You limited your search to:

  Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
 Decade: 1920-1929
Crazy Hotel:  Formal Opening Menu

Crazy Hotel: Formal Opening Menu

Date: 1927
Creator: unknown
Description: This photograph shows a SOUVENIR MENU on the occasion of the formal opening of the Crazy Hotel on March 11, 1927. The hotel, now [2008] a retirement hotel, is still located on the corner of N. Oak Avenue and NW 3rd Street, Mineral Wells, Texas. It was closed as a retirement hotel, under a considerable cloud, in 2010.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Crazy Flats Fire]

[The Crazy Flats Fire]

Date: 1925
Creator: unknown
Description: A note on back of photograph states,"Crazy Water flats fire 1925, March 15th. Picture taken from NE Corner on Oak". Thelma Hart's name appears on back of the picture, which was possibly taken by her husband, as his name, Lawrence, also appears. The picture is included in A. F. Weaver's book, "TIME WAS in Mineral Wells," on page 18.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Crazy Hotel after the Fire of 1925]

[The Crazy Hotel after the Fire of 1925]

Date: March 15, 1925
Creator: unknown
Description: A handwritten note on the back of the photograph identifies the picture as "Crazy Hotel southside after fire of March 15, 1925." Shown is the skeleton of the first Crazy Hotel, after a fire destroyed the entire Crazy "complex." The original hotel complex consisted of the two adjoined hotel sections with a common lobby, the Crazy Flats (a drinking pavilion with rooms for rent), a Bath House, and a drugstore (in which the fire started). The second Crazy Hotel opened two years later, in 1927. It covers the entire city block formerly occupied by the complex which it replaced. The famous second Crazy Hotel of the booming 1930's and 1940's is now [2008] a retirement hotel that was forcibly closed down in 2010.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The First Crazy Hotel and Crazy Flats]

[The First Crazy Hotel and Crazy Flats]

Date: 1920?
Creator: unknown
Description: A view of the Crazy Flats and first Crazy Hotel, as seen from East Mountain, is shown here. The Crazy Flats, at the right middle of the picture, was the second Crazy Drinking Pavilion--also with Rooms for Rent--was built in 1909. One feature of the Flats was "Peacock Alley", where the men gathered on Sundays to watch the ladies parade and show off the latest fashions in female gear. The first Crazy Hotel is to the left rear of the Flats; the first section of the Hotel, on the right, was built in 1912, and the second section, on the left, to its left, was built in 1914 and connected to the first with a common lobby. The Crazy Bath house adjoined Crazy Flats on the left, and a drugstore was located in the left corner of the Bath house building. A fire, starting in the drugstore on March 15, 1925, burned the entire block, sparing only the small building housing the first Crazy Pavilion (the right rear of the Flats.) The current (second) Crazy Hotel opened in 1927, and replaced all of the former businesses in this block.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[A Panoramic View of Mineral Wells, 1925]

[A Panoramic View of Mineral Wells, 1925]

Date: May 4, 1925
Creator: unknown
Description: A picture taken in 1925, two months after the Crazy burned. Please note no Crazy Hotel in this picture, but the Crazy Well building in the street did not perish in the flames. Also,please note, across the city on West Mountain, the two buildings owned by the Cavalry, where their horses were kept. The old High School, the "Little Rock School", and the West Ward School are visible in the upper left of the picture at the south end of West Mountain.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Welcome Sign & Lookout Tower:   1929

Welcome Sign & Lookout Tower: 1929

Date: 1929
Creator: unknown
Description: The WELCOME sign was donated to the city of Mineral Wells in 1922 by George Holmgren, President of the Texas Rotary Club, in appreciation for the hospitality extended the Rotary Club at its State Convention in Mineral Wells that year. The caption on the photograph reads: "Reputed to be the largest Non-commercial electric sign in U.S." East Mountain was a popular place for viewing the city, especially for photographers. The lookout tower atop West Mountain (above the WELCOME sign) was destroyed by a tornado in 1930. The Welcome Sign was built by Holmgren in his San Antonio Iron Works in 1922. He gave the sign to the people of Mineral Wells with the understanding that they would maintain the sign and the many light bulbs required to light it. The Mineral Wells Jaycees later replaced the light bulbs with lower-maintenance red neon lights. A Warrant Officer Club Company from Fort Wolters moved the sign from East Mountain in 1972 to the east side of Bald Mountain, where it remains today [2008], lighted with flood lights at its base. It is reported that this sign inspired D.W. Griffith, to promote possibly the most recognizable landmark in the United States, the HOLLYWOOD ...
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Burning of the Crazy Flats]

[The Burning of the Crazy Flats]

Date: March 15, 1925
Creator: unknown
Description: The "Crazy Flats" drinking pavilion, with rooms for rent, replaced a two-story Crazy Water drinking pavilion in 1909. The first Crazy Hotel was built in 1912, and an annex was added to it in 1914. A fire in the Drug Store of the "Crazy Flats" (SE corner of the Crazy Flats building) on March 15, 1925, destroyed the entire Crazy block. The "New", completely rebuilt, Crazy Hotel was enlarged to cover the entire block. It opened in 1927, and replaced all of the burned buildings. The new building was promoted as fireproof, since it was built with solid cement walls and ceilings. The former "new Crazy Hotel" had a colorful past that included a daily radio show originating in its Lobby and broadcast nationally over TQN (the Texas Quality Network). It had survived the Great Depression of the 'thirties, World War I, the Korean "Police Action", and the Viet Nam War.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
A Brief History or a Statement of Facts of Mineral Wells, Texas

A Brief History or a Statement of Facts of Mineral Wells, Texas

Date: September 24, 1921
Creator: Berry, H. M.
Description: A booklet about the history of Mineral Wells, Texas, from 1881 to 1921.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
D.W. Griffith Presents "The Birth of a Nation"

D.W. Griffith Presents "The Birth of a Nation"

Date: April 1, 1924
Creator: Griffith, D.W.
Description: This photograph illustrates a souvenir program from the silent motion picture, "The Birth of a Nation, the Most Stupendous and Fascinating Motion Picture Drama Created in the United States. Founded on Thomas Dixon's story 'The Clansman' " The motion picture presents an early 20th-century Southern view of Reconstruction.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[An Aerial View of Mineral Wells]

[An Aerial View of Mineral Wells]

Date: 1920?
Creator: A. F. Weaver
Description: A panoramic view of Mineral Wells looking southwest from East Mountain, Poston's Dry Goods store may be seen in the middle left of the picture, and the Old High School, Rock Schoolhouse, and West Ward School are visible next to West Mountain skyline in the upper right corner of the picture.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library