You limited your search to:

  Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
 Resource Type: Photograph
 Decade: 1940-1949
 Language: No Language
[The Baker Hotel at Night]

[The Baker Hotel at Night]

Date: 1940
Creator: unknown
Description: [Baker Hotel at Night. Cars parked on street. Wind blows through trees.] Legend: Photo & colorized by A. F. Weaver 1940
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Building of Fort Wolters]

[The Building of Fort Wolters]

Date: 1940
Creator: unknown
Description: An automobile--presumably of the late 1930's--is parked by a building in the process of being built. Workmen may be seen at the site. A legend under the original reads: "Buildings seem to literally spring from the earth when the construction of the then Camp Wolters began in November, 1940. The camp was completed in less than four months and became the nation's largest infantry Replacement Training Center. Construction cost was approximately $14,200,000."
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Crazy Crystal Bottling Plant]

[The Crazy Crystal Bottling Plant]

Date: 1940?
Creator: unknown
Description: A picture of the interior of the Crazy Bottling Plant, ladies are shown bottling Crazy Fiz, a copyrighted beverage created by infusing cooled mineral water with carbon dioxide. The men shown here appear to be checking the process in preparation for the bottling of the Crazy Fiz, while the ladies bottle and crate the finished product for shipment. Note the plant's scrupulous cleanliness, and the fact that all employees are dressed in white.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Crazy Hotel Pavilion]

[The Crazy Hotel Pavilion]

Date: 1940
Creator: unknown
Description: A handwritten note on the back of the picture identifies this as "Crazy Hotel Pavilion 1940 Cigar Stand and Shine Stand." Please notice Leon Cross, the "shoe-shine boy", who operated the stand for years, in the white shirt to the left of the Shine Stand. This pavilion is off the hotel lobby, behind and west of the elevators of the second Crazy Hotel. A fire started March 15, 1925, in the drugstore next to the bath house of the first Crazy Hotel which adjoined the Crazy Flats (second Crazy Pavilion). The fire destroyed all the businesses in this city block. The second Crazy Hotel opened in 1927, and incorporated all of the previous enterprises into one building covering the entire city block. The drinking bar, from which Boyce Ditto served mineral water for many years, is at the opposite end of the pavilion, left of the shoe-shine and Cigar Stand, with its striped awning. In its heyday during the health-spa era of the "City built on Water," the bar served four different strengths of mineral water. The bar is still in existence today although inactive. The mezzanine around the drinking pavilion was lined with offices, primarily those of doctors.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The First Air-Mail Service to Mineral Wells]

[The First Air-Mail Service to Mineral Wells]

Date: 1947
Creator: unknown
Description: The first batch of airmail arrived in Mineral Wells, 1947, 6:30 pm. Individuals from left are: John Chamberlain, Manager of the Chamber of Commerce, Fred Parnell, Bill Cameron, of the Index, Fred Brown, Manager of the Baker Hotel, Mayor John Miller, an unidentified pilot, D.C. Harris, Postmaster (holding the mail bag) and R. T. Jones. The airplane in the background, a Cessna 190, was probably the one used to transport the mail. It appeared to be a cold day, as the officials are all wearing coats. (A negative accompanying this picture depicted a "Christmas rush at the old Post Office")
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
 [A High School Coronation, 1947]

[A High School Coronation, 1947]

Date: 1947
Creator: unknown
Description: The High School Coronation of 1947 had its picture taken in the Convention Hall. The photograph was taken by Du-Caan Studios, Mineral Wells, Texas. The people involved--with two possible exceptions--are not known. [written on the back in pencil: Barbara Bowman Barbara Weaver]
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[Lake Mineral Wells]

[Lake Mineral Wells]

Date: 1941?
Creator: Clarence Winfield Simonds
Description: This is a view from a spot near the dam looking across the lake to Ed Dismuke's Famous Water Company, where mineral water was piped to his drinking pavilion on NW 3rd Street. It was here also, that the Famous crystallizing plant, where "Pronto Lax" crystals were made, was located. Lake Pinto supplied water to the City of Mineral Wells from the time of its creation in 1902, until Rock Creek was dammed to form Lake Mineral Wells in Parker County in 1918, and completed in September of 1920. This photograph is taken from one of 17 (4X4) negatives in an envelope from Charles W. Simonds, addressed to A.F. Weaver Photography, and postmarked "Aug. 4, 1975."
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[Lake Mineral Wells, 1 of 4, Flood Stage]

[Lake Mineral Wells, 1 of 4, Flood Stage]

Date: c. 1941
Creator: unknown
Description: Lake Mineral Wells, Mineral Wells State Park, is shown here in flood stage. Heavy spring rains dumped 7.2 inches of rainfall into the area over a violent week-end in March 1976, resulting in a flood that claimed 24 lives in fire- and water-related incidents. The dam is visible on the far left side of the picture, with water flowing over it. Flood waters cover a large part of the land between the photographer and the dam. The public boat ramp and fueling station are on the peninsula at the far right side of the picture. The picture is part of a group of films labeled "1977", but related news articles give the date as March of the previous year.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[Mineral Wells High School]

[Mineral Wells High School]

Date: 1940
Creator: unknown
Description: This view of Mineral Wells High School, taken from the east in 1940, shows the 1884 "Little Rock School House" (Mineral Wells' first public school) on the north side of the high school. The larger school was built at 101 NW 5th Avenue in 1915. The second high school in Mineral Wells, it still [2008] stands. Three other high schools have been built since the last class graduated from this one in 1955. It is now the property of The Fifty Year Club of Mineral Wells, and it is being restored.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library