You limited your search to:

  Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
 Language: English
[An Aerial Picture of Downtown Mineral Wells]

[An Aerial Picture of Downtown Mineral Wells]

Date: April 29, 1967
Creator: unknown
Description: An aerial picture of downtown Mineral Wells is shown here. The Baker Hotel (right middle of picture) and the Crazy Hotel (left middle) are included in it. Note: The "Welcome" sign was moved from its original location on the hill behind the Baker Hotel in 1972. It was moved to the east side of Bald Mountain which is due east of the Baker and now called Welcome Mountain, just above and to the right of the Baker Hotel, where it remains today. The Damron Hotel (shown one block this side, west of the Baker, in this picture) burned in 1975, thus dating this photograph to an era between 1972 and 1975.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Aerial View of Camp Wolters, Texas

Aerial View of Camp Wolters, Texas

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: An aerial view of Camp Wolters is shown here, looking north. The main gate is just outside of the lowermost center of picture. Expansion of Camp Wolters began in 1939 as the nation prepared for World War II. This became the largest Infantry Replacement Training Center in the U.S. in the early part of the war. Nearly 500,000 troops went through the Railway Station in Mineral Wells during World War II. The base was also used for troop training during the Korean Police Action. Some 90% of the helicopter pilots during the Vietnam War received all or part of their pilot training here; and during this time, the name was changed from Camp Wolters to Fort Wolters. The Fort was decommissioned following the Viet Nam War, and is now the Mineral Wells Industrial Park, with several large manufacturing and service companies located in it. There is also the campus of a local branch of Weatherford College, and a pre-release facility for State Department of Corrections prisoners operated by Corrections Corporation of America. (This facility is in the group of former barracks shown in the far right of the picture.)
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[An Aerial View of Downtown Mineral Wells in 1954]

[An Aerial View of Downtown Mineral Wells in 1954]

Date: 1954
Creator: unknown
Description: This is a picture of an aerial view of downtown Mineral Wells (taken from the Ft. Worth Star-Telegram, January 1954)at about South Oak Avenue, and looking north-northeast. Some of the buildings identifiable in the picture no longer exist. The Damron Hotel, at the middle left of the picture, burned in 1975. The Oxford Hotel/First National Bank building, one block east [right] of the Damron, near the center of the picture, burned in 1983. It has been replaced by Lynch Plaza. The Hexagon Hotel, in the upper left corner of the picture, (north and above the Crazy) was demolished in 1959. The Convention Center behind the Hexagon was demolished in 1976. Landmarks still standing are: The 13-story (including a Roof Garden) Baker Hotel, dominating the upper right of the picture; The Crazy Hotel (now a retirement home) at the upper left of the picture; and the old Post Office in the upper middle of the picture (between the Baker and Crazy Hotels), which is now the Woman's Club. The building across the street and to the south (this side of the Baker) was demolished to make room for the Mineral Wells Savings and Loan, which in turn was replaced by The ...
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[An Aerial View of Early Mineral Wells]

[An Aerial View of Early Mineral Wells]

Date: unknown
Creator: A. F. Weaver
Description: Two very early panoramic views of Mineral Wells are shown here, one of them, the UPPER PICTURE, being the north-west Business District of the city looking southwest. Note the horse-drawn transportation in the streets, and Poston's Dry Goods store in the upper middle. In the LOWER PICTURE looking northwest, a livery stable shows in the lower left corner; the Hawthorn Water Pavilion (with spire) is shown in the left middle above and right of the livery stable barn; the Crazy Drinking Pavilion is the large two-story building at upper middle of lower photograph; and the Hexagon Hotel is near the skyline at the upper right.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[An Aerial View of Mineral Wells]

[An Aerial View of Mineral Wells]

Date: unknown
Creator: A. F. Weaver
Description: This picture shows an aerial view of Mineral Wells, Texas, looking northwest. Identified buildings include the Baker Hotel (center), the Hexagon Hotel (right, north of Baker), the Convention Hall (next to and right of the Hexagon), the Box Factory (formerly the Crazy Water Crystal plant, left and west of the Hexagon Hotel), the First Methodist Church (across street right and northeast of Baker), the Baker Parking Garage (across the street, south of and immediately in front of the Hotel in this picture), and the Baker Water Works (extreme right middle, up the slope of East Mountain.)
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[An Aerial View of Mineral Wells]

