You limited your search to:

  Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
 Language: English
Mineral Wells Yesterday And Today

Mineral Wells Yesterday And Today

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: The caption to this picture indicates that there are two of them, taken from a common vantage point. This photograph dates from June, 1895, and it was taken from under the original Welcome sign. The view is to the southwest. The Methodist Church (the large white church with steeple) is in the foreground near the lower left corner. Above it, and slightly to its right (near the left edge and middle foreground), is an old two-story stone building which was occupied by the Bank of Mineral Wells. The second photograph, of Mineral Wells in a later time, is unfortunately not provided.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[A Mini-Park]

[A Mini-Park]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: The women of Mineral Wells beautified the town by planting vacant lots. This "Mini-park" was located in the 200 block of Hubbard Street, and is now [2008]a parking lot adjacent to Murray's Grill.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[A Minstrel Show Program]

[A Minstrel Show Program]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: None
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Mr. Lynch On His Way to Discover Mineral Wells

Mr. Lynch On His Way to Discover Mineral Wells

Date: October 16, 2006
Creator: unknown
Description: This picture is a photograph of a cartoon. See also "Opening of the First Season at Mineral Wells" and "The First Well Was Dug Here in 1877." Please note the centipede, illustrated along with other forms of wildlife. Also, please note the Indians, who appear to be friendly. A.F. Weaver took this cartoon from a jocular booklet titled "Inside Story About the Waters" (q.v.) that is in the Palo Pinto County Album collection (q.v.) It is written in the nineteenth-century burlesque style, and need not be taken seriously.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[Mrs. Yokley Entertained the "Aid"]

[Mrs. Yokley Entertained the "Aid"]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: A group of people sit and stand on the elaborately-decorated porch of a house. Written on the back are the following notes: Mrs. Yokley entertaining the "Aid." Standing - Mrs. Mollie Yokley, Mrs. John Beetham, Mrs. M. E. Paren (mother of Mrs. Bock), Mrs. M. Raines (mother of Mrs. McCracken), Mrs. Lock (a neighbor), Mrs. Veal and Nila, Mrs. J. H. McCracken. Sitting - Mrs. Provine, Mrs. Schneider, Mrs. Galbraith and Ann Lock, Mrs. Charles Harris, Mrs. G Montcastle, Mrs. W. L. Kearnes, Mrs. R. E. Bock, Mrs. Rosa Stevenson (a Dear Friend), Miss Lula Giraud (teacher and friend). Children - Bobby Provine, Edna Bock (on Pastor's lap), Drua Yokley and John C. Provine. J. W. McCall, Pastor.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[Newspaper Special - Rotary Convention, 1922]

[Newspaper Special - Rotary Convention, 1922]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: A special "Rotary photogravure" edition for the Rotary Club Convention, Mineral Wells, that took place in 1922. The edition carries a panoramic view of Mineral Wells from East Mountain, and pictures of twenty Rotary officials and Convention Committee Chairmen. George Holmgren, District Governor (third from left), had Mineral Wells' WELCOME sign built in his San Antonio Iron Works, and donated it to the people of Mineral Wells that year.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The North Entrance to Elmhurst Park]

[The North Entrance to Elmhurst Park]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: The entrance to Elmhurst Park, Mineral Wells is shown here. The number "7830" in the upper left portion of the picture remains unexplained. The park was a recreational spot for the resort city. The park was closed in 1913, when trolley service was discontinued for lack of customers. As a direct result, the casino no longer exists, being also a casualty of the state's reform of gambling laws. It is now the site of the city sewage disposal facility.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
North Front of Old School House

North Front of Old School House

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: A north (side) view of the West Ward School, Mineral Wells' first High School. Built in 1902, located at 205 NW 5th Avenue, north of and on the same property as the old Rock School. The school served as both a High School and Elementary school until the East Ward School was built in 1906. When Mineral Wells High School was built in 1915, the West Ward name was changed to Houston Elementary School. It was torn down when a new Houston School was built in 1930. A note on the back of this photograph states "From Howard Album."
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[North Oak Avenue ]

[North Oak Avenue ]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: A street scene in Mineral Wells (looking north on Oak Avenue) approximately at the corner of North Oak Avenue and West Hubbard Street is shown here. Street car (running from 1907 to 1913) tracks are visible in the foreground, and the guy wires required to keep the power wire of the trolley in place festoon the sky. The Hexagon Hotel (opened in 1897)is visible towards the back of the picture. The Vichy (later the Beach, and then later the Standard)well is barely visible across from the Hexagon Hotel. The streets of Mineral Wells were not paved until 1914. Please observe the utter absence of automobiles.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[North Oak Avenue Street Scene]

[North Oak Avenue Street Scene]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: A street scene of North Oak Avenue, looking north from Hubbard Street, taken about 1930, includes businesses as: Palace Drug Company, Owl Book Store, American Cafe, Poston Dry Goods, Max Miller's Shoe Store, Caldwell Hotel, Texas Power and Light, Bath House and Crazy Water Hotel. Please note that the street has been paved, and a traffic light is present.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library