You limited your search to:

  Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
 Language: English
[A Bottle-shaped Souvenir Booklet]

[A Bottle-shaped Souvenir Booklet]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Two pages of a souvenir booklet touting the benefits of Mineral Wells, Texas are illustrated here. The shape suggests a bottle of mineral water. Dr. Dan Cupid has abandoned his bow and arrow in favor of mineral water to treat heart conditions. Among his stock of waters prescribed are bottles from the Crazy, Carlsbad, Gibson, and Lamar Wells. There are other pages of this booklet elsewhere in this collection. They could perhaps be placed together in a file at some time in the future.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[Games at Elmhurst Park]

[Games at Elmhurst Park]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: A girls' basketball game is being played at Elmhurst Park, around 1910. Ladies in the picture are wearing ladies' basketball uniforms of the day. Ladies at the time played on a half-court, and the game was strictly a no-contact sport. The game was re-started with a jump ball after each score, tie-ball, or infraction of the rules. There were six players on each "side", three "offense", and three defenders. This picture may be found on page 89 of "Time Was in Mineral Wells...", Second Edition, by A. F. Weaver.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Rock School Bell]

[The Rock School Bell]

Date: unknown
Creator: A. F. Weaver
Description: The "Little Rock School" was Mineral Wells' first public school, built in 1884. The school bell, mounted in a bell tower atop the building, called students to class by ringing 10 minutes before school time; and again at the beginning of the class period. It is now currently on display at the Little Rock School Museum, dedicated to preserving the history of Mineral Wells. This picture is found on page 172 of A. F. Weaver's book "TIME WAS In Mineral Wells", First Edition, with a notation: "The original bell for the old 'Rock School' was found years later in the water department warehouse. R. L. (Pete) Cook is on the left and Derrell Stricklin is on the right."
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
The Welcome Sign on East Mountain, Mineral Wells, Texas

The Welcome Sign on East Mountain, Mineral Wells, Texas

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: This picture is taken from a postcard claiming that the "Welcome" sign on East Mountain is "reputed to be the largest non-commercial electric sign in U.S." It has been claimed that the "Hollywood" sign was inspired by the "Welcome" sign, but this is likely a folk legend. (The preceding picture is a black and white original of this tinted picture. A more complete description may be found there.)
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Junior Class, 1913

Junior Class, 1913

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: A photograph of the Junior Class of 1913 is illustrated here. Please observe that two of the men in the front row are wearing soft collars, which was just becoming fashion at the time. The only person identified is Miss David Gladys Galbraith (named after her father, owner of the Hexagon Hotel) in the middle row, 3rd from the right. Identifications of the other people would be welcomed. The Junior class of 1913 would have been the last graduating class from the East Ward School in 1914. Mineral Wells' High School opened that following year, 1915.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[A Corner of N.W. 1st Avenue and 9th Street]

[A Corner of N.W. 1st Avenue and 9th Street]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: This picture may be found on page 138 of "Time Was..." by A. F. Weaver. The caption says, "George P. Barber residence, built in 1907 at the corner of NW 1st Avenue and 9th Street..." Dr. Barber, an early Doctor and financier in the city, joined with George W. Slaughter to donate land for Elmwood Cemetery. He established Barber's Addition (a housing development) in the north part of the City, and built a small lake for the City's first municipal water supply. The legend on the poster attached to the tree in front of the house begins, "Free Mineral Water." The rest of the sign remains obscure.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Thompson-Cunningham Home

Thompson-Cunningham Home

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: This picture is, apparently, a page distributed during a 1975 "Tour of Homes." It is best viewed and read when enlarged on the computer screen. The picture is a copy of the one used on page 141 of "Time Was..." by A. F. Weaver. This house, at 215 NE 2nd Street, is Queen Anne style, spindle work subtype. It was restored in 2006 by Bill Pratt, Jr.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Street Car to Elmhurst Park]

[The Street Car to Elmhurst Park]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Mineral Wells residents and visitors could ride a streetcar (until 1913, when it was discontinued) out of town to Elmhurst Park. The streetcar in the picture had come to the park by way of North Oak Street. After a ride from town, the passengers could walk across the swinging bridge which spanned Pollard Creek to enter Elmhurst Park. This photograph is to be found on page 86 of "Time Was..." (Second Edition), by A. F. Weaver.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Pasadena Heights

Pasadena Heights

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: A July, 1906 plat of "Pasadena Heights, the Home Builders Addition to Mineral Wells, Texas." Developers of the addition were D. M. Howard, (Co-owner of Mineral Wells' first big department store, Howard Brothers), B. R. Strong, and Frank Richards (manager of the Star Well and owner of an early mineral water crystal plant). Street names were changed in 1912. This area came to be facetiously called "Jackass Flats" by locals. The Brazos Mall is currently [2008] located at the bottom of the plat, Wal-Mart, to the east of the plat. Elmwood Cemetery is at the southwest edge of the plat.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[A Photocopy of the Mineral Wells "Index"]

[A Photocopy of the Mineral Wells "Index"]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Shown here is a photocopy of a page from the Mineral Wells "Index." No date is shown. The only legibly complete articles concern the Buck Head Bath House and Pavilion, and the Wagley Bath House and Annex.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library