You limited your search to:

  Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
 Decade: 1930-1939
Famous Mineral Water

Famous Mineral Water

Date: 1930?
Creator: unknown
Description: The Famous Water Company, founded by Ed Dismuke (still located at 215 NW 6th Street) has been restored, and still [2007] sells mineral water. The large concrete bottle depicts the original shape of the container of the product sold. Dismuke also established a plant on the east bank of Lake Pinto, west of Mineral Wells, to manufacture his "PRONTO-LAX" Crystals. He organized the Mineral Wells Lakewood Scenic Railway in partnership with local banker Cicero Smith, whose gasoline-powered "Dinky Cars" operated quarter-hourly between Lake Pinto and Mineral Wells from 1905 to 1909. The Famous Water Company currently sells three grades of water: Regular, full-strength mineral water; deep (400 ft.) well water; and deep-well water that has been ionized and filtered by reverse osmosis.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[Fishing at Lake Mineral Wells]

[Fishing at Lake Mineral Wells]

Date: 1938
Creator: unknown
Description: Fishermen stand below a cataract of the spillway of Lake Mineral Wells. The photograph was taken in 1938. On the reverse of the picture is the and-written legend: Picture taken by A. F. Weaver. This picture is featured in "Time Was in Mineral Wells...." on page 112.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[Four Golfers at Mineral Wells Country Club - 1930's]

[Four Golfers at Mineral Wells Country Club - 1930's]

Date: 1930?
Creator: unknown
Description: Four unidentified men in golfing knickers (apparently from the early 1930's, to judge by their dress) stand in front of, and across the lake from the original Holiday Hills Country Club house. They are putting on what is now the Number 12 green.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Grande Courts]

[The Grande Courts]

Date: 1930?
Creator: unknown
Description: A tourist court, built about 1930 by Charlie E. Turner, Harold Dennis, and Clarence Hunt is depicted here. It was located in the 1000 block of West Hubbard Street. Grande [pronounced "Grand-dee"--at least in Mineral Wells] Courts was a national chain of franchise motels. This picture appears in A.F. Weaver's book, "TIME WAS in Mineral Wells", second edition, page 99. The sign reads "Grande Courts Tourist Apts."
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[A Group of men at Inspiration Point]

[A Group of men at Inspiration Point]

Date: 1930?/1939?
Creator: unknown
Description: A group of businessmen and ranchers are shown at Inspiration Point in the 1920's. From left, they are (unknown); Mr. Henry Penix; Mr. Bowman; Mssrs. Henry and Charlie Fowler. Note the spurs on the boots of the Fowlers, and the cigars in the hands of Mssrs. Penix and Bowman. Inspiration Point, overlooking the Brazos in Southeast Palo Pinto County about ten miles south of Mineral Wells, commands a vast panoramic view of the rugged river valley stretching for miles below the viewer. It was a noted scenic attraction during the heyday of one of America's most popular health resorts. It is not available to the general public at this time, as it is located on private property.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[Inside of the Crazy Water Bottling Plant]

[Inside of the Crazy Water Bottling Plant]

Date: 1930/1939
Creator: unknown
Description: Handwriting on the back of this photograph identifies it as "Crazy Fiz 1930s" It is a section of the Crazy Water Bottling Plant, where carbon dioxide appears to have been added to the mineral water in order to compete with the popular soft drinks of the era. Note the bottling machine in the right foreground of the picture. Women are packing the carbonated "fizz water" for shipment.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
A Jinricksha

A Jinricksha

Date: 1930?
Creator: unknown
Description: Notes that accompany the photograph read: "Picture taken near the top of the thousand steps which used to climb East Mountain up NE 3rd Street. Path can still be seen going up the side of the mountain at this point." The souvenir picture was taken in the 1930's, and is believed to have been taken at the photographer's cabin, where the winding donkey trail formerly crossed the steps.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[A Lion's Club Christmas Project]

[A Lion's Club Christmas Project]

Date: 1938?
Creator: unknown
Description: A note by A.F. Weaver identifies this group as "Left to right: Lions, Cary Lodal, Moon Mullins, Charlie Johnson, "Santa Claus", Jess Pervine, Noble Glenn." The last four are pictured as sitting on the running board of a General Motors truck, which appears to be loaded with wrapped gifts. (No connection is known or implied, but since the "Santa Claus" in the picture is not identified, an interesting bit of local history is offered by way of suppletion: Rancher Charley Belding, a bachelor living west of Palo Pinto, was known annually to contribute (anonymously) truckloads of Christmas Gifts for needy children in the county.) Note the Hexagon Hotel in the upper right corner and the two gasoline stations, Gulf and Sinclair (H.C.) The picture appears to have been taken on the east side of N. Oak Avenue in about the 500 block. The Lion's club, mentioned in the title, is a service organization.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Lions Club Womanless Wedding]

[The Lions Club Womanless Wedding]

Date: 1935?
Creator: unknown
Description: Pictured here is the Lion's Club "Woman-less Wedding", a Community Entertainment Production sponsored by the local Lion's Club as a fund-raiser for local charity, and popular around the 1930's and 1940's. Participants are identified as: Seated; J. B. Courtney (Miss Fortitude), Charles Williams and Noble Glenn (Miss Applied). Standing; Cary Lodal, Dr. Holder, Bob Joiner, Jess Purvine, Cecil Young, Charlie Johnson and Frank Burney (Mae West).
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Memories of 1934

Memories of 1934

Date: 1934
Creator: unknown
Description: A 1934 Yearbook from Mineral Wells High School belonging to Nealia Dillard is shown here.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library