You limited your search to:

  Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
 Language: English
[Mrs. Yokley Entertained the "Aid"]

[Mrs. Yokley Entertained the "Aid"]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: A group of people sit and stand on the elaborately-decorated porch of a house. Written on the back are the following notes: Mrs. Yokley entertaining the "Aid." Standing - Mrs. Mollie Yokley, Mrs. John Beetham, Mrs. M. E. Paren (mother of Mrs. Bock), Mrs. M. Raines (mother of Mrs. McCracken), Mrs. Lock (a neighbor), Mrs. Veal and Nila, Mrs. J. H. McCracken. Sitting - Mrs. Provine, Mrs. Schneider, Mrs. Galbraith and Ann Lock, Mrs. Charles Harris, Mrs. G Montcastle, Mrs. W. L. Kearnes, Mrs. R. E. Bock, Mrs. Rosa Stevenson (a Dear Friend), Miss Lula Giraud (teacher and friend). Children - Bobby Provine, Edna Bock (on Pastor's lap), Drua Yokley and John C. Provine. J. W. McCall, Pastor.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Nazareth  Hospital 25th Anniversary 1931-1956

Nazareth Hospital 25th Anniversary 1931-1956

Date: 1956
Creator: unknown
Description: We have here a copy of the cover of a booklet marking the 25th anniversary (1931 - 1956) of Mineral Well's Nazareth Hospital. The brochure contains pictures of the religious, medical, nursing and administrative staff, with interior scenes of departments, patients and equipment. The Mineral Wells Clinic was built soon after the current Crazy Hotel opened in 1927 to replace the Crazy Flats that burned in 1925. In 1931 the Holy Sisters of the Nazareth purchased the 46-bed facility for $135,000 and moved into the top floor of the building to live and minister to the patients. The hospital was closed in the mid 'sixties. The hospital was temporarily moved to the Crazy Hotel until the present [2009] hospital was built.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[NE 1st Avenue]

[NE 1st Avenue]

Date: 1993
Creator: unknown
Description: This photograph shows a scene of NE 1st Avenue. The stone building on the left is the "Yeager Building", which once housed the "Lion" Drugstore. At the time of the photograph, it housed Baker Medical Supply. A handwritten date on the back of the photograph states "1993." In 2007, the coffee shop "H2Jo" is located in this building. The next building up the street (and in the next block) was once the Hub Tailors, and the large three-story building farther up the street is the Western Auto Store. At the end of the street is the Old Post Office, which currently houses the Women's Club.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
The New Suspension Bridge at Lover's Retreat, Near Mineral Wells, Texas

The New Suspension Bridge at Lover's Retreat, Near Mineral Wells, Texas

Date: 1920?
Creator: unknown
Description: A suspension bridge for pedestrian traffic across Eagle Creek at Lover's Retreat is shown here, from what must be a picture post-card. Formerly a public park, and now on private property, it was located four miles west of Palo Pinto on the old Bankhead Highway (now U.S. Highway 180).
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[Newspaper Special - Rotary Convention, 1922]

[Newspaper Special - Rotary Convention, 1922]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: A special "Rotary photogravure" edition for the Rotary Club Convention, Mineral Wells, that took place in 1922. The edition carries a panoramic view of Mineral Wells from East Mountain, and pictures of twenty Rotary officials and Convention Committee Chairmen. George Holmgren, District Governor (third from left), had Mineral Wells' WELCOME sign built in his San Antonio Iron Works, and donated it to the people of Mineral Wells that year.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The North Entrance to Elmhurst Park]

[The North Entrance to Elmhurst Park]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: The entrance to Elmhurst Park, Mineral Wells is shown here. The number "7830" in the upper left portion of the picture remains unexplained. The park was a recreational spot for the resort city. The park was closed in 1913, when trolley service was discontinued for lack of customers. As a direct result, the casino no longer exists, being also a casualty of the state's reform of gambling laws. It is now the site of the city sewage disposal facility.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
North Front of Old School House

North Front of Old School House

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: A north (side) view of the West Ward School, Mineral Wells' first High School. Built in 1902, located at 205 NW 5th Avenue, north of and on the same property as the old Rock School. The school served as both a High School and Elementary school until the East Ward School was built in 1906. When Mineral Wells High School was built in 1915, the West Ward name was changed to Houston Elementary School. It was torn down when a new Houston School was built in 1930. A note on the back of this photograph states "From Howard Album."
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[North Oak Avenue ]

[North Oak Avenue ]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: A street scene in Mineral Wells (looking north on Oak Avenue) approximately at the corner of North Oak Avenue and West Hubbard Street is shown here. Street car (running from 1907 to 1913) tracks are visible in the foreground, and the guy wires required to keep the power wire of the trolley in place festoon the sky. The Hexagon Hotel (opened in 1897)is visible towards the back of the picture. The Vichy (later the Beach, and then later the Standard)well is barely visible across from the Hexagon Hotel. The streets of Mineral Wells were not paved until 1914. Please observe the utter absence of automobiles.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[North Oak Avenue Street Scene]

[North Oak Avenue Street Scene]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: A street scene of North Oak Avenue, looking north from Hubbard Street, taken about 1930, includes businesses as: Palace Drug Company, Owl Book Store, American Cafe, Poston Dry Goods, Max Miller's Shoe Store, Caldwell Hotel, Texas Power and Light, Bath House and Crazy Water Hotel. Please note that the street has been paved, and a traffic light is present.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[A North Oak Streetcar at Elmhurst Park]

[A North Oak Streetcar at Elmhurst Park]

Date: November 27, 2006
Creator: unknown
Description: A trolley car, and, presuably, passengers, are shown here at the front of entrance to Elmhurst Park. Elmhurst Park was active in the early years of the twentieth century,its career being ended by about 1940. People leaning against trolley car wear what is now [2008] considered "Vintage" clothing. One set of tracks seems to be overgrown by grass; tufts of grass also appear on the other set of tracks. No explanation has been put forward to clarify this situation.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library