You limited your search to:

  Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
 Decade: 1970-1979
[The Austin Well]

[The Austin Well]

Date: 1974
Creator: unknown
Description: This photograph shows the Austin Well as it was in 1974. A legend on the back of photograph reads: "Looking south shows remains of Austin Well in the foreground with the remains of what used to be the crystal plant. Across the street may be seen the St Regis box plant." The former Crazy Water Crystal plant, at the left edge of the picture, is now the St. Regis box factory This well is associated with a unique and romantic history: A cowboy rode a blind mare into Mineral Wells and auctioned her off for a dollar and a half. Mr. Austin acquired the horse, and put her to work drawing water from the well by turning a wheel to which was attached a rope, which with each revolution of the wheel, pulled a bucket of water from the well to ground level. Nellie was trained to pause at a point in her circular route long enough for the bucket to be emptied, then continue on to pull up the next bucket when it was filled. Blind Nellie was retired in her old age, but continued to walk a similar circular route in the pasture to which she was retired, ...
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Mineral Wells Fire Department  in 1975 ]

[The Mineral Wells Fire Department in 1975 ]

Date: 1975
Creator: unknown
Description: Shown in the top row are: Rene James, Weldon Hood, Jerry Kidwell, Walter Carter, Jerry Loftis. In the middle row: Eddie Bell, Eldred Fryer, Horace Roe, Bud Smith, Joe Knight, Kenneth Kinder. In the front row: B.H. Gilstrap, Eddie Fryer, Melton Brewton (Chief), Jerry Van Natta, Allen Fryer, Rickey Epperson, Larry Clutts, Louis Clutts, Butch Clutts, Gene Knerr, Davis Light, John Gilbert, Byron Kizziah, Bazil Wright, R.S. Purcell, W.G. Mullins, Sam Smith, Arthur Schulte, Cecil Holifield. Information for these names was taken from the back of photograph.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
 [The Mineral Wells Police Force and City/County Ambulance Service]

[The Mineral Wells Police Force and City/County Ambulance Service]

Date: 1974
Creator: A. F. Weaver
Description: Shown here is a picture of the Mineral Wells Police force and the City/County Ambulance Service, taken in 1974. From left to right are: Bennie Hutcheson, R.A. Hodges, Jim Elmore, Jimmy Davis, Walter Graves, Orville West, Montiford Parker, Henry Childress, Don Farriel, Larry Brandenburg, Bill Meaders, Raymond Jones, Mike Poe, Ricky Shank, Fred Foreman (Police Chief), Gene Knerr, Gilbert Sommerfield (Investigator), David Jared, and Ronnie Edwards. The information was taken from the back of photograph, which itself was taken at the West City Park. It is published on page 153 of A.F.Weaver's book, "TIME WAS In Mineral Wells."
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[Dedication of Little Rock Schoolhouse" Museum:  Senator Tom Creighton Addresses an Audience]

[Dedication of Little Rock Schoolhouse" Museum: Senator Tom Creighton Addresses an Audience]

Date: April 14, 1978
Creator: unknown
Description: This is yet another picture of the dedication of "Little Rock Schoolhouse" Museum. [See previous photographs for more details.] Senator Tom Creighton is shown addressing an attentive audience.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[Dedication of W.P (Bill) Cameron Mounument:  Sen. Tom Creighton Speaks]

[Dedication of W.P (Bill) Cameron Mounument: Sen. Tom Creighton Speaks]

Date: April 14, 1978
Creator: Weaver, A. F.
Description: Texas State Senator Tom Creighton delivers the keynote address at the dedication of a memorial marker to W.P. (Bill) Cameron at the "Little Rock Schoolhouse" Museum. Mr. Cameron was the Editor of the Mineral Wells Index newspaper, and an active and popular participant in local civic and social events. After his death, his family placed a marker in his honor at the museum. Members of Mr. Cameron's family are seated to the speaker's left, and the Junior High Ensamble, Director Vicki Carden, are on the museum steps behind and to the speaker's right, Please contact the collection webmaster if you recognize other persons in the picture. The marker has been removed, and its location iss not known at this time.[see previous photographs for more details.] Very dimly visible in an enlarged photo, inside the open door of the museum, is an original five-pointedwooden star that decorated a gable of the historic Hexagon House Hotel.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[Dedication of the "Little Rock Schoolhouse" Museum:  A Marker is Unveiled]

