You limited your search to:

  Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Carlisle House, Mineral Wells, Texas

Carlisle House, Mineral Wells, Texas

Date: 1913?
Creator: unknown
Description: The Carlisle House was owned and managed by Mrs. A[lexander] E[mmett] Carlisle, after the death of her husband in 1911. It was one of the largest hotels of its day, boasting sixty rooms. It was destroyed in a fire on July 4, 1914. The Abilene "Reporter" of July 5, 1914 reports that fire began its course at the Tourist Hotel (located, at the time, at 315 NW 4th street). It spread to the New Hazel Hotel (at 305 NW 4th Street), took in the Harrel House, (at 301 NW 4th street), the Lake Charles, Louisiana (511 NW 2nd Street), and the Burk House, 601 NW 3rd Avenue, as well as seven houses that were not hotels. The fire was so thorough that in 1921, the area was still devoid of buildings. It was on this site that Mordecai Ham (he who converted Billy Graham) put up a tent for a revival on March 23, 1927. He accepted the position of pastor at the First Baptist Church in Oklahoma City on June 19, 1927. He remained in that position until June 16, 1929, when he returned to the revival circuit. The Carlisle House was located in the same block as the ...
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
The Bimini Bath House

The Bimini Bath House

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: A photograph of an old postal card showing the Bimini Mineral Bath House, later known as "The Wagley Building" is shown here. It was constructed by Goodrum, Murphy, and Croft and located at 114 NW 4th Street. It was later demolished.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
St. Nicholas Hotel

St. Nicholas Hotel

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: A note with the picture states: The original picture was re-done and re-named the "Delaware Hotel." This picture appears on page 104 in "Time Was..." The building was located at 316 N. Oak Avenue, Mineral Wells, Texas. It was eventually destroyed by fire.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Exchange Hotel

Exchange Hotel

Date: 1900?
Creator: unknown
Description: [The] Exchange Hotel (also known as [The]Plateau in 1909, and later as the Hospital) was built on the site of the Cliff House, which was destroyed by fire. The house to the right was built in 1896 by Dr. A. W. Thompson as a wedding present for his second wife. The Mineral Wells Post Office was built on the vacant lot at the left of the hotel in 1912. The Hotel presents something of a conundrum. An annotation without date states that the Exchange Hotel was destroyed by fire and the Plateau Hotel was built in its place. A notation of 1902 states that the Plateau Hotel was the only brick hotel. A 1907 map shows the Hotel as being at 207 East Coke (Now NE 2nd Avenue) Street. In 1909, a St. Paul Sanitarium was listed at 118 NE 7th Street. .A map of 1912 shows the Plateau Hotel as still being in existence. The city directory of 1920 shows no building in the 200 block--except for the Post Office. A Mineral Wells City Directory of 1924 listed the former Exchange/Plateau building as the Mineral Wells Sanatorium. Dr. A.W. Thompson was still living in the house to the right ...
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Hotel  Damron, Mineral Wells, Texas

Hotel Damron, Mineral Wells, Texas

Date: 1918~
Creator: unknown
Description: This picture shows a post-card view of the Damron Hotel in Mineral Wells, Texas. It was built in 1906 as The Colonial Hotel by rancher J.T. Holt for his second wife, who would not live in the country. The hotel was traded around 1917 to Agnew and Bessie Damron in exchange for a ranch. The hotel burned completely in 1978.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[A party at the Wann home]

[A party at the Wann home]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: A photograph of a news article describing a party given by Mrs. Chloe Schillings at her home, located on NW 2nd Street and 4th Avenue--across the street and west of the Presbyterian Church. The party included Mrs. M. R. Birdwell, Mrs. S. A. Prostridge, Mrs. B. R. Beeler, Mrs. R. L. Yeager, Mrs. Elizabeth Cushman, Mrs. J. E. Johnson, Mrs. Gus Wicklund, Mrs. Millie Turner, Mrs. Mitchell, Mrs. Thomas, Mrs. Mae B. Tiliord, Mrs. E. W. Rogers, Mrs, Vera Lang, Mrs. Ed Oliver, Mrs. F. C. Highsmith and Mrs. Chloe Wann Schillings At the time of the news article, the home, a large Queen Anne-style house, was said to be owned by Mrs. S. H. Smith.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[Bathing Beauties]

[Bathing Beauties]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Three young women lounge at the "old" Mineral Wells City Pool. The woman on the right was Jill Hickey, Mineral Wells High School graduate of 1966, later Jill Hickey Moore of Stafford, Texas. This photograph, judging by the women's hair-do's, appears to have been taken in the 1960's.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[An Aerial View of Mineral Wells From the East, 1967]

[An Aerial View of Mineral Wells From the East, 1967]

Date: April 29, 1967
Creator: A.F. Weaver
Description: A view of the businesses and residences north of East State Highway 180, looking west toward the Baker Hotel in the background. Note the Spanish Trace Apartments and the Brazos Mall.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[An Aerial View of Mineral Wells From the East-northeast 1967]

[An Aerial View of Mineral Wells From the East-northeast 1967]

Date: April 29, 1967
Creator: A. F. Weaver
Description: This aerial view of Mineral Wells from the east-northeast was taken April 29, 1967, near the convergence of E. Hubbard and SE 1st Street(that together comprise US Highway 180-a one-way street through downtown Mineral Wells). Note the Brazos Mall and Spanish Trace Apartments at the upper left of the picture, and the Baker Hotel in the background at the extreme upper right corner of the picture. The buildings in the lower left corner of the picture are motels. The large vacant area in the picture was later developed when the Lakewell House Retirement Home was built near the middle of it.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[Three Women at a Swimming Pool]

[Three Women at a Swimming Pool]

Date: April 29, 1967
Creator: unknown
Description: Three women are shown at the "old" Mineral Wells City Pool. A male lifeguard, to their right, looks on unconcernedly. Only one woman can be identified: Jill Hickey, Mineral Wells High School graduate of 1966,the woman on the right, now Jill Hickey Moore of Stafford, Texas.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library