You limited your search to:

  Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
 Language: English
Baker Hotel-Mineral Wells, Texas

Baker Hotel-Mineral Wells, Texas

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: A panorama View of the Baker Hotel with all the surrounding buildings is shown here. Note: The general appearance of the city surrounding the hotel suggests strongly that this picture was heavily edited. Perhaps it was taken from a postcard.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Bank of Mineral Wells

Bank of Mineral Wells

Date: 1924?
Creator: unknown
Description: This picture is an undated photograph that appears to have been published in the Mineral Wells Index. It also appears on page 148 of A.F. Weaver's book "TIME WAS In Mineral Wells." The caption reads, "Palo Pinto County Boys' and Girls' Poultry Clubs and the Junior Rotary Band received pure-bred eggs distributed free by the Bank of Mineral Wells. Note the bank has had an addition to its south side." The caption on an earlier picture of the bank states, "D. M. Howard and R. B. Preston opened the first bank in the City, The Bank of Mineral Wells, located at 102 SE 1st Avenue." In a companion picture on p. 148, "TIME WAS ... ", the caption reads,"The Bank of Mineral Wells went broke in 1924. The building was then used by Ball Drug and Massengale's Appliances. The building was torn down to make room for parking in the downtown area." (The City Directory of 1924 lists the bank's location at 102 SE 1st. Avenue. There is no listing of it in the 1927 City Directory.)
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
The Bank of Mineral Wells

The Bank of Mineral Wells

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: The Bank of Mineral Wells, the first of its kind, was located at 102 SE 1st Avenue. The quality of this picture is parlous: The upper story of the building appears to have been heavily retouched by an unknown hand.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[Baum-Carlock-Bumgardner Funeral Home Burial Records]

[Baum-Carlock-Bumgardner Funeral Home Burial Records]

Date: unknown
Creator: Stilwell, Verna M.
Description: Report containing information pertaining to dead of Mineral Wells, Texas. This includes names, birth dates, dates of death, relations, and location of burial site.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[Baum-Carlock-Bumgardner Funeral Home Burial Records]

[Baum-Carlock-Bumgardner Funeral Home Burial Records]

Date: unknown
Creator: Stilwell, Verna M.
Description: Report containing information pertaining to dead of Mineral Wells, Texas. This includes names, birth dates, dates of death, relations, and location of burial site.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
The "Ben Hur"

The "Ben Hur"

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: The "Ben Hur" motor car is shown on Mesquite Street (the 200 block of NE 1st Avenue), Mineral Wells, Texas. This new and larger gasoline-powered car joined two "Dinky Cars" (Esther and Susie--named for the daughters of the railroad's co-owner, banker Cicero Smith) on the Mineral Wells Lakewood Park and Scenic Railway in 1908. The railway ceased operation in 1909, a year after the larger car was added to the fleet. Mineral Wells was probably one of the few cities in the United States which had gasoline-powered street cars. One of the boys shown standing beside it is Mr. Whatley of automobile fame. This photograph is shown on page 74 of "TIME WAS In Mineral Wells", Second Edition. The Scenic Railway, on which the "Dinky Cars" operated, was owned by banker Cicero Smith; and Ed Dismuke, owner of the Famous Water Company. It carried passengers every quarter-hour from Mineral Wells around the south flank of West Mountain to the recreation area of Lake Pinto. A 'round trip fare was fifteen cents. Dismuke's Famous Mineral Water wells were located around Lake Pinto, and water was pumped over the mountain to the Famous Water Company and its drinking pavilion. The building on ...
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
The Bethesda Bath House

The Bethesda Bath House

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: This is a photograph of the Bethesda Bath House was formerly located 406 N. Oak, with the top of the front of Chautauqua (to the northeast of the bath house) visible over the top of the roof's gable at the left side of the building. The Bethesda Bath House apparently contained the office of Dr. G. W. Hubbard. Bathing in the mineral waters was considered a health treatment, and was recommended by local doctors. There is a structure seen behind the bath house in the lower right quadrant of the photograph. This may have been the doctor's residence.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Bicentennial Parade in Mineral Wells]

[The Bicentennial Parade in Mineral Wells]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: The Rotary Club featured a float during "Time Was" Bicentennial (celebrating the United States Bi-Centennial) parade in downtown Mineral Wells, on April 4, 1976. It is moving south on Oak Avenue at the intersection of Oak and Hubbard Streets. Riders on the float depict "flappers" and a golfer of the "Roaring Twenties", dancing to jazz music.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Bicentennial Parade in Mineral Wells]

[The Bicentennial Parade in Mineral Wells]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: A float that appeared, among others, in the "Time was" Bicentennial parade, held on April 4, 1976. It depicts former mineral-water drinking spots in Mineral Wells. Ladies on the float represent customers at some of Mineral Wells' more popular one-time Spas. The wells depicted are: Lynch's discovery-well, the Crazy (Mineral Wells' third and namesake water well), the Gibson Well, the Carlsbad Well, and the Hawthorn Well.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Bicentennial Parade in Mineral Wells]

[The Bicentennial Parade in Mineral Wells]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: A float, with women dressed in period clothing, appeared in the April 4, 1976 "Time Was" Bicentennial Parade (commemorating the United States Bicentennial). The float commemorates several historical mineral-water drinking pavilions in Mineral Wells, including the Lithia, the Gibson, Lynch's mineral well, the Carlsbad, the Crazy, and the Hawthorne.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library