You limited your search to:

  Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
 Language: No Language
[The Colonel Boykin Home - 1301 SE 4th Avenue]

[The Colonel Boykin Home - 1301 SE 4th Avenue]

Date: June 1974
Creator: unknown
Description: The Colonel Boykin Home, at 1301 SE 4th Avenue, Mineral Wells, Texas appears to show neo-classical elements, along with evidence of later remodeling. This home was built in 1905 by Colonel Walter H. Boykin, owner of the Fairfield Inn. It was later purchased by William Whipple Johnson who, with his brother, Harvey, originally developed the coal mines in Thurber, Texas. Johnson opened the Rock Creek Mine in far western Parker County (after selling the mines at Thurber) and lived in this home while he operated it. The Will Smith family owned the house during the 1930's The house was converted to a rooming house during World War II, and abandoned in later years. The abandoned house was bought in 1975 by Morris Wayne Garrett and his wife, Darlene. They salvaged artifacts from several historical buildings in Mineral Wells that were in the process of being demolished: A beveled-glass door from the old Miller Hotel, large claw-footed bathtubs from the Jerome Hotel, French doors and tall windows from the old Firemen's club at Lake Mineral Wells, and baluster rails which were once part of the Hexagon Hotel, in their efforts to restore the home to its former grandeur.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[A House at 1004 SW 10th Street]

[A House at 1004 SW 10th Street]

Date: June 1974
Creator: unknown
Description: This photograph affords a wider view of the house shown in the previous picture. It is of eclectic style, with Prairie, and Neoclassical elements. A telephone book dated 1940 lists it as the address of Alvin Maddox.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[A House at 1004 SW 10th Street]

[A House at 1004 SW 10th Street]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: A picture of the home at 1004 SW 10th Street, Mineral Wells, Texas is shown here. The picture does not afford a sufficiently good view to determine its style, but Neoclassical elements are evident. A 1940 telephone book lists it as the address of one Alvin Maddox.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Clark Residence on N W 4th Ave.]

[The Clark Residence on N W 4th Ave.]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: The W. V. Clark residence on NW 4th Avenue (which was originally called Pecan Street). This photograph was taken in June of 1974. A photograph on page 139 of "TIME WAS..." by A. F. Weaver shows the house to better advantage before foliage of the trees obscured part of it.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[416 NW 6th Street]

[416 NW 6th Street]

Date: unknown
Creator: A. F. Weaver
Description: This home, at 416 NW 6th Street, was built in 1906 by Robert Wylie, a prominent pioneer cattleman. The house was purchased in 1917 by the attorney of Mrs. Wylie, Judge W.H. Gross. It was known as "The Gross House" until Mrs. Gross' death in 1952. The Luther Waddy family subsequently became owners. The next people to purchase the house were Mr. and Mrs. Jack Catrett in 2006. There are 10 rooms and 8 fireplaces (all coal-burning), each one unique, and believed to have been imported. There are many stained- and leaded-glass windows. This view is of the front, southern elevation of the house. The photograph was take in June of 1975. The style of the house is Queen Anne, sub-type Free Classic. The shaped parapet on the tower, and the parapets on the gables are taken from the sub-type Patterned Masonry. A rectangular tower (more readily visible in the next photograph)is very unusual in this type of architecture (round, square, or polygonal towers are more common). However, the shape may have been dictated by the use of cement blocks, which was a new material in this time Another view of the house may be found in "Time Was...", by ...
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Una McLaughlin Home]

[The Una McLaughlin Home]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: The "Una McLaughlin" home is located on NW 23rd Street. This photograph was taken in July, 1975. Built in 1927 by J.C. Cunningham, an oil operator. The home was sold in 1931 to Judge E.B. Ritchie. It was purchased in 1973 by Una McLaughlin. The tile in the living room fireplace is the same as used in the Baker Hotel. The tile, stained glass in the breakfast room, and the light fixtures are in the Art Deco style. The architectural style of the house is Italian Renaissance. It shows signs of remodeling.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Thompson (Later Cunningham) House, at  215 NE 2nd Street]

[The Thompson (Later Cunningham) House, at 215 NE 2nd Street]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: This is a February, 1974, photograph of the home at 215 NE 2nd Street, just north of the Baker Hotel. It was called the Thompson Home at that time, because it was occupied by Dr. A. W. Thompson as late as 1924. He built it in 1896 as a wedding present to his second wife. Dr. Thompson also owned a bath house and the Lamar Flats. Built in Queen Anne style, spindle work sub-type, the house was extensively restored in 2006 by Mr. Bill Pratt, Jr. This photograph appears in "Time Was..." on page 141.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[A Building at the 500 Block of SW 4th Avenue]

[A Building at the 500 Block of SW 4th Avenue]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: This house, now [2009]located at 510 SW 4th Avenue at the corner of SW 4th Avenue and 5th Street, was a part of the original Mineral Wells College. The large structure was built in 1891 at 101 NW 5th Street. The front half of it was moved to its current location, and turned into a residence around 1902. The style is Queen Anne, but without a tower. Please note the two-story wraparound porch, which is rare in all parts of the nation, except for the south. This photograph may be found on page 170 of "Time Was..." by A.F. Weaver. [For more details about the College of Mineral Wells, please see the picture "Mineral Wells School, Texas."]
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[Bathing Beauties]

[Bathing Beauties]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Three young women lounge at the "old" Mineral Wells City Pool. The woman on the right was Jill Hickey, Mineral Wells High School graduate of 1966, later Jill Hickey Moore of Stafford, Texas. This photograph, judging by the women's hair-do's, appears to have been taken in the 1960's.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[An Aerial View of Mineral Wells From the East, 1967]

[An Aerial View of Mineral Wells From the East, 1967]

Date: April 29, 1967
Creator: A.F. Weaver
Description: A view of the businesses and residences north of East State Highway 180, looking west toward the Baker Hotel in the background. Note the Spanish Trace Apartments and the Brazos Mall.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library