[An Aerial View of Mineral Wells]

Date: unknown
Creator: A. F. Weaver
Description: Illustrated here is an aerial view of Mineral Wells from the east looking west. The Parkwood apartments and the brick factory are in the background. The Sands Motel is in the bottom part of the picture, and East Hubbard Street (Highway US 180) is in the far lower left corner of the picture. The large vacant area was later developed, with Lakewell House Retirement Home built near the middle of it.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[An Aerial View of Mineral Wells, Texas]

[An Aerial View of Mineral Wells, Texas]

Date: January 21, 1964
Creator: A. F. Weaver
Description: An aerial view of Mineral Wells, Texas, taken by A. F. Weaver on April 29, 1967 looks North on Oak Avenue. Identifiable in the picture are the Baker Hotel to the middle right of the picture, The Crazy Hotel in the middle left, the old Post Office (now the Ladies Club) one block north of The Baker, and the Nazareth Hospital (one block left of The Crazy Hotel). Also in the picture are now-destroyed buildings: The Damron Hotel (just left of center), the Baker Water Storage Building (mid-upper right, small white building just to right of Baker Hotel), the Oxford Hotel (just right of center, now [2008] Lynch Plaza) and the Convention Hall(upper left).
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Air Masses

Air Masses

Date: February 1971
Creator: Snyder, Henry W.
Description: This booklet gives an overview of air masses as they relate to aviation. According to the scope notes on the title page, it includes an "Explanation of the classification of air masses; weather associated with particular air masses; [and the] trajectory and source region of air masses that invade the United States." The text also has self-evaluation questions printed throughout, with the answers printed on the last page.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
The American Legion Drum and Bugle Corp at their 1933 Convention in Chicago

The American Legion Drum and Bugle Corp at their 1933 Convention in Chicago

Date: October 1933
Creator: unknown
Description: This much-mutilated picture has obviously been pinned to a cork-board. Enough of the legend at its bottom survives to proclaim that the picture commemorates the attendance of the Drum and Bugle Corps of Mineral Wells' Fearis Anderson Post No. 75, at a national convention of the the American Legion, in Chicago, Illinois, on October 2-5, 1933. The photograph was taken, the legend states, compliments of at the Majestic Hotel. Please note: The American Legion provided the following names to accompany the picture: David Burnswick,[sic] Director; Paul Grable, Drum Major; Tommie Burns, Trumpet; James W. Calvert, Trumpet; E.M. Davidson, Trumpet; Lawrence Davis, Trumpet; Sam Goldman, Trumpet; Jack Armstrong, Trumpet; Bob Echols,[sic] Clarinet; (?) Davidson, Clarinet; Lloyd Kendall, Clarinet; Bob Irvine, Clarinet; (?)Brady, Piccolo; Arly (?) Bolfour,[sic] S. Drums, B. Drums; Dan Raeffell,[sic] Bass; W.E. Davis, Bass; Roy Prince, Trombone; Vaughan Davis, Trombone; (?) Trombone; Franz Schubert, Baritone; Alex Pavlovsky, Horn; W. W. Woodward. Horn; George Oliver, Horn; Bill Chancellor, Color Bearer; W.H.H. Smith, Color Bearer; Allan Wallace, Color Guard; George Barber, Color Guard. This band was awarded a state championship three times.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Arch]  "Welcome Ye Editors"

[The Arch] "Welcome Ye Editors"

Date: 1908
Creator: unknown
Description: This picture of the arch, erected to welcome the members of the Texas Press Association (who held a meeting in the nearby Chautauqua auditorium--visible in the background) was taken from East Hubbard Street, looking North on Mesquite Street. The year is 1908. The Texas Press Association held its meeting on May 26. Notice the Ben Hur tracks (1905-1909) in the foreground. The Chautauqua hall was demolished in 1912. A note with the photograph states "The group of people were attending the Odd Fellows Convention and/or Press Convention". The note also states that "Bill Cameron [presumably the boy seated on the arch at the extreme left, and holding a sheet of paper--not an apron--with the word "WELCOME" barely legible at its head] has an Odd Fellows Apron on." Please note: Bill Cameron was a long-time editor of the Mineral Wells "Index."
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library