You limited your search to:

  Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
 Decade: 1910-1919
 Language: English
The Burro, Yearbook of Mineral Wells High School, 1914

The Burro, Yearbook of Mineral Wells High School, 1914

Date: 1914
Creator: Mineral Wells High School (Mineral Wells, Tex.)
Description: Yearbook for Mineral Wells High School in Mineral Wells, Texas includes photos of and information about the school, student body, teachers, and organizations.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Contributing Partner: Mineral Wells Heritage Association
The Burro, Yearbook of Mineral Wells High School, 1913

The Burro, Yearbook of Mineral Wells High School, 1913

Date: 1913
Creator: Mineral Wells High School (Mineral Wells, Tex.)
Description: Yearbook for Mineral Wells High School in Mineral Wells, Texas includes photos of and information about the school, student body, teachers, and organizations.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Contributing Partner: Mineral Wells Heritage Association
[The Foster Hotel]

[The Foster Hotel]

Date: 1910?
Creator: unknown
Description: This picture depicts a hotel--done in Queen Anne style (Spindle-work subtype). Please note the unusual two-story wraparound porch, also with spindle-work. It appears to have been excerpted from a fragment of advertising copy that gives the name of the building as "The Foster", and extols the owner (Mr. T.J. Foster) as "...an old hotel hand of large acquaintance and wide experience, who has studied the wants and needs of his guests[,] and loses no opportunity of making them comfortable." Polk's Directory for 1910 lists the proprietor of the hotel as F. J. Kowalski. A hand-written note on the edge of the negative (not visible in the picture) states: "NW 1st Ave 6th Street." This address is only approximate. A more accurate address is given in the photograph "The Foster Hotel", also to be found in this collection. Although it is not certain, the clothes of the people shown standing around the hotel strongly suggest that the picture was taken early in the twentieth century. A barely-legible colophon, appearing to read "FONE" appears in the lower left-hand corner.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
 [The Construction of  the Post Office]

[The Construction of the Post Office]

Date: May 3, 1912
Creator: unknown
Description: Written on front of picture is the partial holograph legend: ".ade from the North east ...ner looking Southwest made May the 3rd 1912" It shows the construction of what would eventually be the third Post Office at 201 N.E. 2nd Street. A shear-legs is shown on the extreme left. The workers have clearly stopped work for the taking of the photograph, which is featured in "Time Once Was in Mineral Wells" on page 150. The building now [2014] houses the Women's Club.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Vichy Well and Natatorium]

[The Vichy Well and Natatorium]

Date: 1910?
Creator: unknown
Description: Found on page 66 of A. F. Weaver's book, "TIME WAS In Mineral Wells, Second Edition", the caption for this photograph reads: "First known as the Vichy Well and Natatorium, later the Beach, and then The Standard Well. It was torn down, and the USO was built during World War II (now [2007] the North Oak Community Center)." For the entertainment of visiting "health seekers", the Standard Pavilion offered a swimming pool, skating rink, dance floor with "name band" visiting musicians, amphitheater, playgrounds with band, children's swings with slide, and a flower garden in addition to its drinking pavilion. The building was home to the Mineral Wells Senior Center for a time. Still known as the Community Center, the building has recently [2007] been leased to the Crazy Water Festival Association, and is slated for renovation.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Oak Street, Looking South

Oak Street, Looking South

Date: 1914?
Creator: unknown
Description: This picture shows the 100 block of what is now N. Oak Avenue, looking south. The "Palace Saloon" sign is still visible in 2008. The Palo Pinto County Courthouse Annex currently [2010] occupies the building that once housed Poston's Dry Goods (just down the street from the Palace Saloon). Please note the absence of trolley tracks--or the festoon of wires required to keep its power-line in place. The unpaved street dates the photograph prior to 1914, and probably prior to the previous picture.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Pat-Ike

Pat-Ike

Date: 1917
Creator: unknown
Description: An inscription at the bottom of the photograph reads" Pat--Ike." The "Ike" presumably refers to Ike Zablosky, who came from Russia to Philadelphia in 1890. He and his wife, Fanny Jaffee, later moved to Mineral Wells for health reasons where he became involved in the fur-and-hide business. Zablosky once described the northwest part of Palo Pinto County as a "'Possum kingdom"; hence the first flood-control lake on the Brazos River was named Possum Kingdom Lake. (The story is that it was named that by president Franklin Roosevelt himself.) Zabloski sponsored a local baseball team. He bought a Texas League franchise, after he moved to Dallas, when it became available. It was to become Dallas' first professional baseball team. He pioneered the founding of city farm teams, and acted as umpire and coach. The last name of the "Pat" in the photograph is unknown. He was associated with a team known as the White Sox, which held spring training in Mineral Wells in 1911 and again from 1915-1917. This picture is dated 1917.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Company 1, 4th Texas Infantry

Company 1, 4th Texas Infantry

Date: 1916
Creator: unknown
Description: Typed under this picture is the legend: "FIFTY YEARS AGO -- Co. 1, 4th Texas Infantry, was patrolling the Mexican Border. The company's home base was in Mineral Wells. Later it was called into federal service and designated as Co. 144th Infantry, 36th Division, with combat duty in France on the Meuse-Argonne Campaign and the Argonne Forest. In the picture is the company pet donkey, about to consume a copy of the Daily Index, on the left is Bill Cameron and right is Spencer Heath. The picture was made in Marathon, Texas in 1916." Bill Cameron was employed in various capacities by the "Mineral Wells Index" newspaper for many years. At the time of his death, 1976, he was its business manager. The image of the donkey chewing on the copy of the "Index" is a favorite picture shown in the "Index" to this day [2013]. It remains the subject of raucous humor in Mineral Wells.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Standard Park [and Amusement Park]

Standard Park [and Amusement Park]

Date: 1913?
Creator: unknown
Description: The Trolley goes by Standard Park and Standard Pavilion around 1913. A popular place,the Standard had a swimming pool, amphitheater, dancing and playgrounds. The North Oak Community is now at this location. Information was taken from A.F Weaver's "Time Was" second edition.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
The Health Resort Quarterly, 4 of 4:  Pages 4 and 5

The Health Resort Quarterly, 4 of 4: Pages 4 and 5

Date: October 1915
Creator: unknown
Description: On these pages are seen advertisements for The Fairfield Inn, owner Mrs. Walter H. Boykin; The Oxford Hotel (C. H. Browning is listed as the proprietor) with European and American plans available; and The Davis Well Water and By-Products (Dr. E. A. Davis, is listed as president). The quarterly reports that the Odd Fellow Convention will be held in Mineral Wells in 1916.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
FIRST PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT LAST