Date: c. 1915
Description: The man wearing a suit, sitting on a donkey, and holding a bottle of mineral water, is James Alvis Lynch, who founded Mineral Wells in 1881. Mr. Lynch discovered the mineral-laden water while searching for a source of water for his Millsap Valley farm. He dug a well, in 1878, to forty-one feet that was dry. The family continued to haul water from the Brazos River until 1880, when a man named Johnny D. Adams came through the county with a water-well drilling outfit. Mr. Lynch traded a pair of oxen for him to drill a well, the first to supply water in the community. His son, C. C., was the first to taste the "funny-tasting water." Mrs. Lynch, however, drank the water, and in time, she was no longer bothered by the rheumatism that had plagued her. Other wells were soon drilled, and other "miracle" cures were reported. People flocked to the healing waters from near and far. Mr. Lynch subdivided his property and laid out the town of Mineral Wells the following year, 1881.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library