You limited your search to:

  Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
 County: Palo Pinto County, TX
 Decade: 1950-1959
 Year: 1954
[An Aerial View of Downtown Mineral Wells in 1954]

[An Aerial View of Downtown Mineral Wells in 1954]

Date: 1954
Creator: unknown
Description: This is a picture of an aerial view of downtown Mineral Wells (taken from the Ft. Worth Star-Telegram, January 1954)at about South Oak Avenue, and looking north-northeast. Some of the buildings identifiable in the picture no longer exist. The Damron Hotel, at the middle left of the picture, burned in 1975. The Oxford Hotel/First National Bank building, one block east [right] of the Damron, near the center of the picture, burned in 1983. It has been replaced by Lynch Plaza. The Hexagon Hotel, in the upper left corner of the picture, (north and above the Crazy) was demolished in 1959. The Convention Center behind the Hexagon was demolished in 1976. Landmarks still standing are: The 13-story (including a Roof Garden) Baker Hotel, dominating the upper right of the picture; The Crazy Hotel (now a retirement home) at the upper left of the picture; and the old Post Office in the upper middle of the picture (between the Baker and Crazy Hotels), which is now the Woman's Club. The building across the street and to the south (this side of the Baker) was demolished to make room for the Mineral Wells Savings and Loan, which in turn was replaced by The ...
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
The Cullen Grimes School

The Cullen Grimes School

Date: March 1954
Creator: Daniel, W.L.
Description: Principal Donald Bond, the teachers and the students of the afternoon group at Cullen Grimes School in Mineral Wells, Texas congregate in front of the building in March of 1954.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[A Letter Concerning Mineral Wells High School 1953 Graduation]

[A Letter Concerning Mineral Wells High School 1953 Graduation]

Date: 1954?
Creator: R. B. Shiflet
Description: A letter is shown here (dated November 27, 2002) from R. B. Shiflet to Bob Bellamy, concerning the Mineral Wells High School graduating classes of 1953 and 1954. It states that the move to the "new" campus occurred during the Christmas holidays of 1953. The letter also describes classroom conditions during this period. Houston School faculty members are mentioned, as well. They included R. B. Shiflet, Mrs. D. R. (Ferne) Hudson and Mrs. Mildred Burnham.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Sam Houston School

Sam Houston School

Date: March 1954
Creator: Daniel, W.L.
Description: Students, teachers and principal D.R. Hudson, of the Sam Houston School in March 1954 stand outside the school building.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
The Sam Houston School--- An Afternoon Group of 1954

The Sam Houston School--- An Afternoon Group of 1954

Date: March 1954
Creator: Daniel, W.L.
Description: Students, teachers and the principal, D.R. Hudson, of the Sam Houston School's Afternoon Group are shown here in March of 1954. The picture was taken outside the school building.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library