You limited your search to:

  Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
 Decade: 1970-1979
[The Damron Hotel Fire, 1 of 21, Dec. 22, 1975]

[The Damron Hotel Fire, 1 of 21, Dec. 22, 1975]

Date: December 22, 1975
Creator: unknown
Description: A fire destroyed the Damron Hotel, December 22, 1975. The hotel was located at 109 West Hubbard Street, facing north, before the unfortunate conflagration. The fire also destroyed Davidson Hardware, located in the same block.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Crazy Hotel Barber Shop]

[The Crazy Hotel Barber Shop]

Date: 1974
Creator: unknown
Description: This photograph shows the barber Shop in the Crazy Hotel in 1974. "Shoe Shine Boy" Leon Cross is shown seated at his shoe-shine stand. Leon worked in the First Crazy Hotel before it burned in 1925, and (in 1974) he had been employed by the hotel in various capacities since. The new Crazy Hotel opened in 1927. After the Nazareth Hospital closed, rooms on the first two floors of the Crazy were used as a hospital while the new Palo Pinto General Hospital was under construction. The Crazy Hotel is now [2009]a retirement Home. It was forcibly closed down in 2010.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
First National Bank

First National Bank

Date: 1970?
Creator: unknown
Description: The first National Bank, at the SE corner of Oak Avenue and Hubbard Street in Mineral Wells, was originally located in the Oxford Hotel. The Lynch Building and Plaza were built on the site of the hotel, commemorating the location of the discovery of mineral water with "miracle healing powers" by a well drilled here by James A. Lynch in 1879, after the Oxford burned in 1983.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Crazy Well]

[The Crazy Well]

Date: 1974
Creator: unknown
Description: This picture was taken in 1974, looking south on NW 1st Avenue from NW 4th Street, showing the metal cover, in the sidewalk corner, of the Crazy Well. It is full of Crazy water, ready to be pumped out and used. The building on the left is the west side of the present [2008] Crazy Water Retirement Hotel. This information was taken from Art Weaver's book "TIME WAS in Mineral Wells...", page 29. This well was the third one dug in Mineral Wells.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The TIME WAS Book Auction]

[The TIME WAS Book Auction]

Date: August 1975
Creator: unknown
Description: The auction of first edition of "TIME WAS in Mineral Wells..." The men in picture were: (left to right) the Reverend Mr. Bobby Moore, auctioneer; Art Weaver, author; H. Arthur Zappe, DDS, Mayor of Mineral Wells; and Frost Bowman, Banker. The Reverend Mr. Moore was pastor of the First Baptist Church at the time. Mr. Weaver was a photographer, and the first president of the Mineral Wells Heritage Association. Dr. Zappe was a dentist, and Mr. Bowman was a Director of Mineral Wells Heritage Association.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[A Scene at auction of First Edition of TIME WAS]

[A Scene at auction of First Edition of TIME WAS]

Date: August 1975
Creator: unknown
Description: Attendants at an auction of the First Edition of "TIME WAS In Mineral Wells" shown here, are, left to right: Mrs. Richard Warren;, Mrs. Morris Thompkins; Mrs. A.F. (Patsy) Weaver; Mr. A.F. Weaver, Author; Rev. Bobby Moore; Auctioneer.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Auction of the First Edition of TIME WAS In Mineral Wells]

[The Auction of the First Edition of TIME WAS In Mineral Wells]

Date: August 1975
Creator: unknown
Description: This photograph shows the purchaser who bought the first copy of "Time Was in Mineral Wells", and his wife. Left to right are: Rev. Bobby Moore, auctioneer; Jack Dickens, purchaser; A.F. Weaver, author; Mrs. Jean Dickens. Copy Number One sold for $153.57. (H. Arthur Zappe D.D.S., bought copy Number Two for $45, and Bill Bennett bought copy Number Three for an undisclosed price.)
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Auction of the First Edition of TIME WAS In Mineral Wells]

[The Auction of the First Edition of TIME WAS In Mineral Wells]

Date: August 1975
Creator: unknown
Description: This photograph shows the auction of the first ten copies of "TIME WAS In Mineral Wells", First Edition, 1975. Identified (facing the crowd in front row) are Mrs. Richard Warren (with arms folded); Mrs. A.F. (Patsy) Weaver; A.F. (Art) Weaver, Author; Rev. Bobby Moore, Auctioneer. The auction took place inside the restored "Little Rock School", Mineral Wells' first public school.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Three Railroads to Mineral Wells

Three Railroads to Mineral Wells

Date: 1976
Creator: Payne, H. L.
Description: Pamphlet containing a brief history of the Weatherford, Mineral Wells and Northwestern Railway, the Gulf and Brazos Valley Railway, and the Gulf, Texas and Western Railway. It has a map of rail routes, photographs, and copies of schedules with ticket prices.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Rock School House]

[The Rock School House]

Date: 1974
Creator: A. F. Weaver
Description: The Rock School, erected in 1884, was Mineral Wells' first public school. It was last used in 1957 as a band hall. It was leased to the Mineral Wells Heritage Association in 1974, renovated and converted to a museum dedicated to the preservation of the history of the City of Mineral Wells. This picture appears to have been taken at the time of its renovation and conversion, as the worker on the ladder makes evident. The bell tower has been enclosed, and window screens and doors have been painted or replaced. The property now belongs to the Fifty Year Club, but the museum is still operated by the non-profit Heritage Association.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library