You limited your search to:

  Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
 Resource Type: Photograph
 Decade: 1970-1979
 Language: English
[402 SW 5th Street]

[402 SW 5th Street]

Date: June 1974
Creator: unknown
Description: A Victorian home (in Queen Anne style) is shown here at 402 SW 5th Street. Note the one-story tower, the multiple hip roofs and wraparound porch. The columns on the porch suggest a Free Classic sub-type, but other elements of the sub-type appear to be missing. Cut-away bays (common in Queen Anne architecture) are also missing, suggesting that this house had been remodeled sometime in the past.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[612 NW 6th Street]

[612 NW 6th Street]

Date: July 4, 1975
Creator: A. F. Weaver
Description: This photograph of 612 N. W. 6th Street was taken on the Fourth of July, 1975. The house was built in 1905 by W. S. McCutcheon. The house has been owned and occupied from that time to the present time (2006) by Gil Hull. The local parish of the Episcopal Church held meetings in the basement that members lovingly called "the Catacombs." St. Luke's Episcopal Church is located next door on a lot donated by the McCutcheons. The style of the house is tentatively determined to be Neo-classical. It shows evidence of extensive remodeling. An earlier photograph is pictured on page 140 of "Time Was..." by A. F. Weaver.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[915 NW 4th Avenue]

[915 NW 4th Avenue]

Date: April 4, 1976
Creator: A. F. Weaver
Description: The home at 915 NW 4th Avenue was built by Hugh Coleman in 1906. It was the first elegant home built on NW 4th Avenue, and it was designed as an entertainment and social center. The style of the house has been tentatively identified as Italian Renaissance. This house was also home to the John Moore family, and to the family of Gerald Talkington. The photograph of house was taken April 4, 1976. This photograph is to be found on page 183 of "Time Was..." by A. F. Weaver.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Auction of the First Edition of TIME WAS In Mineral Wells]

[The Auction of the First Edition of TIME WAS In Mineral Wells]

Date: August 1975
Creator: unknown
Description: This photograph shows the purchaser who bought the first copy of "Time Was in Mineral Wells", and his wife. Left to right are: Rev. Bobby Moore, auctioneer; Jack Dickens, purchaser; A.F. Weaver, author; Mrs. Jean Dickens. Copy Number One sold for $153.57. (H. Arthur Zappe D.D.S., bought copy Number Two for $45, and Bill Bennett bought copy Number Three for an undisclosed price.)
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Auction of the First Edition of TIME WAS In Mineral Wells]

[The Auction of the First Edition of TIME WAS In Mineral Wells]

Date: August 1975
Creator: unknown
Description: This photograph shows the auction of the first ten copies of "TIME WAS In Mineral Wells", First Edition, 1975. Identified (facing the crowd in front row) are Mrs. Richard Warren (with arms folded); Mrs. A.F. (Patsy) Weaver; A.F. (Art) Weaver, Author; Rev. Bobby Moore, Auctioneer. The auction took place inside the restored "Little Rock School", Mineral Wells' first public school.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[Bill Cameron in Front of Old "Index" Building]

[Bill Cameron in Front of Old "Index" Building]

Date: 1975
Creator: unknown
Description: Bill Cameron stands before the old "Index" Building--on Northwest First Avenue (across from the Crazy Water Building).
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Crazy Hotel]

[The Crazy Hotel]

Date: April 29, 1975
Creator: unknown
Description: This pictures shows the east side of the Crazy Hotel, which opened in 1927, and occupies the entire west side of the 400 block of N. Oak Avenue. The Crazy is now [2008] a retirement home. Across N. Oak Avenue (the main street in the picture) and on the right (east) of the Crazy, is the building (with the Community Aerial Cable Company sign) that once housed Stoker Pontiac. It is now [2008] occupied by Bennett's Office Supply. The Grand Theater (originally the Crazy Theater at 400 N. Oak, and now [2008] The Faith Covenant Church) can be seen at the far end of that block.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Crazy Water Well--1974]

[The Crazy Water Well--1974]

Date: March 24, 1974
Creator: A. F. Weaver
Description: The original Crazy Woman's Well is preserved under the sidewalk at the northwest corner of the Crazy Hotel. This is the well the mentally-challenged (or the once-designated "Crazy woman") drank from that "cured" her dementia. Although not used for years, the well probably only requires a pump to resume production. Printed on the back of this picture is "The Crazy Well as today", and stamped "Mar. 21, 1974."
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Damron Hotel Fire, 1 of 21, Dec. 22, 1975]

[The Damron Hotel Fire, 1 of 21, Dec. 22, 1975]

Date: December 22, 1975
Creator: unknown
Description: A fire destroyed the Damron Hotel, December 22, 1975. The hotel was located at 109 West Hubbard Street, facing north, before the unfortunate conflagration. The fire also destroyed Davidson Hardware, located in the same block.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Damron Hotel Fire, 2 of 21:   View South/Southeast ]

[The Damron Hotel Fire, 2 of 21: View South/Southeast ]

Date: December 22, 1975
Creator: unknown
Description: The Colonial Hotel was built in 1906 by Mr. J. T. Holt for his second wife. Mr. Holt also owned a hardware store on S. Oak at the back of the hotel. The name of the hotel was changed to The Damron Hotel around 1917 when Mr. Holt traded it to Agnew and Bessie Damron in exchange for a ranch. A hardware store, hard by, was sold to Mr. Holt's manager, John Davidson. The Damron Hotel, located at 109 W. Hubbbard Street, along with Davidson Hardware, burned completely on December 22, 1975. Please note the Christmas decoration, symbol of the season, on the telephone pole above the fire truck. The main entrance to the hotel is faintly visible through the dense smoke to the rear of the fire truck. The Crazy Hotel can be seen at the lower left edge of the picture.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
FIRST PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT LAST