You limited your search to:

  Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
 Language: English
[Parade at Highways 180 and 281 in Mineral Wells]

[Parade at Highways 180 and 281 in Mineral Wells]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: The bi-centennial parade, 1976 is shown here in progress. A covered wagon, horses, riders, and parade float are visible in the background. The view is taken from the corner of westbound Hubbard Street, (US Highway 180) at Oak Avenue, (US Highway 281.)
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[A Parade in 1925]

[A Parade in 1925]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: A military contingent of the 1925 West Texas Chamber of Commerce Parade in Mineral Wells is shown here. The parade is proceeding west in the 100 block of NE 2nd Street. Please note the Mineral Wells Sanatorium in the upper right of the photograph just east of the old Post Office. Please note also the double line of angle-parked automobiles on the street.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[A Parade in 1925]

[A Parade in 1925]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: A parade took placed during the West Texas Chamber of Commerce's convention of 1925. The parade is moving west on NE 2nd Street. The Whatley-Maddox Ford-Lincoln Motor Company (festooned with bunting)is shown on the corner with the U.S. Post Office across the street. East of the Post Office is the Mineral Wells Sanatorium.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[A Parade in Mineral Wells on North Oak Avenue]

[A Parade in Mineral Wells on North Oak Avenue]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: The Chamber of Commerce float, with the Parade Princess, greets visitors in the 1936 Centennial Parade in Mineral Wells,Texas. It is shown proceeding along the 200 block of North Oak Avenue. Businesses in photograph include, (bunting-festooned) Perry Brothers 5-10-and 25-cent store, City Bakery, and (to the left) part of Duke & Ayers 5-& 10-cent store. Angle-parked automobiles and spectators line the street.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[A Parade of Automobiles]

[A Parade of Automobiles]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: A parade of decorated automobiles is shown crossing the intersection at North Oak and NE 2nd Streets,as seen from the west. A sign for Lovera Cigars is visible on the front of the Crazy Drug Company (the gray building at right middle of the picture.) The large white building in the left center back-ground is the Presbyterian Church.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[A Parade With a Rotary Club float]

[A Parade With a Rotary Club float]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: The Rotary Club float in Mineral Wells' 1976 Bi-Centennial Parade featured riders, in clothes typifying the period, that represent a "Roaring Twenties" golfer dancing with "Flapper Fannies."
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[Partial Minutes: Mineral Wells Bicentennial Committee, November 18, 1975]

[Partial Minutes: Mineral Wells Bicentennial Committee, November 18, 1975]

Date: November 1975
Creator: unknown
Description: First page of the minutes of the Mineral Wells Bicentennial Committee, held in the old Nazareth Hospital in 1975. It includes a list of attendees and a summary of some of the discussion points.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[A party at the Wann home]

[A party at the Wann home]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: A photograph of a news article describing a party given by Mrs. Chloe Schillings at her home, located on NW 2nd Street and 4th Avenue--across the street and west of the Presbyterian Church--is shown here. The party included Mrs. M. R. Birdwell, Mrs. S. A. Prostridge, Mrs. B. R. Beeler, Mrs. R. L. Yeager, Mrs. Elizabeth Cushman, Mrs. J. E. Johnson, Mrs. Gus Wicklund, Mrs. Millie Turner, Mrs. Mitchell, Mrs. Thomas, Mrs. Mae B. Tiliord, Mrs. E. W. Rogers, Mrs, Vera Lang, Mrs. Ed Oliver, Mrs. F. C. Highsmith and Mrs. Chloe Wann Schillings At the time of the news article, the home, a large Queen Anne-style house, was said to be owned by Mrs. S. H. Smith.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Pasadena Heights

Pasadena Heights

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: A July, 1906 plat of "Pasadena Heights, the Home Builders Addition to Mineral Wells, Texas"is illustrated here. Developers of the addition were D. M. Howard, (Co-owner of Mineral Wells' first big department store, Howard Brothers), B. R. Strong, and Frank Richards (manager of the Star Well and owner of an early mineral water crystal plant). Street names were changed in 1912. This area came to be facetiously called "Jackass Flats" by locals. The Brazos Mall is currently [2008] located at the bottom of the plat, Wal-Mart, to the east of the plat. Elmwood Cemetery is at the southwest edge of the plat.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Pat-Ike

Pat-Ike

Date: 1917
Creator: unknown
Description: An inscription at the bottom of the photograph reads "Pat--Ike." The "Ike" presumably refers to Ike Zablosky, who came from Russia to Philadelphia in 1890. He and his wife, Fanny Jaffee, later moved to Mineral Wells for health reasons where he became involved in the fur-and-hide business. Zablosky once described the northwest part of Palo Pinto County as a "'Possum kingdom"; hence the first flood-control lake on the Brazos River was named Possum Kingdom Lake. (The story is that it was named that by president Franklin Roosevelt himself.) Zabloski sponsored a local baseball team. He bought a Texas League franchise, when it became available, after he moved to Dallas. It was to become Dallas' first professional baseball team. He pioneered the founding of city farm teams, and acted as umpire and coach. The last name of the "Pat" in the photograph is unknown. He was associated with a team known as the White Sox, which held spring training in Mineral Wells in 1911 and again from 1915-1917. This picture is dated 1917.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library