[Dedication of the "Little Rock Schoolhouse" Museum: A Marker is Unveiled]

Date: April 14, 1978
Creator: unknown
Description: A marker commemorating the conversion of Mineral Wells' first school to a museum. "The Little Rock Schoolhouse" was built in 1884, and though tuition was charged to the students to pay the teacher, the school building, itself, was built by the city. A granite marker to commemorate the conversion of the school to a museum was unveiled at this dedication.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Damron Hotel Fire, 21 of 21:  An  Early Stage, Looking East, Smoke Billowing]

[The Damron Hotel Fire, 21 of 21: An Early Stage, Looking East, Smoke Billowing]

Date: December 22, 1975
Creator: unknown
Description: Here is a view of the Damron Hotel (formerly located at 109 W. Hubbard Street)during the early stages of the fire (on December 22, 1975) that completely destroyed it. Built as the Colonial Hotel in 1906 by J. T. Holt for his second wife, and traded to Agnew and Bessie Damron for a ranch about 1917, the name was changed to reflect the new ownership. It was a popular hotel during the heyday of Mineral Wells--through the Roaring Twenties, the Great Depression and World War II.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Damron Hotel Fire, 19 of 21, Two People Looking South from North]

[The Damron Hotel Fire, 19 of 21, Two People Looking South from North]

Date: December 22, 1975
Creator: unknown
Description: The Damron Hotel was built as the Colonial Hotel in 1906 during the heyday of Mineral Wells as a popular resort city. Mr. J. T. Holt built it for his second wife, because she insisted that she would not live in the country. It was traded in 1917 for a ranch to Agnew and Bessie Damron, and the name of the hotel was changed to reflect the new ownership. It burned completely on December 22, 1975. This picture shows the front entrance under a dark plume of black smoke, with flames breaking through the upper floors of the front wall. Two people (one with a hard hat, and one without)stand observing the proceedings.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Damron Hotel Fire, 18 of 21:   Individual in Front of the Burning Hotel]

[The Damron Hotel Fire, 18 of 21: Individual in Front of the Burning Hotel]

Date: December 22, 1975
Creator: unknown
Description: The Damron Hotel, built as the Colonial Hotel in 1906 during the days that Mineral Wells was a popular resort, burned completely on December 22, 1975. It was built by Mr. J. T. Holt for his second wife who would not live in the country. It was traded to Agnew and Bessie Damron for a ranch about 1917 and the name was changed to reflect the new ownership. Shown here is another view of the front entrance to the hotel as flames burst through the front wall of the building. The gesturing individual with the hard hat has not been identified.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Damron Hotel Fire, 17 of 21:   Two Individuals on the Street Northwest of the Fire]

[The Damron Hotel Fire, 17 of 21: Two Individuals on the Street Northwest of the Fire]

Date: December 22, 1975
Creator: unknown
Description: Shown here is another view of the plume of thick black smoke at the height of the fire that completely destroyed the Damron Hotel December 22, 1975, along with two hard-hatted individuals (presumably fire-fighters) standing in the street. The hotel was originally built as the Colonial Hotel in 1906 by J. T. Holt for his second wife, because the second Mrs. Holt said that she would not live in the country. Mr. Holt traded the hotel to Agnew and Bessie Damron for a ranch in 1917, and the hotel's name was changed to reflect the new ownership. It was a very popular hotel during the mineral water industry's heyday through the Roaring Twenties, Great Depression and World War II.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library