You limited your search to:

  Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
 Language: English
Oak Street, Mineral Wells, Texas

Oak Street, Mineral Wells, Texas

Date: August 8, 2006
Creator: unknown
Description: This picture purports to show North Oak Avenue,(the photograph reads "Oak Street")of Mineral Wells, Texas,in the 100 block--looking north. The Mineral Wells Electric Railway operated from 1907 to 1913, and streets were paved in 1914. Visible are: A horse-drawn hack with passengers, a streetcar, automobiles, numerous people on sidewalks, and businesses along the street. The streetcar (Apparently working on air: The electric line required to power it is nowhere in sight)is passing the Poston Dry Goods store on its right. The Hexagon Hotel (opened December 1897)is possibly visible in the distance. A steeple is barely visible on the skyline at the left (west) side of the street.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Mineral Wells Fair of 1908]

[The Mineral Wells Fair of 1908]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Farm products, such as home-canned food items, fresh produce, and plant specimens are displayed here, within the Dance Pavilion at Elmhurst Park at the 1908 Mineral Wells Annual Fair, a Palo Pinto County Fair exhibit.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[People in an Automobile]

[People in an Automobile]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: An automobile is shown here, decorated for a parade. The occupants of automobile are obviously dressed for the special occasion. The photograph is a view looking south on Oak Avenue at First Street, in downtown Mineral Wells. The ghostly images in the picture remain unexplained.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
On the Broadway of America Highway, Mineral Wells, Texas

On the Broadway of America Highway, Mineral Wells, Texas

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: The title on the Picture states, "On The Broadway Of America Highway, Mineral Wells, Texas." This picture shows a section of the Bankhead Highway, looking east where the main road to Millsap descends from the mountain on which the Mineral Wells Airport stands. Once identified as part of US Highway 281 south of town [Mineral Wells], it overlooks much of the scenery viewed from "Observation Point",at one time called one of the most scenic vistas in the state. The Bankhead Highway was America's first transcontinental highway, starting at Mile Zero on the steps of the Capitol in Washington, D. C. It terminated in San Diego, California, and was named for Senator John Hollis Bankhead, head of the Good Roads Movement. It was once labeled "The Broadway of America." The road was approved by Congress in 1916, but construction was delayed by World War I. Hundreds of miles were built in the 1920's when it crossed Palo Pinto County. Mineral Wells' main streets, Hubbard Street and SE 6th Avenue were part of the Bankhead Highway. Hollis Bankhead was the grandfather of Broadway Actress, Tallulah Bankhead. His brother ran a Drugstore in Gordon, Texas, with the proud motto: "The best is none ...
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Street Parade / West Texas C. of C. Convention / Mineral Wells 1925

Street Parade / West Texas C. of C. Convention / Mineral Wells 1925

Date: unknown
Creator: Clemons, Basil
Description: A parade on North Oak Avenue in Mineral Wells, Texas is the subject of this picture. Businesses partaking of it include Poston Dry Goods, a bath house, the Hexagon Hotel, Palace Drugs, American Cafe, and the Caldwell Hotel. American flags, Texas flags, and various banners are hanging from the buildings. The parade is moving south (while the picture is looking north) on N. Oak Avenue, at its intersection with SE 1st Street It was held during the West Texas Chamber of Commerce Convention of 1925. The photograph bears the colophon of Basil Clemens Photo Company of Breckenridge, Texas.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Palo Pinto County Fair Parade of 1912]

[The Palo Pinto County Fair Parade of 1912]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: The Palo Pinto County Fair Parade of 1912 is shown, with a horse-drawn float, more horses, an automobile and people in parade. The "Queens Float" featured Queen Apolline Dow of Oran. The outriders were Ferdinand Dow, Ernest Clark, John T. Bowman. Maids of Honor were Alma Herndon, Carrie Stephenson, Ruby Johnson, Mae Belle Smith, Nina Mae Haynes and Cleo Frost. The parade is shown moving south in the 200 block of North Oak Street. (Please note the tracks of the trolley system, which operated from 1907 to 1913.)
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The West Texas Chamber of Commerce Parade, 1925]

[The West Texas Chamber of Commerce Parade, 1925]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: The West Texas Chamber of Commerce Parade, moving west on NE 2nd Street in Mineral Wells is shown here. The parade was staged to welcome the 1925 Convention. Businesses include R. O. Norman and Company, Dry Cleaners; the Whatley-Maddox Motor Co (Ford and Lincoln); the Mineral Wells Sanitarium; and the United States Post Office.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[A Parade in 1925]

[A Parade in 1925]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: A military contingent of the 1925 West Texas Chamber of Commerce Parade in Mineral Wells is shown here. The parade is proceeding west in the 100 block of NE 2nd Street. Please note the Mineral Wells Sanatorium in the upper right of the photograph just east of the old Post Office. Please note also the double line of angle-parked automobiles on the street.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[North Oak Avenue Street Scene]

[North Oak Avenue Street Scene]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: A street scene of North Oak Avenue, looking north from Hubbard Street, taken about 1930, includes businesses as: Palace Drug Company, Owl Book Store, American Cafe, Poston Dry Goods, Max Miller's Shoe Store, Caldwell Hotel, Texas Power and Light, Bath House and Crazy Water Hotel. Please note that the street has been paved, and a traffic light is present.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[People in a Parade]

[People in a Parade]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: A buggy is shown here, filled with people dressed in what appears to be fashions from the 1920's. The buggy wheels are decorated for a parade and the buggy itself has the name "T. J. Green" on it. The location appears to be in front of the Gibson Well in the 700 block of NW 2nd Avenue, now [2008] the location of the First Christian Church.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library