You limited your search to:

  Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
 Resource Type: Photograph
 Decade: 1950-1959
Inspiration Point

Inspiration Point

Date: 1950~
Creator: unknown
Description: The label on the photograph reads both "Possum Kingdom Dam" and "Inspiration Point". A. F. and Patsy Weaver are shown enjoying the view from Inspiration Point. A.F. Weaver himself took the photograph, using a tripod and camera timer,in the same vicinity where he had proposed to Patsy Weaver years before this photograph was taken. In the early part of the twentieth century,the internationally known evangelist, Billy Sunday, visited Mineral Wells. He was told about an outstanding view from a vantage point south of town. On seeing the vista for himself,the Rev. Sunday remarked it was truly an inspirational view. Since that time the viewpoint has been known as "Inspiration Point". This vista is seven miles south of Mineral Wells off US Highway 281, and approximately 40 miles below the Morris Sheppard Dam at Possum Kingdom Lake. It has been called one of the most beautiful scenic views in Texas. This picture has possibly been used in the course of the advertising of interesting things to see and do around Mineral Wells, which might explain the label attached to the photograph. Similarly captivating is a view from "Observation Point" the Dam at Possum Kingdom Lake. The two vistas, some 20 to ...
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
The Cullen Grimes School

The Cullen Grimes School

Date: March 1954
Creator: Daniel, W.L.
Description: Principal Donald Bond, the teachers and the students of the afternoon group at Cullen Grimes School in Mineral Wells, Texas congregate in front of the building in March of 1954.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
The First Anniversary of the Aviation Engineer Force Activation

The First Anniversary of the Aviation Engineer Force Activation

Date: April 10, 1952
Creator: Daniel Photography
Description: Troops and spectators celebrate the first anniversary of Aviation Engineer Force Activation at Wolters Air Force Base on April 10, 1952, with Colonel A.B. Campfield, the Commander of Troops; Brigadier General H.W. Ehrgott, Commanding; Colonel Philip G. Kemp, the Base Commander.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
The Sam Houston School--- An Afternoon Group of 1954

The Sam Houston School--- An Afternoon Group of 1954

Date: March 1954
Creator: Daniel, W.L.
Description: Students, teachers and the principal, D.R. Hudson, of the Sam Houston School's Afternoon Group are shown here in March of 1954. The picture was taken outside the school building.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Sam Houston School

Sam Houston School

Date: March 1954
Creator: Daniel, W.L.
Description: Students, teachers and principal D.R. Hudson, of the Sam Houston School in March 1954 stand outside the school building.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[An Aerial View of Downtown Mineral Wells in 1954]

[An Aerial View of Downtown Mineral Wells in 1954]

Date: 1954
Creator: unknown
Description: This is a picture of an aerial view of downtown Mineral Wells (taken from the Ft. Worth Star-Telegram, January 1954)at about South Oak Avenue, and looking north-northeast. Some of the buildings identifiable in the picture no longer exist. The Damron Hotel, at the middle left of the picture, burned in 1975. The Oxford Hotel/First National Bank building, one block east [right] of the Damron, near the center of the picture, burned in 1983. It has been replaced by Lynch Plaza. The Hexagon Hotel, in the upper left corner of the picture, (north and above the Crazy) was demolished in 1959. The Convention Center behind the Hexagon was demolished in 1976. Landmarks still standing are: The 13-story (including a Roof Garden) Baker Hotel, dominating the upper right of the picture; The Crazy Hotel (now a retirement home) at the upper left of the picture; and the old Post Office in the upper middle of the picture (between the Baker and Crazy Hotels), which is now the Woman's Club. The building across the street and to the south (this side of the Baker) was demolished to make room for the Mineral Wells Savings and Loan, which in turn was replaced by The ...
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Nazareth  Hospital 25th Anniversary 1931-1956

Nazareth Hospital 25th Anniversary 1931-1956

Date: 1956
Creator: unknown
Description: We have here a copy of the cover of a booklet marking the 25th anniversary (1931 - 1956) of Mineral Well's Nazareth Hospital. The brochure contains pictures of the religious, medical, nursing and administrative staff, with interior scenes of departments, patients and equipment. The Mineral Wells Clinic was built soon after the current Crazy Hotel opened in 1927 to replace the Crazy Flats that burned in 1925. In 1931 the Holy Sisters of the Nazareth purchased the 46-bed facility for $135,000 and moved into the top floor of the building to live and minister to the patients. The hospital was closed in the mid 'sixties. The hospital was temporarily moved to the Crazy Hotel until the present [2009] hospital was built.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Young Motor Co.

Young Motor Co.

Date: May 1952
Creator: Weaver, A. F.
Description: A text on the photograph identifies it as "May 1952-Grand Opening after fire of 1951," "316 E. Hubbard Street," "Photo by A. F. Weaver." This business was the local General Motors dealership and garage. It became Barnett-Young in late 1960's and in 1984 after Cecil Young's death it was Barnett Motor Co. The building is adjacent to the Baker Hotel parking garage, and, in 2007, it houses the H & H Tire Company.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[Mineral Wells Policemen]

[Mineral Wells Policemen]

Date: 1953
Creator: unknown
Description: On back of this photograph is written: "T. Row. L to R. Harry Shuffler, Gilbert Summerfield, L.D. Hill, Bill Patton & Odie Heath 1953 B. Row L. to R. Chief Frank Granbury, B Lain (probably "Blain") Price, John Fletcher, E. Scott Tobey & Alfred A Perkins" The picture was donated to the Mineral Wells Heritage Association on February 12, 1988, by Scott Tobey.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library