You limited your search to:

  Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
 Language: English
[Oden's Drive Inn]

[Oden's Drive Inn]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: This restaurant and grocery store was once located at 3403 Highway 280 east in Mineral Wells. It is no longer [2012] in existence. The photograph shows 1940's and 1950's cars parked in front. The Odens resided above the business.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
The  Howard Building

The Howard Building

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Shown here is the D. M. Howard Building, once located on 101 Southeast 1st Avenue. It was later the J.M. Belcher Furniture Store, and then again the R. & W. Furniture. The building was torn down March 17, 1975 to make room for the Mineral Wells Savings & Loan building, and for a parking lot to serve it. A Piggly-Wiggly grocery store was built to the right. The picture is featured in "Time Was in Mineral Wells" on page 123.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[Fred Estrada, Street Vendor]

[Fred Estrada, Street Vendor]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Fred Estrada sold hot tamales near the corner of Oak & Hubbard (and in front of what is now [2009] the Mineral Wells Office Supplies) for 75 cents a dozen. He met his end when an automobile ran him over in the mid-1960's. This picture is featured in "Time Was in Mineral Wells on" page 182.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Mineral Wells Drug Store

Mineral Wells Drug Store

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: The Mineral Wells Drug was located at 110 N. Mesquite Avenue about 1910. Charles Pollard was the manager. The date of this picture is unknown, but it is conjectured (from the dress of the people pictured) to have been taken in the early twentieth century. Please note the scant electric lighting. Also note the (working?) brass spittoon in front of the cigar display. Customers, presumably having a light meal, are located in the far back.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Baker Hotel-Mineral Wells, Texas

Baker Hotel-Mineral Wells, Texas

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: A panorama View of the Baker Hotel with all the surrounding buildings is shown here. Note: The general appearance of the city surrounding the hotel suggests strongly that this picture was heavily edited. Perhaps it was taken from a postcard.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Firstron Building After a Fire]

[The Firstron Building After a Fire]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: The Firstron Building occupied the site of the Oxford Hotel (which burned down)and was itself replaced by the First National Bank (which moved away). The building burned in 1983. Lynch Plaza now [2012] occupies the site. The sign in front of the remains of the Firstron Building reads: Firstron Building OFFICE SPACE FOR RENT 325-4461 ROOM 300 It invites ironic comment. This picture appears in "Time Was in Mineral Wells", Second Edition, on page 186.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Old Post Office]

[The Old Post Office]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: This picture shows what is now [2101] known as "The Old Post Office Building." A horse, dragging a cart, is seen drinking out of a trough in front of it. The trough is now [2010]located in the Mineral Wells Commons park. The whereabouts of horse is unknown. The building now [2010] houses the Women's club. The picture is featured in "Time Was in Mineral Wells" on page 188.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
North Oak U. S. O.

North Oak U. S. O.

Date: August 7, 2008
Creator: unknown
Description: This building was erected during World War II as a USO. Many Hollywood stars performed there for the troops during the war. It is now [2009] the North Oak Community Center.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[A Window  in the "Texas Carlsbad Water"]

[A Window in the "Texas Carlsbad Water"]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: This photograph illustrates one of the painted-glass windows that was installed around 1915 at the Texas Carlsbad Water. It shows a bottle of "#3", extolling its efficacy against "Stomach and Liver Disorders. The Texas Carlsbad Water no longer [in 2012] exists. The picture occurs in A.F. Weaver's "TIME WAS in Mineral Wells...." on page 63.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Smith Memorial at Elmwood Cemetery]

[The Smith Memorial at Elmwood Cemetery]

Date: April 4, 1974
Creator: unknown
Description: This is a picture of a monument that is to be found in the Elmwood Cemetery. Two Confederate soldiers with rifles (who presumably never went to war) stand at the top of a scrolled pediment that bears the number "32" amidst foliage. Beneath it are crossed sabres. At the very bottom. under the name "Smith", is the motto: "Charity and Humanity Our Religion" in raised letters. This monument may be the grave of the Cicero Smith family. He was the President of Lake View Scenic Railway, also known as the Dinkey Cars.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library