You limited your search to:

  Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
 County: Palo Pinto County, TX
 Decade: 1920-1929
 Language: English
 Collection: A. F. Weaver Collection
The Crazy Well Water Company

The Crazy Well Water Company

Date: 1920?
Creator: unknown
Description: This picture shows a photograph of two pages from a water-bottle-shaped brochure about Mineral Wells. The "Appendix" referred to on the verso folio refers to a series of burlesques printed on previous--unseen--pages. The recto folio describes the four types of the water and the various ailments that they are expected to cure. The brochure notes that number four water is purgative, and should be used in moderation, but at frequent intervals.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Burning of the First Crazy Hotel]

[The Burning of the First Crazy Hotel]

Date: 1925
Creator: unknown
Description: The first Crazy Hotel burned in 1925. This photograph shows the fire as it is burning out, and only a few pieces of the structure still stand. The sign seen in the left part of the photo says "Crazy Drug Co." which was the pharmacy inside the hotel. The hotel was rebuilt and claims to be fire proof.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Convention Hall, Built in 1925]

[The Convention Hall, Built in 1925]

Date: 1925
Creator: unknown
Description: This photograph shows the Convention Hall, which was built in 1925 to accommodate the 1925 West Texas Chamber of Commerce Convention. The lack of signage on the front of the building--along with copious bunting--suggests that the photograph was taken at its dedication. The picture is featured in "Time There Once was", page 164. The Convention Hall was demolished in 1976.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
We lost our job at Mineral Wells, Texas

We lost our job at Mineral Wells, Texas

Date: 1920?/1930?
Creator: unknown
Description: This is a picture that was found in Mr. Weaver's collection, and captioned "We lost our job at Mineral Wells, Texas." This type of advertising was used by most of the drinking pavilions in this popular health resort to tout the beneficial effects of Mineral Wells' waters. There were numerous testimonials attesting the truth of such claims. When the Food and Drug Administration began to enforce the nation's drug laws vigorously in the mid- 1930's, however, there were no rigorous scientific test data to document such claims or to warn of possible side effects that taking the mineral water might bring about. Consequently, this sort of advertising was banned after the 1930's.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Crazy Hotel:  Formal Opening Menu

Crazy Hotel: Formal Opening Menu

Date: 1927
Creator: unknown
Description: This photograph shows a SOUVENIR MENU on the occasion of the formal opening of the Crazy Hotel on March 11, 1927. The hotel, now [2008] a retirement hotel, is still located on the corner of N. Oak Avenue and NW 3rd Street, Mineral Wells, Texas. It was closed as a retirement hotel, under a considerable cloud, in 2012.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Crazy Flats Fire]

[The Crazy Flats Fire]

Date: 1925
Creator: unknown
Description: A note on back of photograph states,"Crazy Water flats fire 1925, March 15th. Picture taken from NE Corner on Oak". Thelma Hart's name appears on back of the picture, which was possibly taken by her husband, as his name, Lawrence, also appears. The picture is included in A. F. Weaver's book, "TIME WAS in Mineral Wells," on page 18.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Crazy Hotel after the Fire of 1925]

[The Crazy Hotel after the Fire of 1925]

Date: March 15, 1925
Creator: unknown
Description: A handwritten note on the back of the photograph identifies the picture as "Crazy Hotel southside after fire of March 15, 1925." Shown is the skeleton of the first Crazy Hotel, after a fire destroyed the entire Crazy "complex." The original hotel complex consisted of the two adjoined hotel sections with a common lobby, the Crazy Flats (a drinking pavilion with rooms for rent), a Bath House, and a drugstore (in which the fire started). The second Crazy Hotel opened two years later, in 1927. It covers the entire city block formerly occupied by the complex which it replaced. The famous second Crazy Hotel of the booming 1930's and 1940's is now [2008] a retirement hotel, that was forcibly closed down in 2010.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[A Panoramic View of Mineral Wells, 1925]

[A Panoramic View of Mineral Wells, 1925]

Date: May 4, 1925
Creator: unknown
Description: A picture taken in 1925, two months after the Crazy burned. Please note no Crazy Hotel in this picture, but the Crazy Well building in the street did not perish in the flames. Also,please note, across the city on West Mountain, the two buildings owned by the Cavalry, where their horses were kept. The old High School, the "Little Rock School", and the West Ward School are visible in the upper left of the picture at the south end of West Mountain.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Welcome Sign & Lookout Tower:   1929

Welcome Sign & Lookout Tower: 1929

Date: 1929
Creator: unknown
Description: The WELCOME sign was donated to the city of Mineral Wells in 1922 by George Holmgren, President of the Texas Rotary Club, in appreciation for the hospitality extended the Rotary Club at its State Convention in Mineral Wells that year. The caption on the photograph reads: "Reputed to be the largest Non-commercial electric sign in U.S." East Mountain was a popular place for viewing the city, especially for photographers. The lookout tower atop West Mountain (above the WELCOME sign) was destroyed by a tornado in 1930. The Welcome Sign was built by Holmgren in his San Antonio Iron Works in 1922. He gave the sign to the people of Mineral Wells with the understanding that they would maintain the sign and the many light bulbs required to light it. The Mineral Wells Jaycees later replaced the light bulbs with lower-maintenance red neon lights. A Warrant Officer Club Company from Fort Wolters moved the sign from East Mountain in 1972 to the east side of Bald Mountain, where it remains today [2008], lighted with flood lights at its base. It is reported that this sign inspired D.W. Griffith, to promote possibly the most recognizable landmark in the US, the HOLLYWOOD sign ...
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Burning of the Crazy Flats]

[The Burning of the Crazy Flats]

Date: March 15, 1925
Creator: unknown
Description: The "Crazy Flats" drinking pavilion, with rooms for rent, replaced a two-story Crazy Water drinking pavilion in 1909. The first Crazy Hotel was built in 1912, and an annex was added to it in 1914. A fire in the Drug Store of the "Crazy Flats" (SE corner of the Crazy Flats building) on March 15, 1925, destroyed the entire Crazy block. The "New", completely rebuilt, Crazy Hotel was enlarged to cover the entire block. It opened in 1927, and replaced all of the burned buildings. The new building was promoted as fireproof, since it was built with solid cement walls and ceilings. The former "new Crazy Hotel" is now a Retirement Home, after a colorful past that included; a daily radio show originating in its Lobby and broadcast nationally over TQN (the Texas Quality Network), the Great Depression of the 'thirties, World War II, the Korean "Police Action", and The Viet Nam War. (Compliance with current Building Codes applying to residential rental property, is creating some problems for the present owners of the 80+ year-old structure.)
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
FIRST PREV 1 2 NEXT LAST