown one block this side, west of the Baker, in this picture) burned in 1975, thus dating this photograph to an era between 1972 and 1975.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[An Aerial View of Mineral Wells, Texas]

[An Aerial View of Mineral Wells, Texas]

Date: January 21, 1964
Creator: A. F. Weaver
Description: An aerial view of Mineral Wells, Texas, taken by A. F. Weaver on April 29, 1967 looks North on Oak Avenue. Identifiable in the picture are the Baker Hotel to the middle right of the picture, The Crazy Hotel in the middle left, the old Post Office (now the Ladies Club) one block north of The Baker, and the Nazareth Hospital (one block left of The Crazy Hotel). Also in the picture are now-destroyed buildings: The Damron Hotel (just left of center), the Baker Water Storage Building (mid-upper right, small white building just to right of Baker Hotel), the Oxford Hotel (just right of center, now [2008] Lynch Plaza) and the Convention Hall(upper left).
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[First Christian Church]

[First Christian Church]

Date: July 27, 1964
Creator: A. F. Weaver
Description: Typed on the back photograph is: THIS PHOTOGRAPH TAKEN BY A.F. WEAVER 1901 N. W. 6TH AVE. MINERAL WELLS, TEXAS DATE JUL 27, 1964. It is a view of the limestone church occupying the site of the former Gibson Well Park and Pavilion. Some of the rock used in this church came from owners of the historic Rock Pens on Dillingham Prairie.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[First Christian Church]

[First Christian Church]

Date: July 27, 1964
Creator: A. F. Weaver
Description: On the back of photograph is typed: THIS PHOTOGRAPH TAKEN BY, A. F. WEAVER 1901 N. W. 6TH AVENUE MINERAL WELLS TEXAS DATE JUL 27 1964. First Christian church occupies the site of the former Gibson Well Park and Pavilion in the 700 block of NW 2nd Avenue (the address on the photograph was A.F. Weaver's home.) Some of the limestone used to build the church was donated by latter-day owners of the historic Rock Pens on Dillingham Prairie, where the first meeting of the Northwest Texas Cattle Raisers' Association was held in 1876. Oliver Loving's son, J.C. Loving, wrote a letter to northwest Texas ranchers after the meeting, inviting them to meet the following February in Graham, where the Association was organized. C.C. Slaughter, once the richest man in Texas, owned the Rock Pens at the time of the Stock Raisers' meeting.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
History of Elmhurst Park

History of Elmhurst Park

Date: 1960?
Creator: unknown
Description: Elmhurst Park, on Pollard Creek about one mile-and-a-half of the southwest corner of Oak and Hubbard streets, closed when the trolley from the city to the Park ceased operations in 1913. The City of Mineral Wells received the park property, in a lawsuit concerning the builder of the park, one "Major" Beardsley (q.v. in the description field). A housing project was opened there about the time the nation began mobilizing for World War II, and construction of Fort Wolters began. (At one time, Fort Wolters was the largest Infantry Replacement Training Center in the nation; nearly 500,000 soldiers passed through the Mineral Wells railway depot during the war). The site was returned to the City of Mineral Wells following the war, and made available to veterans and their families. The area is now the site of City Water Treatment and Waste Disposal facilities.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library